Class of 2012: Roll Call Ext 2 Eng (1 Viewer)

Aliyas

HSC
Really looking forward to extension 2! I've been writing loads of ideas in my journal and I can't waiting to begin writing. I've chosen to do a short story, probably something sci-fi/dystopian. The word limit is irking me, however. >.<

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Dystopian?

Why would you do something dystopian...?

Aliyas

HSC
Dystopian?

Why would you do something dystopian...?
I know it's probably overused, but it really interests me. I've been wanting to write a dystopian novel since about year 9 and I feel I could really execute it well enough to stand out.

It's not a straight-out dystopic story, but I'm intending it to seem more like a utopia at first, and then it gradually goes sour. There'll be more of an emphasis on the sci-fi facet anyway.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
someone I knew did a dystopian and it was brilliant. What's wrong with the genre?
It's just that like... 80% (give or take 20%) of the major works seem to be on that sort of post-modern, and dystopic, and nihilistic and crest-fallen tone.

If you want to write one though, go ahead.

Aliyas

HSC
It's just that like... 80% (give or take 20%) of the major works seem to be on that sort of post-modern, and dystopic, and nihilistic and crest-fallen tone.

If you want to write one though, go ahead.
I was reading through some Young Writers Showcase books today and I noticed that. I'm determined to make mine stand out from the crowd though. It'll be a tough job but I'm up for it :)

yours

HSC
I see what you mean. The one I read was fresh because it was unexpected and creative (I thought so anyway). It was about freedom of artistic expression. The ending was grim but it was appropriate to the genre. It also used a lot of humour which balanced the feel- it was witty, and this kept it away from that 'nihilistic' tone.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Don't think that just because those works in the Showcase are nihilistic, yours has to be too. I wrote romantic fiction and I still got a Band E4. So really, moral of the story is - write what you feel like writing.

(still not sure how mine deviated from satire to "her hair is so resplendent, framing her pretty face, with dark brown eyes to match... and it was a joy to stare at them for hours on end" etc. etc. etc.)

zazzoon

HSC
i am here, possibly a bit late?
I'm doing a short story from the point of view of girl, possibly schizophrenic, or with a similar mental illness, who begins to believe she is being written in a story by an unseen man, and that her story is coming to an end.

katemana

HSC
I'm doing a short story. We've actually got a relatively large Ext. 2 class at my school - there's 7 of us.

Caster

HSC
Hey.

Doing an animation/film.There's around 5 people in my class. :)

rainbowsandhats

HSC
N/A
Woah I'm probably eons late, but I'm doing a collection of poems - no-one in my school is doing poetry so I'm wondering is anyone here?

ZachyBC

HSC
Uni Grad
Erm... Well, hello 1 month before it's all due, haha. Zach, I'm one of about three people in the entire statewide course writing a stageplay.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)