• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Combined courses (1 Viewer)

EroticCity

I'm a little confused about combined courses in general.
What if i choose a combined course but I dont like one of the course that i chose..Can i drop one course? Can I not do a combined course when i first get into uni and then somehow change to a combined course? Confused? Well i am!!!
Can someone please simplify this whole combined course thing for me....

thanks

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
If you accept a combined degree and end up not liking one of your degrees, you can change to a different combined degree by changing one or both of your degrees (as long as that combination is allowed at your University). You can also drop one of the degrees altogether and just do a single degree, and you can also go from a single degree and pick up an additional degree:).

santaslayer

HSC
basically, u can pick up an extra degree (provided u have the marks for it), drop a degree, and also change the combined degree.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by santaslayer
basically, u can pick up an extra degree (provided u have the marks for it), drop a degree, and also change the combined degree.
about picking up an extra degree...you'd have to probably apply with UAC, unless u can get an Internal transfer
drop a degree yes
change the combined degree yes (provided u have the marks etc)

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Be very very very careful in dropping part of a combined degree program. I started out in Science / Law. When I switched to straight Science, I was no longer allowed to keep the credit for the law units that I had completed. So, I was suddenly short of units, and had to do extra Science units to make them up.

I understand that this has been changed, for Science / Law, but if you're in a combined degree program, be aware that there may be stupid rules like this that can make your life difficult.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Also in things like Science/Law where one of the two degrees is clearly dominant, the subordinate degree will have a lower CP prerequisite (and less subject prerequisites as well). If you drop down you will need to suddenly pick up units from the (previously subordinate) faculty in order to make up the graduation requirements for a full Bachelor's degree.

That's why double degrees are shorter than two seperate degrees - they chop out two semesters (eight subjects) of material.

EroticCity

But if ur doing 2 courses at the same time wouldn't it be really stressful??? How much longer does it take than if ur doing just one?

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Hey santa do u know if they let you drop your second degree in Combined Law at Wollongong?

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
Well usually its 2 courses kinda combined into 1 longer course. You usually do the same amount of subjects as you would do in 1 course, hence why it takes longer than 3 years. Usually when they combine 2 course of 3 year length, they take out all the electives, which might have been 0.5 or 1 year in length, so you get a total course which is 4 or 5 years, depending on how many electives each of the courses had.

I'd doing BBus/BComp atm, which is a 4 year course. I still do 4 subjects per semester which is the same workload as my old course. BBScIT (which is pretty much the same as BComp) is a 3 year course and BBus is a 3 year course too. Both courses have 1 year worth of electives (or 2nd major), hence why the total course ends up being 4 years, which is great.

santaslayer

HSC
Originally posted by Ms 12
Hey santa do u know if they let you drop your second degree in Combined Law at Wollongong?
They let u drop Law for sure, but im doubtful they will let u drop Arts only if that what you were enquiring about. :(

santaslayer

HSC
I have a friend at the same uni that was doing commerce/law, she didnt like law at all so she dropped it, now shes doing commerce (finance & marketing)/arts (communication studies) instead.

i only know of UTS which offer a single law course in sydney (97.50 uai) if thats any help to u ms 12

felafel

what are people's thoughts on com/law and arts/law going the same way as medicine?

ie. lower UAI entrance and interview and another external exam?

santaslayer

HSC
Originally posted by EroticCity
But if ur doing 2 courses at the same time wouldn't it be really stressful??? How much longer does it take than if ur doing just one?
i cant answer for all courses, but for my course alone (commerce/law) it would take about 6 years to complete if done seperately. It should only take 5years now since its combined.
i do 6 commerce subjects and 4 law subjects in the first year. The frst few years is pretty much commerce oriented until i get to the 4th year, which is pure law!

santaslayer

HSC
Originally posted by felafel
what are people's thoughts on com/law and arts/law going the same way as medicine?

ie. lower UAI entrance and interview and another external exam?
i don't recall being called up for an external exam or interview for law?
or are you saying that its leaning to that approach?
if so, then i wouldnt mind. everyone is still on the same boat when it comes to selection.

felafel

yeah im asking if anybody think it's leaning towards that way . . .

because that means like medicine, com/law and med/law will be a hell of a lot harder to get into!

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Because you have very little chance of being admitted as a candidate for a Masters degree in Commerce with your only prior study being a Bachelors degree in Arts.

dead prez

they usually make you do combined law because traditionally they want you to study another discipline.(and is that the right word)

theres no real reason for this i think. as far as i know in america theres no such thing as undergrad law.

okay..doing a combined law degree for example..in the 4th and 5th year its usually JUST law subjects..so you've finished the other degree. do they give you that degree or do you have to wait till you finish your combined degree?

cos that is stupid if they don't. what if you're part time and want to get into the workforce?

hmmm masters in commerce sounds good

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
Originally posted by abdooooo!!!!
tell me something... why would anyone want something like Bachelor degree in Combined Arts and Commerce for 5 years.

when you can do a Bachelor Arts for 3 years and Master of Commerce for 1 or 2 years... which is around the same amount of time or even less time and now you got your Masters...
Because it allows a person to study their interests which may not be covered under majors in the one degree, such as someone wanting to study marketing and sociology, or economics and resource and enviromental studies for instance.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)