Coffee with Sam Dastyari (President of Young Labor) (1 Viewer)

zahid

Sheikh Mujib-ur-Rahman
HSC
yeaup... I am having coffee with Sam Sam Dastyari (president of young labor) today at around 4pm. Anyone got any issues to bring up?

Its like sooo damm cool.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
How does he think Labor is going to deal with potential wedge political issues such as national security, minority rights, etc without (a) ostracising themself from the electorate or (b) becoming in line with the Liberal Party / going overboard trying to meet their stance.

zahid

Sheikh Mujib-ur-Rahman
HSC
MoonlightSonata said:
How does he think Labor is going to deal with potential wedge political issues such as national security, minority rights, etc without (a) ostracising themself from the electorate or (b) becoming in line with the Liberal Party / going overboard trying to meet their stance.
serious questions only. :rofl:

gerhard

HSC
do you really believe in the return of national service, or is that simply a cheap attempt to appeal to conservative voters

Generator

HSC
N/A
zahid said:
yeaup... I am having coffee with Sam Sam Dastyari (president of young labor) today at around 4pm. Anyone got any issues to bring up?

Its like sooo damm cool.
Why would a member of the Greens be meeting with the President of the NSW Young Labor group (humour me, please)? I mean, you did leave the ALP a few months ago, did you not?

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
zahid said:

Its like sooo damm cool.
Not really, these people aren't that important. I've had coffee with Alex Hawke a number of times, and just about everyone who signs up for the YL's meets up with him first.

Generator

HSC
N/A
withoutaface said:
Not really, these people aren't that important. I've had coffee with Alex Hawke a number of times, and just about everyone who signs up for the YL's meets up with him first.
What does he have to say to those who are likely to be a wet? Do such people even bother with today's Young Libs? I'm asking this as one seeking a serious response, too.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
He's pretty anti-wets, yes they do bother though but they either stay silent on social issues, or they have their own faction which is effectively secluded from the rest of the YL's.

zahid

Sheikh Mujib-ur-Rahman
HSC
Omg omg omg omg...he is like soooooo damm awesome. He got into young labor during high school, and is a personal staff of a member of state parliament (forgot the mp's name). Anyways we talked about loads of stuff....he is sooo much like me I swear. Yeah I asked him about the Draft thing...he said that "the whole issue about drafting, got ballooned up by the media...he suggest that we should have a more well rounded and diverse education system"...and he is right.

@Generator- Yeah I didn’t really quit...but was about to call the local member and tell him that it was over...at the same time I was in contact with the Greens...but nothing really happened.

Anyways today Sam has proven to be that there are like minded people around, working to achieve a purpose...He is a totally awesome person.

Oh and he does not want to enter public life until he is a little older..."inside it is very brutal".

Next week, we are going to have another little chat over at starbucks.

Generator

HSC
N/A
zahid said:
Omg omg omg omg...he is like soooooo damm awesome. He got into young labor during high school, and is a personal staff of a member of state parliament (forgot the mp's name).

Anyways today Sam has proven to be that there are like minded people around, working to achieve a purpose...He is a totally awesome person.

Oh and he does not want to enter public life until he is a little older..."inside it is very brutal".
If he truly wants to help the ALP, he would get out of the MP's office and hit what many call the 'real' world for a time. Personally, I don't see much of a problem with someone working in a political capacity before they make a break for a safe seat (one set aside by the factions, of course) because one job is just as real as another, but it would be, well, nice to see a bit of variety within the ALP's ranks. Taking such a 'real' world job for a time would also help him in a personal sense, too, because the supposed idea that many politicians lived a 'sheltered life' prior to their parliamentary career seems to upset many of those out in the 'real' world.

Last edited:

zahid

Sheikh Mujib-ur-Rahman
HSC
You know generator...I swear he used the words "sheltered life" at one point.

leetom

there's too many of them!
HSC
Just out of curiosity, how did you come to meet with him? I mean, you're not bad zahid, it's just that your overt Islamic inclination will be of no help to Labor's cause and I fail to see what benefits you could bring to the party.

I agree, MoonlightSonata's question was a serious one.

Generator said:
If he truly wants to help the ALP, he would get out of the MP's office and hit what many call the 'real' world for a time. Personally, I don't see much of a problem with someone working in a political capacity before they make a break for a safe seat (one set aside by the factions, of course) because one job is just as real as another, but it would be, well, nice to see a bit of variety within the ALP's ranks. Taking such a 'real' world job for a time would also help him in a personal sense, too, because the supposed idea that many politicians lived a 'sheltered life' prior to their parliamentary career seems to upset many of those out in the 'real' world.
You mean something different from the standard ALP-lawyer type? I think if 2007 ends in a Beazley defeat, the party should pick out a prominent union figure to assume command. Hopefully Shorten. He has an incredible capacity to connect with the 'average' man.

Last edited:

leetom

HSC
TerrbleSpellor said:
Of course Labor and young labor are in bed with terrorists like Zahid.

He met up with Zahid because he has the same views obviously.

As we saw with the cronulla riots, the ALP are in bed with these type people.
What evidence do you have to suggest that Labor is in leage with any sort of terrorist organisation? Kim Beazley has made statements following terrorist atrocities urging no mercy in the persuit and capture of perpetrators while Prime Minister Howard at the same time urged caution and moderation.

On the contrary, I imagine zahid went to some length to conceal his fervent pro-Islamic disposition.

Your efforts to convince yourself that Labor is somehow involved with a terrorist organisation, purely for the purposes of whipping up hatred of the ALP, remind me of the concoction of the myth of 'Jewish-Bolshevism'. You would have found yourself at home within an organisation dedicated to conjuring such lunacy.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
leetom said:
What evidence do you have to suggest that Labor is in leage with any sort of terrorist organisation? Kim Beazley has made statements following terrorist atrocities urging no mercy in the persuit and capture of perpetrators while Prime Minister Howard at the same time urged caution and moderation.

On the contrary, I imagine zahid went to some length to conceal his fervent pro-Islamic disposition.

Your efforts to convince yourself that Labor is somehow involved with a terrorist organisation, purely for the purposes of whipping up hatred of the ALP, remind me of the concoction of the myth of 'Jewish-Bolshevism'. You would have found yourself at home within an organisation dedicated to conjuring such lunacy.
Actually having spoken to a fair few people from the Labor left you'd be surprised how many support the PLO and the Iraqi insurgents.

leetom

HSC
The youth wings of both parties have a number of extremists, I'd imagine. Young Labor, leftist extremists; Young Libs, extreme social cons.

The senior organisations are different though in that Labor prevents its extremists from gaining access to the higher echelons of the party, while the Libs seem to embrace theirs.

withoutaface said:
He's pretty anti-wets...
Brogden would have you believe Hawke was instrumental in his (Brogden's) downfall.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
As far as I'm concerned, any high ranking member of a youth wing of a political party is there purely to brownnose themselves into Parliament. If they really cared about the issues, they wouldn't hide behind party platforms - they'd get out there and really speak their minds.

zahid

Sheikh Mujib-ur-Rahman
HSC
leetom said:
Listen mate. I made it very clear to him about my position in terms of my faith and discussed a lot about this. I am happy to say both Sam and I are on the same level.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC

Next week, we are going to have another little chat over at starbucks.
It's always awesome to imagine that these guys who like to sit around and drink coffee with random people and talk cheap shit are the people who end up running our country.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)