combined law - finishing law first? (1 Viewer)

mrbsting

HSC
Hi all,

Academic staff at Mq have given me different answers every time about graduating from my combined commerce/law degree. I am at a point where I have ditched my commerce subjects in favour of doing 3/4 law subjects per semester for the past 2 years, and I am close to satisfying the 72 credit points quota. I only have remedies and litigation to go.

I was wondering if anyone managed to graduate from their law degree prior to graduating from their other degree?

cheers.

Lou283

HSC
MQ don't like it but as far as I am aware you can. I don't know how, but I know someone who did the whole graduation ceremony and everything for law and still has a year of her BBA left. Sorry I can't be of more help - all I know is that it has been done but they don't like to do it.

mrbsting

HSC
Thanks for that lou!. Yes it is a bit weird, but there's no mention of it that you can't graduate and in the handbook it says once you reach 72cp you "satisfy the requirements of the law degree". I just don't like Commerce and for the record I did try and transfer to BBA but it got rejected ;S

sean1990

HSC
this is interesting for me.
I transferred and fell behind in some of my finance units.

So basically, after people and planet, I will have 2-3 units left in my comm degree but will be on par to finish law.

This interests me as if i was allowed to graduate from law without completing those 2-3 units, I would be able to do my 6 months PLT (practical legal training) whilst still completing those units. Even if it took me a year to do 3 units, I'd still be getting PLT whilst finishing my degree, hence not making my studies longer.

Don't have to worry about it for a while but interesting to keep in mind.

Monstar

HSC
Genuine question; is law at macquarie any good? as in, is it prestigous?

The reason why i ask is because I see law kids at big 4 accounting firms doing audit.. Obviously to me that doesn't seem like a first choice grab for a law student. What do you guys think?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)