Cloudstreet Reading stuff! (1 Viewer)

Mazey

Help?!
Im doing Cloudstreet for my critical study module and i've been given a stack of readings to analyse and... i have absolutely no idea where to start?! I dunno what to do like... what am i suppose to be looking at/for?! And can someone please tell me what a post-colonial reading is?!!

Thanks!!

Tia

Syd Mem
HSC
N/A
i know this is a bit late to help you... but regardless, i just finished Cloudstreet. The readings i focused on was a reading of 'celebration of life' where the characters all part in the novel and ultimately come together in the end <-- that's my personal reading though. Post colonial, i analysed too as a reading of the realtion to the Australian landscape and the longing for the land as well as the need for the land from the Aboriginal spirit who weaves into the book at various points, and acts particularly as a 'guide'.
Another reading i took up was a Marxists reading, where they are socially more disadvantaged and i look at Sam and his fingers, the fact that he gets no compensation, i look at Toby and his world and i look at the corruption of gambling.
i hope this all helped you, even though it's rather late. Sorry. New member.
Enjoy Cloudstreet ( i sure did, *cough* *splutter* )

;)

Mazey

Thanks!

Hehehe thanks i managed to get through my half yearlies lol!! I just hope i managed to sound convincing hehe!
I'll let u know how my "hard work" paid off! Argh!
Bye!

Nose Bleed

ex-loser
HSC
N/A
i'mnot doing cloud street, and forcing my self to read it anyway

its crazy!
its like and orgy, everyones nakid

Mazey

AAaargh ur reading it volunatarily?!! Hehehe nah im kidding its actually not a bad book really! :p I think its better studied though.. maybe not.. oh i dont know!

nerdd

apparently when Quick glows, it's symbolic of him being "jesus"
yup. it's apparently packed with spiritual meanings.
when you read it however you're like WTF?!

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
a post colonial reading is that the house is a metaphor for australia and the 2 divided families the settlers, etc. The breaking down of that division symbolizes the union of australian ppl and federation i think.

But yeah its one wierd book, way 2 abstract i reckon, but its alright as an HSC text cuz u could bullshit loads about it.

Tia

Syd Mem
HSC
N/A
freakout

Sum1 should load some of their Cloudstreet notes, i betcha all those who are doin' it are kinda confused, the other class doing 'In the Skin of a Lion' says the book is crap but there's heaps to talk about.
I flunked my 1/2 yearlies :( . i risked my chances and didn't stick to what i knew and wrote about something else 2 b individual and ended up failin' sorta n e way.
Share peeps, share :( :( :(

mishel

fish glowing

when quick glows hes apparently representing Moses coming down the mountain from receiving the 10 commandments. Read Exodus 34:29 it says "his face was shining because he had been speaking with the Lord". Although we don't know what happened to Quick out in the bush it is hinted that he under went some type of spritual enlightenment (he is changed once he returns home)

sorry im a new member probably not useful to u ...might help other though i guess =)

if anyones written anything about the symbolism of the River...itd be great if u could help me out ....oral report on monday arghh

michelle =)

Mazey

Hey wow u found a reference to the bible good work!! :p
Actually that'd be good to put in ur essay... found an interview with Tim Winton and the interviewer goes, "why does Quick glow?" and he's like: "No idea!" Lol!

Well i dunno how my trials went *fingers crossed* my question was a killer :S "Intertextuality relies on the harmonious interaction between form and ideas." aaargh!

Cloudstreets not that bad... just remember ur looking at OTHER people's opinions of the book and then remember to add in ur own. Good "opinions" to look at are A) Spirituality/religion in the book B) Feminism and C) Family or finding of place blah blah

Thats what i used anyway! :p
-May

Mazey

Michelle- Oops symbolism of river! Ummm its linked to the religious aspect of the book and lotsa important stuff happens around it, (Quick and rose "find" each other, Quick has important convos with mother etc) Seen as life giving cos Quick's always fishing there (ie gives food) and also cos it gives Fish his 'life back' by drowning him (therefore re-uniting him with himself). Begins and ends by the river. Elaborate on crap! :p

mishel

thanx heaps mazey i didnt think of the fishing giving them food as a symbol of life...very nice =)

Misturi

[Studying...]
HSC
When you are analysing a text try to remember 6 things:
1. Subject - e.g What is the topic
2. Purpose - e.g Which audience is the text targeted at?
3. Language - e.g Look for styles of language e.g emotive, formal.
4. Content - e.g What does the text consist of?
5. Techniques - e.g what techniques does the writer use to engage the audience
6. Form - Type of text e.g poem, discussion, exposition, article, interview, novel etc.

is a roflcopter
HSC
how many readings is everyone doing?

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
Hey i called the HSC Adviceline today and the teacher said when talking about readings you must name a critic who proposed such a reading. Is what she said true?... my class was never told about this - we were only told what each reading looks for, not who has read it in this way. What did your teachers say?

TastesGoodBut

by the way... you only need 2 readings... i have about 4 or 5 in mine... find a way to link your readings together so that it runs smoothely..

eg.. feminist runs with marxist well because he brings gender barriers closer together, but pushes class further apart... so u can start a paragraph with "bu while Winton integrates/reconciles gender, he fails to do so with class " or whatever and then lead into it...

i think its important to talk about narrative structure and magic realism and what this gives to the book. And they say your own interpretation is important, but quite frankly ive got just about fullmarks for my cloudstreet assessments this eyar without mentioning what i think really...

Im a bit of a guru at cloudstreet i really enjoyeed it - if u have questions about anything PM me - the readings i did are:

Post Colonial, Feminist, Marxist and leavisite but i do ahve notes on a bit of spiritual..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)