• Group: $40hr or more

Votes: 78 7.6%
  • Group: Other (pelase post below)

Votes: 7 0.7%

• Total voters

Affinity

HSC
bobness said:
pfft i allow students to email me work (i only tutor english and histories/humanities) in between lessons which i find not many tutors can offer. and i live in the west but i don't see your reasoning behind why we should charge cheaper rates if we ourselves are willing to commute. besides my house which i've paid off mortgage (well parents' actually :D) would cost more than some guy living in gentrification at pyrmont..so there goes your whole 'income status' argument
You seem to have misunderstood me, and I don't quite get what you are saying here either. I didn't say anything about one should charge cheaper rates if one is willing to commute. rather I am just saying that the price that could and should be charged varies with the suburb which the session is held, and that's purely because the prices are that way, not trying to rip off richer people or anything

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
i was saying how if we ourselves are willing to commute, then the corresponding rate should be higher due to time/effort involved.

also i don't see it as 'ripping off richer people'. i see it as meaning the sydney west tutors getting ripped off. in all fairness, somebody living in bondi should have the same rate as somebody tutoring out in blacktown given all other things equal.

then of course we can go to the statistics which suggest northern/eastern suburbs students score more highly than their western/southern counterparts. but of course there are some smart cookies out here!

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
I think it really depends on your ability to teach the stuff. Who cares if someone got 98 in a subject if they can't teach it - particularly if you are teaching it to a students that is having particular difficulty with the material (imo you need an education degree to tackle that properly).

I did tutoring for 3 years (stopped this year) and only charged up to 22$ per hour.
I think what made me a good tutor is that I had to work way harder than the average person to get my marks in school (and now in Uni) so I have a good understanding of what it is exactly that people are getting stuck on, then suggest strategies to help. Most of my students improved, though it would be arrogant to not view their motivation as an important factor in that.

CurioCity

Banned
HSC
N/A
kimmeh said:
30ph is expensive for anyone. tutoring colleges charge about 20ph with qualified teachers teachnig you. If not less-Mind you this is in groups. I know a tutor (who has his own college) charges 130 ph one on one. Im guessing he's giving you more than tutoring in the hour.
depends whether the 30/hr is a one-on-one or a group rate though.
Like what was also mentioned - qualification, expertise and experience are all important factors when determining rates.

true, tutoring colleges may charge only about 20/hr for qualitied teachers - but is that on one-on-one or group? that would determine how much personal time you get in that hour.

carkeys

HSC
It also depends on what you are doing at Uni! It's all well and good if you got top grades in English at school, but if you are not doing it at uni then of course you are going to become a bit rusty on it. I also agree with the people that believe that it comes down to the individual. I mean us people who are actually studying to become high school teachers at uni are learning what the best ways to teach are and how to get results, that, coupled with a great UAI (not all people that go into uni only get in the 80's), should definately make you a more valuable tutor.

Hallatia

HSC
I am in year 12 and am going to start tutorring year 7 and 8 children in maths, english and science, I have a tutorring certificate from tafe, I have no problem negotiating the price, but I think $35 an hour would be fine, but I am just curious about how often I should see them and how long I should make the sessions, because I do have a HSC

ihatewriting

HSC
I think private lessons are more usefull. So I like it more. Usually I pay 35-40 or more. It depends on subject

ihatewriting

HSC
Some my friends study in groups. They say the price depends on number of students in group.

Aplus

HSC
N/A
Group: $30/hr give or take seems fair. I'm not sure about Private Tutoring because I've never had one.

shayla

HSC
For maths tutoring i get charged $30 an hr a week and for modern history/English i dont know its about $20-35 an hr (dont know cause its always every holidays for about 4-5 hours).

kraziee

HSC
Feed Your Brain And Keep Your Wallets Fat !!

hey muffinman and all,
yes im another one of tutors contributing to this lovely thread!
the subjects i would be tutoring are published below (along with marks gained in hsc)

Economics - 98%
Physics - 96.5%
Biology -93%
Legal Studies- 92%
Business Studies -91%

My rate is $25/h (negotiable)

if interested you can shout me an email:

Hotmail - mz_1mpr3ssiv3@hotmail.com

or give a ring

1. 0432 529 044
2. 0433 594 027

CIAO !:)

kraziee

HSC
hey muffinman and all,
yes im another one of tutors contributing to this lovely thread!
the subjects i would be tutoring are published below (along with marks gained in hsc)

Economics - 98%
Physics - 96.5%
Biology -93%
Legal Studies- 92%
Business Studies -91%

My rate is $25/h (negotiable)

if interested you can shout me an email:

Hotmail - mz_1mpr3ssiv3@hotmail.com

or give a ring

1. 0432 529 044
2. 0433 594 027

CIAO !:)

Sarah182

Herpes Member
HSC
My maths tutor is $62.50 for 1 hour!!
Shes really good though and used to be the head of maths at a private school in Wollongong. In a year I boosted my maths results from 51% in an exam at school to 90 in my SC.

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
Sarah182 said:
Shes really good though and used to be the head of maths at a private school in Wollongong. In a year I boosted my maths results from 51% in an exam at school to 90 in my SC.
If you're getting coached for mathematics once a week, that's approximately $3250 per year...

Aplus

HSC
N/A
Well my maths tutoring is about $90 a week, except it's 3 hours.

Omium

Knuckles
HSC
Sarah182 said:
LOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL
90 in SC
er That really means nothing..

School ceritifctae for maths doesnt reward smart students. It rewards students who think like wierdos and have a twisted mind. The Questions are there solely to trick you.

Aplus

HSC
N/A
My maths teacher said the SC was a joke and was designed to make the Government look good.

Sarah182

Herpes Member
HSC
Yeah Im thinking of changing I have a friend who did her HSC last year and did 4 unit maths. her uai was 96, shes 2 hours for $60. It sounds like we're talking about hookers!!

rnitya_25

Abhishek's Rani..
HSC
Never thought about it that way...but thanks for throwing it into my head now..

I think anything beyond 50bucks per hour is unreasonable. you're just a tutor, no matter how smart or good you are, if 50 bucks isn't good enough, you should be a professor. i charge 25 now, i used to charge 20...and my students are happy with that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)