Civil Engineering with Architecture (1 Viewer)

M@ster P

HSC
Hi, I want to ask a few questions about this course Civil engineering with Architecture (CwA)

1. What are the advantages and disadvantages of taking CwA instead of the straight civil degree (such as increased employment opportunities, workload, etc..)?

2. Am I able to specialize in structural engineering or any other specialties (geotechnical etc...) when taking CwA

Thanks

KD

HSC
N/A
Hi, I want to ask a few questions about this course Civil engineering with Architecture (CwA)

1. What are the advantages and disadvantages of taking CwA instead of the straight civil degree (such as increased employment opportunities, workload, etc..)?

2. Am I able to specialize in structural engineering or any other specialties (geotechnical etc...) when taking CwA

Thanks
1. As far as The Institution of Engineers are concerned, they both qualify you as a Civil Engineer and you can work in any area of Civil Engineering (Structural, project/construction management, geotechnical, transport, water).

The CwA degree is really for those with a strong interest in design (both Civil and architectural) who want to broaden their knowledge and would like to work on innovative structures where a close association between architects and structural engineers is very beneficial. Companies like Arup (who did the WaterCube would be very interested in you).

I wouldn't do it if you don't have much interest in architectural design as you won't enjoy the workload. Architecture subjects (which would comprise about 1/4 of the course) don't have exams just heaps of big assignments.

2. You have professional electives and a thesis in 4th year that you can do in any area of Civil Engineering. See below:

School of Civil and Environmental Engineering: BE in Civil Engineering with Architecture 3624

M@ster P

HSC
thx any other opinions are welcome especially current students

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)