Coffee with Sam Dastyari (President of Young Labor) (1 Viewer)

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
zahid said:
Listen mate. I made it very clear to him about my position in terms of my faith and discussed a lot about this. I am happy to say both Sam and I are on the same level.
He supports the murder of aussie troops?

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
withoutaface said:
Well how else will they be home for christmas?

zahid

Sheikh Mujib-ur-Rahman
HSC
withoutaface said:
No, and nor do I. He like me believes that we should not have invaded iraq under a false pretext.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
You support the Iraqi resistance, and allow them to do what they will to defend their land right? Tell me how they plan to do this, if not by killing Australian troops.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
What is sams opinion on the withdrawal of troops - if he accepts that it was a false pretext does he equally accept that we should withdraw ASAP and just screw the consequences?

Oh yeah and I love the line: "inside it is very brutal"..... what kind of nancy boy is this guy?????

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
loquasagacious said:
Listen mate. I made it very clear to him about my position in terms of my faith and discussed a lot about this. I am happy to say both Sam and I are on the same level.
So the leader of young labor believes your crackpot (yes - they are) conspiracy theories about 9/11 and lets not forget the evil jews?

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Lets just clear up that you're quoting zahid and not me......

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
Not-That-Bright said:
So the leader of young labor believes your crackpot (yes - they are) conspiracy theories about 9/11 and lets not forget the evil jews?
hahaha. i think he'll keep that part to himself.

mr EaZy

punchbowl bro- its the best place to live !
HSC
SashatheMan said:
hahaha. i think he'll keep that part to himself.

i had cofee .... well... fish and chips and a sandwich with Dr. Peter Wong- the president of the unity party at NSW parliament last week.

its a small party- it gets only 60 000 votes nationally which isnt much- only a few seats

but its a party that is probably more in touch with multicultural affairs and contemporary issues- it is not shaped by past policies as the other parties are...

we also talked about what kind of research work he would like me to do (like conducting surveys at prisons targeting multicultural issues there), and whether some issues in the arab/islamic community need to be addressed like on campus, in the city or in the suburbs- it was really interesting- but my mate asked if he would like us to set up young labor - i got a bit distant

im not ready for politics- i like to identify with the message or the ideal but not the organisation or the party at this stage- im too young for thaat

if i was in parliament- id run probably as an independant-

this is my first step in getting there.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
Join the Independent Students' Association, designed specifically for politically minded students who don't or won't have a party affiliation. It's currently just USYD at the moment, but I am Very eager to get branches established at other unis. www.isa-usyd.org.

zahid

Sheikh Mujib-ur-Rahman
HSC
Phanatical said:
Join the Independent Students' Association, designed specifically for politically minded students who don't or won't have a party affiliation. It's currently just USYD at the moment, but I am Very eager to get branches established at other unis. www.isa-usyd.org.
why would anyone want to join your party?

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
zahid said:
why would anyone want to join your party?
It's not a party, though we do have fun. No, ISA represents something far more important. It represents an ideal. We are committed young people who feel that our political parties put politics ahead of the real needs of our compatriots. We criticise our student associations when they do something wrong, and we support them if (gods forbid) they actually do something right.

The Independent Students' Association is what our student unions and SRCs should be. A cooperative venture between students of diverse opinions and experience. Our members hail from both the left and right, all working together to benefit students. Our current major project is the OurBloodySRC.com initiative, but we're also working on a lot of other new and exciting projects, including "The Student Kitchen with Chef Beccy" providing recipes for cheap-as-free, easy-to-make, meets-all-nutritional-requirements gourmet cuisine for students, and on a domestic front, the USYD Student Card Collective, campaigning for smart cards to replace our existing paper student cards.

The problem I have with party politics is that it inherantly demands putting the Party line ahead of an individual, independent point of view. I like the Labor policy of cutting funding to Private schools, but I don't like Affirmative Action. I like the Liberal stance against Abortion, but I don't like pretty much everything else.

Independent thought is what makes democracy great, and Party politics is the corruption of that ideal. If we cannot stand for what we believe in, then what's the point of standing at all?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)