Com/Sci textbooks (1 Viewer)

ValentinesM

HSC
I know that you can check for textbooks from the UNSW Bookshop website, but I just wanted to confirm which textbooks I definitely should/need to buy and which ones are excellent supplementary texts for these courses:

ACCT1501, ECON1101, MATH1151, MGMT1001.

Thanks heaps!!

cyl123

HSC
ACCT1501 - Prescribed Textbook only... dunno about practice set.

ECON1101 - Prescribed Textbook only

MATH1151 - Don't buy Salas. It's not needed in first year nor second year maths. The course notes (not shown on textlist but is required) are sufficient.

Dunno about MGMT

ValentinesM

HSC

MATH1151 - Don't buy Salas. It's not needed in first year nor second year maths. The course notes (not shown on textlist but is required) are sufficient.

Dunno about MGMT
Thanks!!!

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A

Dunno about MGMT
So, are you saying that we don't need anything for MATH1151? Damn, I already ordered the damn thing!

BTW, can you elaborate on the reasons as to why we don't need it?

Last edited:

cyl123

HSC
So, are you saying that we don't need anything for MATH1151? Damn, I already ordered the damn thing!

BTW, can you elaborate on the reasons as to why we don't need it?
You need the course notes for MATH1151 and MATH1251. The course notes include:
- Calculus notes and problem booklets
- Algebra notes and problem booklet
- past exam paper booklet
- course outline
For around $50, that is a very good deal. All material is written by UNSW Maths Staff so everything inside is relevant to the course.

Reasons for not buying Salas
- The textbook only covers HALF the course, the calculus component. The lecture notes and course notes cover everything you will need for calculus. For around $140, thats not such a good deal. Unless you are really struggling with the concepts or have no better use for the money, then I don't recommend it.
- Tutorial questions are based on course notes, not the textbook.
-The lecturers will tell you only buy it if required.
- I admit it is useful as a second hand reference, but if you really need to refer to it... there are always copies in the library.

For second year calculus (MATH2111-Higher Several Variable Calculus) it is useful, but again, it will only cover half of that course, and there is already another prescribed textbook.

Btw this is all based on personal experience, as I didn't buy it and I don't think it has affected me much for both first and second year maths. I maintain it is a good reference, but not essential.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
You need the course notes for MATH1151 and MATH1251. The course notes include:
- Calculus notes and problem booklets
- Algebra notes and problem booklet
- past exam paper booklet
- course outline
For around $50, that is a very good deal. All material is written by UNSW Maths Staff so everything inside is relevant to the course.

Reasons for not buying Salas
- The textbook only covers HALF the course, the calculus component. The lecture notes and course notes cover everything you will need for calculus. For around $140, thats not such a good deal. Unless you are really struggling with the concepts or have no better use for the money, then I don't recommend it.
- Tutorial questions are based on course notes, not the textbook.
-The lecturers will tell you only buy it if required.
- I admit it is useful as a second hand reference, but if you really need to refer to it... there are always copies in the library.

For second year calculus (MATH2111-Higher Several Variable Calculus) it is useful, but again, it will only cover half of that course, and there is already another prescribed textbook.

Btw this is all based on personal experience, as I didn't buy it and I don't think it has affected me much for both first and second year maths. I maintain it is a good reference, but not essential.
Ohhh thanks. BTW, has the syllabus changed for Actuarial Studies? Is it still fine to use like 2007 or 2008 course pack?

shinn

HSC
The course pack for math1151 contains a set of algebra and calculus notes, tutorial homework questions for both algebra and calculus, the course outline and past papers. You can purchase the course pack at UNSW bookshop.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)