Coles Question (1 Viewer)

milocole

Plane Nut
HSC
Ive been working at Coles for a but now (casual dairy) and am only getting about 2 shifts a week, and neither have EVER been on a Sunday, and have noticed that other casuals dont get Sunday shifts either

Why dont i get sunday shifts, for quite a busy store?

Peartie

HSC
because casuals have to get paid MORE.....hence they can pay their like 14 year old part timers alot less then they have to pay you....for the same amount of work that gets done

greekgun

HSC
Well, some who is employed as a casual is supposed to fill in the time slots that cant be filled by the part timers and the full timers. Casuals are also used to cover for other when they cannot come in for work.

Ussualy the shift manager calls up the casuals who always say yes and who are reliable first, as there more likely to say yes to a shift, which saves the staff manager time. So say yes to alot of shifts so you can build your rep up, so u will be one of the first people called for shifts.

HSC
Do they even know that you're available on a Sunday?

Because we have the same casuals work every sunday, and others are asking the same questions as you.

CieL

HSC
Uh.... do you expect everyone to get Sunday shifts or something?

Also maybe because you're new? *shrugs*

Usually when we hire new people, we wait awhile until the losers quit.. then the people that remain get good shifts.

milocole

Plane Nut
HSC
CieL said:
Uh.... do you expect everyone to get Sunday shifts or something?

Also maybe because you're new? *shrugs*

Usually when we hire new people, we wait awhile until the losers quit.. then the people that remain get good shifts.
Well 80% of the store are new(yes they are hopeless 15year olds), and Ill give it another week or so before I say something, and im available after school (4-close) and from open-close on weekends, compared to some other peoples availablilities:jaw:

Anyway, does the grocery manager, dairy manager etc do the rosters or some main person?

(It dosn't help getting a slow and short income when you have been out of work awaiting the pay from coles and you half your bank in a few months)

michael1990

HSC
milocole said:
Well 80% of the store are new(yes they are hopeless 15year olds), and Ill give it another week or so before I say something, and im available after school (4-close) and from open-close on weekends, compared to some other peoples availablilities:jaw:

Anyway, does the grocery manager, dairy manager etc do the rosters or some main person?

(It dosn't help getting a slow and short income when you have been out of work awaiting the pay from coles and you half your bank in a few months)
I know at my work, the rosters are done by the Business Manager, Assistant Manager, Duty Managers or Events Coordinator. It varies week to week.

Peartie

HSC
at my store - woolies not coles - our rosters are done by our dept manager, whilst talking to store manager or store trading manager.

CieL

HSC
At my coles the line manager does the rosters.
So service manager does service rosters
Grocery manager to groceries, etc..

Are there any older people at your store that you can talk to and stuff?

I'd rather speak up sooner than later.

milocole

Plane Nut
HSC
Thanks for your help, will speak to Dairy manager when I can, I will just tell her that I would appeciate at least 3 shifts, and I will work my arse of when she is around

mcquinn

HSC
I was lucky, I work in Fresh Produce at Coles and everyone i work in is 25+ and im 17. Its a fairly small store so since i started, about a year, ive been given the 9hr Sunday shift and hardly missed any. I only have to work one more day during the week but still pulling in more than enough money for fuel, stuff etc.

I'd just make it clear to ur manager ur willigness and prove urself any other time u see them by working ur butt off and if ur young, maybe slipping it into conversation occasionally.

"I'll go and fill the I'M 16 AND CHEAAAP bananas and then get onto the grapes :D" ........smoooth

milocole

Plane Nut
HSC
At Coles, people clock in soon as they walk in the room (before they get changed etc.) Am I meant to clock in RIGHT on the exact time i start, or when I arrive, and am i paid if i clock in earlier. I see some people clock in, stand around and wait till its time and then go out???

P

pLuvia

It depends if Coles pays you by the minute which I doubt (the only place I know what does that is maccas), usually they pay you per 15 mins but if you are late 5 mins from when you start your shift you get deducted 15 mins off your pay lol

milocole

Plane Nut
HSC
pLuvia said:
It depends if Coles pays you by the minute which I doubt (the only place I know what does that is maccas), usually they pay you per 15 mins but if you are late 5 mins from when you start your shift you get deducted 15 mins off your pay lol
Sorry, im confused, im doing 8-1 tommorow for an example, so i should clock on at 7.50-8.10, i get paid for the extra 20mins??

And yes I have worked at maccas, just quit so used to the "paying by the minute thingy"

michael1990

HSC
pLuvia said:
LOL

No way???

My work pays by minutes. But if you're late by 5minutes, i don't think they deduct 15mins. Otherwise people would just be late 15minutes because they aren't getting paid for it anyway?

michael1990

HSC
milocole said:
Sorry, im confused, im doing 8-1 tommorow for an example, so i should clock on at 7.50-8.10, i get paid for the extra 20mins??

And yes I have worked at maccas, just quit so used to the "paying by the minute thingy"
I don't think so.

As for my work, they don't let you start early unless you're asked to.
Same as finishing late.

milocole

Plane Nut
HSC
mmm , ill grab one of my payslips tommorow and check how Im paid in my store, hopefully from when I clock on, clock off

G

Gavvvvvin

You can clock on 7 mins early/late and still get paid the same...

milocole

Plane Nut
HSC
So Basically you dont get paid for working an extra 5 or 10mins

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)