clutching at straws... (1 Viewer)

The Panda

poor poor me

please offer me ur consolations and encouragements for it was i, whose parents went away for the weekend, had a mental breakdown...didnt work till sunday... now i still dont know my texts and have just done one orientation day at david jones today and another tomorro....
how screwed am i? well i'll leave that up to u to decide....
but i have almost given up hope... poor old me... all i want is my 86 uai is that so hard to ask for? boohoo ... i'm sorry but apart from my girlfriend and my mum, this is the only place i can air my grievances

also if anyone would be so kind as to meet up with my at the state library on thursday to go over 3u u would be the greatest saviour ever!

help this poor delusional soul. THE PANDA!

laney

HSC
Okay, so we can translate the whole unseen in past right? just sometimes i have get brain block for the first sentence, and forget which tense the sentence is in. in which case i figure, go for past and then that'll cover me.

so past tense, except if reported speech?
is that right?

The Panda - ha, there's no way i'm leaving my house on thursday, i'll be learning the whole text. but if it's the english translation of the latin that you don't have, i have a copy of it, if that's what you need. :)

good lucky....

Meals

Latin

Yeah I agree with everyone when they say that the Latin syllabus has been made less exciting because we've had to memorise so much. And it's sad, because some people who really don't understand the language can still do really well! But I'm so glad that it's scaled as well as it is because it's so much to learn. I've had 7 days off and have been working consistently but there's still so much to do. As for 3U, definitely happening on Thursday. It's so easy compared to 2U that I can't believe it... But finishing on the last day has really made it lose a bit of its appeal.
Are you sure we have to read the other 3 Catiline speeches? I really don't think that's necessary... Although I have read them before cos we had to do a test on the English translation at school (commentary on the English rather than Latin!)

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Sorry to interrupt. :)

Is fissor a Latin word? If so, what is/are it's meaning(s)?

I don't really have a context for it, unfortunately.

Milly

Are you sure we have to read the other 3 Catiline speeches? I really don't think that's necessary... Although I have read them before cos we had to do a test on the English translation at school (commentary on the English rather than Latin!)
I've read them... but what could they possibly ask about them? Apart from "what happened after Cicero gave this speech"?

Is fissor a Latin word? If so, what is/are it's meaning(s)?
Hmmm... fissor... I don't know. There's a verb - findo, findere, fidi, fissum = to burst, split, divide - which could be related. If you go by patterns - usually nouns derived from the 4th part of a verb with an -or stuck on the end mean a person who is doing whatever action is described by the verb - it could mean "he who splits things" :p but that was just a guess...

help this poor delusional soul. THE PANDA!
Sorry Panda, I only do 2 unit... but I hope you get the help and the marks you want! Good luck for Wednesday and Friday everyone!

As for 3U, definitely happening on Thursday. It's so easy compared to 2U that I can't believe it...
Wow, is 3U really easier than 2U? I wish I'd done it! Except my teacher refused to teach it to me - said it was too anal-retentive.

Last edited:

utopian731

Eudaimonian
Well Lazarus

fissor is a noun from

findo, findere, fidi, fissus V
split, cleave, divide;

therefore, fissor would mean, "the divider"

Meals, seven days is heaps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
my latin staudy usually goes into the small hours of the mornin before

ew

The Panda

ok quickly if any of u arent studying....

plz tell me this:
wat method do u use to learn texts the fastest?
a) reading and memorizing
b)listening and memorizing
c)writing and memorizing
d)other one i havent thought of

plz reply quickly!!!my uai is at stake!

utopian731

Eudaimonian
I just learn it in 30 line blocks whre i read through it with the english and the latin, working out which word means what and then keep reading it off the latin until i get it right...
i find that its much easier to learn ti wit the latin and not just learn and english translation, cos then the latin is like a base for you to work off if you have a mental blank

luck

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)