civil w/ architecture (1 Viewer)

jblack01

HSC
hey guys im stuck,
i cant decide whether i want to do civil w/ architecture, just civil or just architecture.
Just a few questions:

1)Can anyone explain to me the actual difference between say a civil engineer(structural) and an architect?

2)Anyone done any of these courses? If so how was it? Recommed it?

3)Is it true if you do civil w/ architecture you don't actually get a degree in architecture?

4)If i did civil w/ architecture what does that mean in terms of future occupations?

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
hey guys im stuck,
i cant decide whether i want to do civil w/ architecture, just civil or just architecture.
Just a few questions:

1)Can anyone explain to me the actual difference between say a civil engineer(structural) and an architect?

2)Anyone done any of these courses? If so how was it? Recommed it?

3)Is it true if you do civil w/ architecture you don't actually get a degree in architecture?

4)If i did civil w/ architecture what does that mean in terms of future occupations?
1/ Simply googling the 2 terms would answer this question.

2/ My cousin does civil w/ architecture and i have some friends doing straight civil. Cousin said it's easy, but he's maths inclined and so did my friends doing straight civil for the same reason.

3/ Yes it's true. Civil w/ architecture is basically the straight civil engineering degrees with the electives being chosen for you, and the electives are some architecture classes etc etc

4/ You'll basically become a Civil Engineering and there is a massive shortage of civil engineers in Australia. However, the course is apparently very hard so you'd best ascertain that you want to do it and not just do it as it has excellent job prospects.

Also note that you can do a straight civil engineering degree, pick architecture electives and end up with the same degree as the civil w/ architecture degree.

I can't help much with the architecture part of your question though, sorry.

KD

HSC
N/A
Also note that you can do a straight civil engineering degree, pick architecture electives and end up with the same degree as the civil w/ architecture degree.
You can only do the architecture electives if you are in the Civil (with architecture) degree. The classes are not usually electives. They are actual Architecture classes that Civil put you in.

It is about a year of architecture subjects replacing general education and a few other electives from the Civil degree.

If you prefer artistic design do architecture. If you prefer more maths/physics/engineering design do Civil (with architecture). If you're not sure the type of Civil engineer you'd like to be just do Civil.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
You can only do the architecture electives if you are in the Civil (with architecture) degree. The classes are not usually electives. They are actual Architecture classes that Civil put you in.

It is about a year of architecture subjects replacing general education and a few other electives from the Civil degree.

If you prefer artistic design do architecture. If you prefer more maths/physics/engineering design do Civil (with architecture). If you're not sure the type of Civil engineer you'd like to be just do Civil.
The lecturer guy said you could pick the architecture electives even if you're not doing civil /w architecture (in which case the electives are set), and this was the really cool senior lecturer :/

KD

HSC
N/A
The lecturer guy said you could pick the architecture electives even if you're not doing civil /w architecture (in which case the electives are set), and this was the really cool senior lecturer :/
You can do any electives except the ones done in architecture due to class size constraints.

There is one exception: There is one elective called Project X which you can still do. It is a design course you do in groups with lecturers and students from COFA, architecture and Civil. If you're into design this would be the best choice anyway.

Example:
Project X3 – Real design, real contruction, real clients UNSW Built Environment

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
You can do any electives except the ones done in architecture due to class size constraints.

There is one exception: There is one elective called Project X which you can still do. It is a design course you do in groups with lecturers and students from COFA, architecture and Civil. If you're into design this would be the best choice anyway.

Example:
Project X3 – Real design, real contruction, real clients � UNSW Built Environment
Oh i see. Then i have been mislead! Thank you for pointing out my mistake :)

M@ster P

HSC
1/ Simply googling the 2 terms would answer this question.

2/ My cousin does civil w/ architecture and i have some friends doing straight civil. Cousin said it's easy, but he's maths inclined and so did my friends doing straight civil for the same reason.

3/ Yes it's true. Civil w/ architecture is basically the straight civil engineering degrees with the electives being chosen for you, and the electives are some architecture classes etc etc

4/ You'll basically become a Civil Engineering and there is a massive shortage of civil engineers in Australia. However, the course is apparently very hard so you'd best ascertain that you want to do it and not just do it as it has excellent job prospects.

I can't help much with the architecture part of your question though, sorry.
You can do that?

M@ster P

HSC

ok you can't

jblack01

HSC
yeh i think ill just do architecture, i mean i like maths and physics and stuff but i love the art stuff

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)