• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

combined degrees (1 Viewer)

mattk210

HSC
hi. Still tossing around ideas for what to study next year. I'd like to know about combined degrees, because it strikes me I have very little understanding how they work. (specifically I'm thinking about combined commerce/science (adv math) at UNSW.)

Does one study 2 degrees at the same time, or one degree after the other? Either way, since the length of this combined degree is 5 years and individually they are 3 years, that would have to mean I work at a different rate to the people who aren't doing a combined degree. Does that mean I'd be in different classes to them?

also i was wondering about the general wisdom of choosing a combined degree. The reason I'm considering it is that I want to keep my options open. My interests are in maths and science, but I'm liking the idea of working in a financial position. However, a few people have suggested that I'm wasting time and effort and I should just pick one and if I'm not happy at the end, do the other one after. Can I get some advice?

much thanks in advance

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Most courses make you do an elective each semester. If you do a double degree, you don't have to do this elective, as it is taken up by a subject from your double. Hence, because of this, it takes less time. I'm doing a double at the moment, and I'm doing three of one subject, and one of another. You can choose to do additional subjects if you have the time as well, and that speeds up the timeframe required to complete the degree.

You would probably be in different classes to a lot of them. However, I'm doing Creative Arts as my 3 subjects, and will be in the same class as all those people for the three years. My one subject though, I will be in different classes to them, because they complete there required classes faster than me. However, considering it's commerce for me, I'd normally be in different classes to them anyway, so it's no inconvenience.

The best way to utilise a double is to want to be in a career which uses both. There would be quite a lot for Science/Maths, so I wouldn't worry in this respect. If you enjoy both, then go for the double.

mattk210

HSC
thanks for the info and advice. I definitely like the idea of speeding up the degree by picking additional subjects.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
It depends how long you main classes are as to whether you can do it. I have around 28 contact hours for my main course, and I still managed to fit in another two subjects this semester. As a lot of courses only have 16 or so contact hours, you should be able to fit 2+ in if your dedicated.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)