Collapse of Democracy in Germany... (1 Viewer)

Roy216

HSC
I was given a question on what could the germans have done to prevent the collapse of democracy, but looking through all the reasons for its failure i realised thats its collapse was imminent.

Reasons such as the treaty of versailles, hyper-inflasion, invasion of the ruhr, rise of hitler, street rebellions, german culture at the time seen as corrupting and streseman's death all seemed inevitable.

What are your thoughts?

enoilgam

HSC
Their collapse probably was inevitable, but there are a few things that they could have done to stop the collapse. Germany's economy was badly mismanaged by Stressman - contrary to popular opinion, Stressmans efforts didnt really benefit Germany's economy, it just covered up its faults. By building growth on borrowed money, their economy would have inevitably collapsed. The great depression was the absolute worse thing that could have happened and created the perfect storm which completely devestated Germany. If proper economic measures had of been taken, the GD impact might have been lessened, thereby reducing the likelyhood of Hitlers rise. Also, when Hitler was made chancellor, his popularity was in decline (the Nazi party was near broke). If Hindenburg had of realised this and prevented Hitler from ascending to the Chancellorship, chances are the Nazis power would have declined significantly.

If I were arguing this for an essay, I would say that although the collapse of democracy in Germany was probably inevitable, there was a small possibility that it could have been avoided.

Last edited:

Bored_of_HSC

HSC
Umm some of the articles in the constitution (48,22 and 54 from memory?) undermined the republic.
Adding to this the government failed to gain control of key institutions (army, junkers, judiciary, education system (most of these are the conservative elite)).

That's all i can remember off the top of my head. There're probably more. :)

Roy216

HSC
yeah i suppose issues such as the consititution and reparations could have been changed, thanks for the opinions

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)