Combined Law (1 Viewer)

ghostrider

well these days if u get into law at either syd or unsw then u kinda are super freaky... one of the strange things is that i assume most of the people getting exttremely high mark (above 99.4) have all their subejcts skewed towards the sciences and maths. most of the people doing humanities whose subejcts point them to a course such as law would have no chance in hell of gettin those marks..

your thoughts.?

Soul

New Title...
mate, f*** aye

Well it is a strange phenomenon isn't it...

I mean due to scaling and all that, all the people with technical maths and science oriented minds are easily able to get in! but the people doing humanitarian sort of subject such as legal studies (ironically hehe) or other english based humanities subjects often won't get it...

ironic, unfair and sad isn't it...

just some thoughts as well...
1. lots of azn's get in because they are good at maths = scaling
due to the value placed upon them by their culture to succeed academically
2. lots of people get in on maths/science backgrounds as opposed to humanities backgrounds due to scaling (as mentioned before AND I REPEAT IRONIC
3. Obviously the Uni's take the people with the highest UAI despite the fact that there are many other, just as suitable and passionate potential law students...
4. A lot of people actually do law because they just happened to get the marks to get into it and well "ooh the prestige!, grandma and my parents are really pushing me to do this!" just so their parents can proudly exclaim 'oh well, my son is doing law..."
5. the people who get the 99 uai to get into law are like robots, super freaks! as you say mate, they've been pushed all their lives to academically excel and thus they have a head start during the HSC because, well, they've been trained to excel

So... i don't want to whine hehehe but really... does this system really create the best lawyers? people who are not super freaks? people who the normal person can relate to? people who are not elitist?

haha ok that's the end, outta my system, don't worry g-rider, you and me are going to shake up the foundations of the establishment...even if we need to go MAQ law (its not that bad!)

HELP NEEDED

I'M Glad

I know plenty of people at my school who are going to get 99 and i know a lot of them are complete nerds who find textbooks the thrill of life. There are the others who are just plain brilliant and don't do any CHEATING (i.e. tutoring!!!!!!) and there are the others who work their butt of coz they have a goal. These people normally have a life coz they are commited, even if it means they have less free time then the rest of us mortals

ghostrider

I hear u soulman

basically everything u just said sums up my basic dislike of the scaling system. maybe pre requisutes are required to do law like at high level of english or something.
like nothing against people who do science /maths are who are freaks but as the old career counsellor motto goes 'do what you like'. So why the fuck are u doing all these science based subjects and then doing law.
i reckon alot of it has to do with prestige, and law marks are really so high due to friggin supply/demand, so its preety simplistic. its just them stealing the places of white middle class wanks that really pisses me off (jokes)

i guess if they have a better work ethic then good luck to them, they deserve their mark but if you look what they have done with medicine, where there were bascially just churning out these science freaks who did not have very good communication skills and who could actually talk with a patient. THEY saw how shit it was and changed it.

why dont they do it with law??

Soul

New Title...
y y y?

they should but they won't, and even if they do it won't matter for us so who cares...

just do your best... or rather give your best...

ghostrider

soulman- 'there is no I in TEAM'

yeah everyday i wake up, stare up to my wall and see that beautiful poster 'there is no I in TEAM'. yeah rock on. They annoying thing is that i do give my best, and so do the kids who do science/mths (or the illustrious PhysicChemistryFourunitmths=PC4 club). Except due to scaling and the diffeernet nature of the subjects my best translates into a lower uai than their best.
but eh ce la vie.:D

What do u reckon of combined law at macqaurie...me and you will start up a action movement for unis to reassess their law intakes.

they only positive to law at macquarie for me is that is fuckin close...no hour trip to uni.

Just a little sidepoint when i was looking at the mac website they adverstised their campus as 'located on the beautiful north shore'just sad they have to chime in on a snobby location for the sake of reputation when everyone knows its just next to friggin shithole macquarie centre.

