Civil Engo (1 Viewer)

LandCo

HSC
N/A
What does this entail? Is it like extension 2 math all over again?

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Civil Engineering is based upon the design and processes of statics.

By statics, I am talking about things that are designed not to move (like bridges, roads, walkways, etc), and are supposed to be strong and quite reliable over time.

Also, it can entail management, design and abiding of regulations of infrastructure. By this I mean as in places where people work, live or play.

In terms of what the actual study you do consists of, its not necessarily all 4U maths.

The most useful parts of 4U maths for you will be Mechanics, Volumes, Conics (in higher years definitely as every traffic intersection is based off conics lol fun fact) and integration. I'm guessing you will have to learn a lot about the logistics of regulations, knowing how to make designs and design plans that follow these logistics.

Also, there will be a major component of mechanics in which you will basically have to know every single thing about forces in the entire world lol. By this, I mean you will have to keep in mind all the laws of Newton, interaction of things and statics.

I'm not a civil engineer, but I did consider it at one stage last year and this is what I gathered from my research. My suggestion is to do your own lengthy research, go to Open Days and get to know what it entails, then have a feel for it and whether you are interested in it or not. Key thing about choosing engineering is to have an interest in the field you go into.

Also, mechanical and civil engineering are closely tied in their fundamentals at the start, however both lead off to very different paths. Statics and Dynamics are very different things.

Here is a sample plan of the program at UNSW. Do please consider other universities too and pick the one that suits you best.

http://www.engineering.unsw.edu.au/civil-eng

Best of Luck :)

seventhroot

gg no re
HSC
Well civo engo has the general engineering first year courses which everyone does like maths, physics, computing and design. math is more advanced at this level and so is physics.

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
One of my friends is a civil eng. and he said Extension 1 Maths is common throughout the degree. This includes physics, computing etc just as seventhroot said in the post before..
Good luck with your future studies ;)

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Well civo engo has the general engineering first year courses which everyone does like maths, physics, computing and design. math is more advanced at this level and so is physics.
When you say maths and physics are more advanced, surely you mean in terms of engineering in general?

Because most engineering streams will have a similar level of maths, which is obviously high.

seventhroot

gg no re
HSC
When you say maths and physics are more advanced, surely you mean in terms of engineering in general?

Because most engineering streams will have a similar level of maths, which is obviously high.
well yeah. there is no more learning "ohh newton did this" and "assess the environment" and all that crap. It is all mathematics based as I'm sure you know.

I've looked at the engineering program outlines and 99% of grad engineers (at least from UNSW anyways) would have done at least 24UoC of it and again it is not sub in some points but more the stuff we learn with stirfry about linear transformations and ODE's and that stuff

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
well yeah. there is no more learning "ohh newton did this" and "assess the environment" and all that crap. It is all mathematics based as I'm sure you know.

I've looked at the engineering program outlines and 99% of grad engineers (at least from UNSW anyways) would have done at least 24UoC of it and again it is not sub in some points but more the stuff we learn with stirfry about linear transformations and ODE's and that stuff
With reference to civil and mechanical though, you'll be dealing with forces all the time in latter years.

For someone in electrical, you'll barely ever have to deal with any forces with the exceptions of EMF and related areas.

seventhroot

gg no re
HSC
With reference to civil and mechanical though, you'll be dealing with forces all the time in latter years.

For someone in electrical, you'll barely ever have to deal with any forces with the exceptions of EMF and related areas.
this yes but you still have to do the maths later anyways

LandCo

HSC
N/A
Okay. Thanks guys! I don't think i should do civil engo. Probably engo overall. I seriously hate 4u maths.

wgy182

HSC
Just wondering, if I haven't studied physics in high school, will I struggle in the civil engineering course?
Will taking the bridging course for physics enough to understand the physics in uni?

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Just wondering, if I haven't studied physics in high school, will I struggle in the civil engineering course?
Will taking the bridging course for physics enough to understand the physics in uni?
Make a new thread and ask a few more questions. Will answer it sometime when I get the chance :)

As a quick thing, you will find it difficult at first, though if you have a solid maths background you should be fine.

seventhroot

gg no re
HSC
to answer your question, absolutely not. engo phys is all maths, so if you did 3 or 3/4U in high school you should be fine

wgy182

HSC
Make a new thread and ask a few more questions. Will answer it sometime when I get the chance :)

As a quick thing, you will find it difficult at first, though if you have a solid maths background you should be fine.
Thanks guys, I made a new thread.
to answer your question, absolutely not. engo phys is all maths, so if you did 3 or 3/4U in high school you should be fine

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Where is this said new thread I thought it was going to be in the engineering section?

In fact this thread is in the wrong section and I probably would have completely missed it if I wasn't on at the right time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)