Co-op Scholarship eligibility (1 Viewer)

justjared

HSC
N/A
I was just wondering..if i completed half a yr of tertiary education and then decided to drop out in August this yr...is there any opportunities to apply for a co-op scholarship at unsw?

Completed my hsc in '11

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
You can apply as normal but no doubt if you're already in uni, they're going to ask you what happened.

justjared

HSC
N/A
Oh wow..so i can still apply?

Thanks for that ;)

I'm not considered as a high school leaver then?

D94

HSC
N/A
People occasionally drop out, so then places become available (check the website). However, you can only apply for the year you're group was selected, ie. if you're a second year, then you can only choose the second year co op group of available places.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
Co-op is not a great deal. There was a post somewhere breaking it down mathematically/financially recently.

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
Co-op is not a great deal. There was a post somewhere breaking it down mathematically/financially recently.
yes this is very true, I used to think the same thing

Although it ignores the fact that you can network like a motherfucker into already well established companies. You do have to sacrifice your summers for it, though, but if you're a career minded fellow and don't mind selling your university experience, then you can gain some invaluable contacts in the industry.

Cl324

HSC
N/A
But isnt that specifically referring to people who deferred co-op for a gap year and then undertook tertiary education?

I havent done that.
One line above that states that Coop deferrals are not allowed. So basically you cant apply as a high school graduate
But they have openings atm for first years so you can just apply for those

_deloso

HSC
What is the criteria that they go under if I choose to apply for co-op as a first year? because in the website, it only says that only high school leavers can apply.

justjared

HSC
N/A
One line above that states that Coop deferrals are not allowed. So basically you cant apply as a high school graduate
But they have openings atm for first years so you can just apply for those
But if I'm not at UNSW i cant apply for those can i?

Last edited:

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
If I'm understanding what you mean, no lol why would you think that you could?

Co-Op Scholarships are *specifically* for UNSW students

justjared

HSC
N/A
Yes they are for UNSW students but If i drop out of uni before the census date in August i technically am not in any university.

So then how does that work if i wanted to apply for co-op?

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
basically you're still a high school applicant a year after you complete the HSC

as long as you haven't gone to any other institution during those 12 months, I think you should be fine

you should really take all this up with the Co-Op office though

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
Why would they (assuming you were then eligible) even consider someone who has already dropped out of (or intends to) uni once before. Makes no sense for them to.

Cl324

HSC
N/A
If you're going to drop out in August might as well drop out now.
But I dont think a small chance of getting into the program is worth a wasted year

justjared

HSC
N/A
the census date is not in August?

the census date is in like 2 weeks

https://my.unsw.edu.au/student/fees/CensusDates.html
If you didnt read my first post, i am going to do my degree for one semester till august and will decide up until then before i drop out. This means il only have done one semester of tertiary study. This is just a potential back up plan in case things dont work out.

Of course i hope my degree works out but i am thinking ahead and seeing what options i will have down the track

But i will take this up with the co-op office.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
People occasionally drop out, so then places become available (check the website). However, you can only apply for the year you're group was selected, ie. if you're a second year, then you can only choose the second year co op group of available places.
Pretty much this but that's calculated with reference to time until you graduate if accepted.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I'd say relevant work experience and improved job prospects are difficult to quantify into a forum post analysis :)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)