Cloudstreet (1 Viewer)

Bdogz

HSC
N/A
So how many perspectives (spiritual, post-coloinial etc.) is everyone doing? And also, how many quotes from other critical readings of it are you putting in (McGirr,Cooper)?

And when you talk about how context has influenced your interpretation is it ok to since i go to a catholic school i have formed a spiritual perpective etc.

Last edited:

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC
Erm, the way we have been taught is that you're not really supposed to LABEL the different ways of looking at the text- ie. you don't say 'this could be read feministly' or 'this is a post-colonial text', because the idea is, you're critically analysing in relation to your own personal understanding, not a literary critic.

Taken from Adv. English Marking Notes 2007:

'Unfortunately, some responses still placed an inappropriate and undue emphasis on the mere descriptions of ‘readings’ which overshadowed a close analysis of the text.'

Also, 'Central to the module is the development of deep knowledge and understanding of the text through personal engagement.'

I know you have this down pat, (or so it seems with your discussion of context), but I don't think quoting McGirr and Cooper is going to get you any extra marks.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
'Unfortunately, some responses still placed an inappropriate and undue emphasis on the mere descriptions of ‘readings’ which overshadowed a close analysis of the text.'

I don't think this is what OP is doing. However, it doesn't surprise me that this comes up.

Last year I gave about 4 different perspectives (Contextual, Heroic Spirituality, Feminism, Religious; if I remember correctly) with theoretical evidence to back it up. You don't necessarily need to justify why you believe what you do, you just need to be able to support your interpretation. So if you have a spiritual reading of it, you'd discuss the importance of things like omnipotent Fish, the ghost, and biblical allusions.

Bdogz

HSC
N/A
Im so confused, ive got my english coordinator at my school tellign us we need to have our own interpretations based around a spiritual, feminist, post-coloinial perspective etc then my english tutor is sayign it isnt necessary, but like i thought that the only way you can formulate your own interpretation is by reading it in one of those ways????????????????????????????????????????????

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC
Im so confused, ive got my english coordinator at my school tellign us we need to have our own interpretations based around a spiritual, feminist, post-coloinial perspective etc then my english tutor is sayign it isnt necessary, but like i thought that the only way you can formulate your own interpretation is by reading it in one of those ways????????????????????????????????????????????
As far as I know, you formulate your own interpretation due to your context. It doesn't have to be under a labelled heading, in fact we know that just covering the basis of different readings is frowned upon. Just extract a few things that you uncovered in your own reading- my ones were along the lines of - nostalgia, Australian identity, spirituality, reconciliation, importance of relationships etc etc...think of a possible theme and then flesh it out and turn it into a 'perspective'.

Bdogz

HSC
N/A
As far as I know, you formulate your own interpretation due to your context. It doesn't have to be under a labelled heading, in fact we know that just covering the basis of different readings is frowned upon. Just extract a few things that you uncovered in your own reading- my ones were along the lines of - nostalgia, Australian identity, spirituality, reconciliation, importance of relationships etc etc...think of a possible theme and then flesh it out and turn it into a 'perspective'.
Ok, so when talkign about your own context, how do you do so without discussing what school you go to, where you live, age, religion etc. coz how else would you tell the examiner how context shapes you perspective if they dont even know what your context is.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
You discuss the things which you found important in the text, and justify it with with your examples and (if you so wish) critical readings.

E.g.

'Like Wollencroft and Kemp, I believe the strength of women is a prominent theme throughout Cloudstreet. The can be seen through the characterisation of Oriel. Oriel defies traditional female stereotypes by being the main proprietor and operator of the Cloudstreet store.'

NB: Wollencroft and Kemp are both feminist literaries, though neither wrote on Cloudstreet. You'd use a more appropriate feminist here.

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC
You discuss the things which you found important in the text, and justify it with with your examples and (if you so wish) critical readings.

E.g.

'Like Wollencroft and Kemp, I believe the strength of women is a prominent theme throughout Cloudstreet. The can be seen through the characterisation of Oriel. Oriel defies traditional female stereotypes by being the main proprietor and operator of the Cloudstreet store.'

NB: Wollencroft and Kemp are both feminist literaries, though neither wrote on Cloudstreet. You'd use a more appropriate feminist here.
Wait, does that mean you're supposed to quote critics?

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
There is no easy answer to that. If they support your arguement, Yes. If you think your perspective is fine without them, No.

Do it however you want. People place far to much emphasis on what critical interpretation means. It's really not much different to everything else you've done in the past; its just a bit broader perspective needed, but that's about all.

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC
There is no easy answer to that. If they support your arguement, Yes. If you think your perspective is fine without them, No.

Do it however you want. People place far to much emphasis on what critical interpretation means. It's really not much different to everything else you've done in the past; its just a bit broader perspective needed, but that's about all.
Thanks, dude. You just cleared up the confusion I've had with this module. :)

A n d r e w

HSC
:dog::jaw::jedi::chainsaw::guitar::bomb::shoot:

I'm doing an assessment on Thursday where I have to listen to an interview and answer an unseen question. It requires me to explain how my interpretation of Cloudstreet is shaped by listening to an exerpt from an interview... Very screwed...

I have my own interpretation and that is that Cloudstreet is a nostalgic book. I could even go for spiritual or femenist because I'll always find evidence in the book for these... I just have no idea on what to put inside the essay! :(

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC
:dog::jaw::jedi::chainsaw::guitar::bomb::shoot:

I'm doing an assessment on Thursday where I have to listen to an interview and answer an unseen question. It requires me to explain how my interpretation of Cloudstreet is shaped by listening to an exerpt from an interview... Very screwed...

I have my own interpretation and that is that Cloudstreet is a nostalgic book. I could even go for spiritual or femenist because I'll always find evidence in the book for these... I just have no idea on what to put inside the essay! :(
I bet this will be the interview. We had a very similar assessment, and this was the video:

YouTube - Tim Winton in conversation with Martin Flanagan, May 08

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)