Co-Op (1 Viewer)

Curry

Zacsik!
HSC
Well, when we went to the Intro talk for prospective Co-op scholars, they showed the list of the available scholarships for engineering courses, Mining had the most, 6, followed by Materials with 5. Thats what they said.

jang

is not my real name
HSC
hmm:
a lot of the sholarships seem to be very 'kind' should i say... different to the merit scholarships of usyd...

"Selection will be based on financial need and consideration of social/economic circumstances which might otherwise hinder a successful transition to UNSW. Applications close 30 September."

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
So we're talking engineering only, then.

Still, considering many other engineering courses have more than 6 co-op sponsors (materials has 10), that must mean the not all sponsors actually sponor somebody.

So hypothetically, it's possible if the sponsors don't like any of the people, nobody will get a scholarship?

jang: What's your point? If you'd ever lived outside Sydney you'd know how hard it is for rural students to go to uni in Sydney - and we are worth no less than people from Sydney, regardless of running stereotypes.

jang

is not my real name
HSC
Slide Rule said:
jang: What's your point? If you'd ever lived outside Sydney you'd know how hard it is for rural students to go to uni in Sydney - and we are worth no less than people from Sydney, regardless of running stereotypes.
wasnt implyin nuffin bout that, but watever...

Curry

Zacsik!
HSC
jang said:
hmm:
a lot of the sholarships seem to be very 'kind' should i say... different to the merit scholarships of usyd...

"Selection will be based on financial need and consideration of social/economic circumstances which might otherwise hinder a successful transition to UNSW. Applications close 30 September."
I doubt it. Is this considering Co-op scholars? Besides, I don't mind, I can use the money.
Slide Rule said:
So we're talking engineering only, then.

Still, considering many other engineering courses have more than 6 co-op sponsors (materials has 10), that must mean the not all sponsors actually sponor somebody.

So hypothetically, it's possible if the sponsors don't like any of the people, nobody will get a scholarship?
Maybe. I think that also applies if no one actually gets the cut off required for the Co-op program.

Idyll

HSC
Slide Rule said:

I think it's actually a case of not all the sponsors sponsor a place every year.

i.e. they might sponsor a place every second year. Some of the sponsors might not be large enough to afford one place a year.

Oh, and there were 15 places (possibly 16) available in the co-op program in actuarial studies for 2005.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
It says that Co-op winners get $13 400 p.a. to use at their discretion...does that mean you essentially win $40 200 to use for whatever you wish, whether personal or educational? (assuming a 3 year course)

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Slide Rule said:
Are you speaking from personal circumstances? (noting the use of the word "we") - hence the vehement reply to jang.

fitz33

HSC
~ ReNcH ~ said:
It says that Co-op winners get $13 400 p.a. to use at their discretion...does that mean you essentially win $40 200 to use for whatever you wish, whether personal or educational? (assuming a 3 year course)
yes, except that i think the shortest course you could do on coop is 4 years

jang

is not my real name
HSC
~ ReNcH ~ said:
but u are working for the Co-op sponsor so i tihnk the 13400 is earnt rather than won? i guess the experience is more valuable - it sets u up for life i hear...
i tihnk the 3 year course becomes a 4 year course because u may not be working fulltime at some stages

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
jang said:
but u are working for the Co-op sponsor so i tihnk the 13400 is earnt rather than won? i guess the experience is more valuable - it sets u up for life i hear...
i tihnk the 3 year course becomes a 4 year course because u may not be working fulltime at some stages
Hmm... the money is nice, the industrial training is also lovely... but the idea of being chained to your sponsor after your degree, as well as having an extra year put on your degree and not being able to do combined or double degrees appears to enough to nullify those advantages.

So with the extra year added to, say, a 3 year degree, would the amount of money you get be 13.4K * 3 or 13.4K * 4?

~ ReNcH ~ said:
Are you speaking from personal circumstances? (noting the use of the word "we") - hence the vehement reply to jang.
Yes.

PhiL

Slide Rule said:
Hmm... the money is nice, the industrial training is also lovely... but the idea of being chained to your sponsor after your degree, as well as having an extra year put on your degree and not being able to do combined or double degrees appears to enough to nullify those advantages.
Thats not true. theres no "chaining to your sponsor" after you have finished your degree. you work with several companies and then wen you finish your degree you will usually not guaranteed, but get an offer with one of these companies but you have not obligation to work there, its your choice. plus i would much rather be in this position being "chained" to a compant than coming out of uni trying to find a job against all the other graduates.

also, you get to do a doube major im pretty sure - for accoutnign you must do it in that , accounting , but can also choose from finance or economics, ithink but i mite be wrong

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
fitz33 said:
yes, except that i think the shortest course you could do on coop is 4 years
Is that 4 years including the industrial training? Coz BCom is only 3 years stand-alone.

fitz33

HSC
yeah, 4 yours because of the IT
its staggered throughout your degree (one 3month and two 6month stints for actuarial, 3 6month stints for other commerce)

kheir

HSC
um im doin law/commerce degree at unsw does thta mean im eligible for all those commerce scholarships , cadetships.. n if so how do i get to those stuuf help would be appreciated also can i get one scholarship for com and another for law or am i juss being too greedy now

Last edited:

Curry

Zacsik!
HSC
kheir said:
um im doin law/commerce degree at unsw does thta mean im eligible for all those commerce scholarships , cadetships.. n if so how do i get to those stuuf help would be appreciated also can i get one scholarship for com and another for law or am i juss being too greedy now
Not really sure about continuing student. Check it out at http://www.co-op.unsw.edu.au

CrashOveride

HSC
You have virtually zero chance as continuing student for co-op, as a shortlist already exists for people who applied from high school.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)