Soul

New Title...
hahaha...cynical law people

I feel your pain man! haha yeah, it's so true... seriously,

Look, i think i know how you feel...all my friends did 4U maths and ended up in the 90s... I on the other hand did 3U yr 11 then dropped to 2u maths, again, they all did physics and i did too but i dropped out in yr 12....i wasnt crap at these subject, just average and this technical stuff is not my strong point

Thus to cut a long epic story short, I am repeating with humanities subjects...i actually got a 90-95 estimate, but i've got to keep working if i want to sustain it, i only went average in the trials.............

reason i repeated? i wanted and am determined to do law

and i will do it...

don't be bitter, it will destroy you, do what you can

HELP NEEDED

LAW is very difficult

You all seem to be complaining about the people doing Law. Many of these people only do it for the prestige, yes. But many people have wanted to do it since they were young and have decided to do the so called "PC4" subjects in order to get a high UAI.
You guys don't seem to realise how easy it is to actually do a law degree once you are in a job or have a degree. You can transfer, you can do post-grad, you can be sponsored by a law firm to do your degree, or you can do a part- time law degree whilst working another job.
I think you guys are just jealous you made the wrong choices in your subjects, you seem bitter. Just get off your lazy butts and get to work!!!
I hate the way the schooling system works that if you don't have an IQ over 200 you have to work your butt off to get where you want. But it has been that way for decades!!...SO STOP COMPLAINING...maybe when you are older you can do what my uncle and a board did with medicine and changed the entry requirements....until then SHUT THE F*** up!!!

Last edited:

ghostrider

In reply

oh i believe you have misinterpreted the point. We were whining about the fact that law at GOOD universities (syd/unsw) mostly goes to those who have skewed their subjects towards science.
The point was being made that the theory runs u excel in the subjects which u like best and which are suited towards you.
so continuing this mindframe therefore all the brilliant PC4's should go onto lead the R&D of Australia, while those who in excel in humanities should go into the humanities based careers.
law is an advanced humanities based subject, while that doesn't rule out those who in excel in science, its selection should be skewed towards those who in excel in the humanities.
I know that I will be probably missing out on the mark for law at syd or unsw by a small margin, yet if i was doing science i would probably not miss out.

I personally did UMAT at a whim, but the fact that i don't do chemistry or any science will most probably rule me out of the selection process. On that basis shouldn't those who have studied a higher level of the humanities have an advantage in the law selection process.
Yes it it is a theoretical situation that probabaly won't be changed for a long time. As your enlightened uncle did, we were suggesting that the entry requirements be changed.

I also loved your little namedropping exercise.-"you can do what my uncle and a board did with medicine"- Maybe we share the same uncle because mine is also on the UNSW Medicine board. But im secure enough not to have a tendency to drop his name in an attempt to add some weight to my argument (but then again i have just done that havent I...)

SOULMAN- poor you. obviousley u don't see UWS as a viable option for law. Im not so much bitter as disallusioned. I don't feel any animosity to the science kids i just don't see the parity in the selection processes for law and medicine.

HELP NEEDED

YES

I never said i didn't agree with you guys, i hate the system. The UAI is a piece of bullshit that attempts to scale you on 10 units, with only 2 units or english being complusory. It attempts to have a university rank that means that all students with a high-enough UAI are applicable for that course.
IT IS A PIECE OF CRAP. I believe there should be a better system, for all subjects, maybe excluding arts..hehehehe...but the problem is that it wastes plenty of resources, and the govt. and Uni's don't have the resources to waste. I just don't see another way around it, unless there was an entrance test to each course, but then what would be the point of high-school...and if you did the wrong school subjects it would adversely affect you....damn, sorry i got no solutions.
I can't really complain though, I am aiming to join the Air-force and that has its own selection processes, even though some of the tests are completely easy, and others are hard as shit. I need an amazing UAI of 81, and considering I should get over 90 i am happy. Hey don't mock the "PC4"..if i had enough confidence i would have upgraded from my "PC3".....man I hate chemistry!!

My conclusion, if you guys really want to get into USYD or UNSW, you gotta have 100% commitment, now and during UNI. But remember, there are plenty of ways to get into a law degree, justcommit yourself.

Ohh....if my previous message was a bit mean, i am a complete bastard for one, and secondly i was really really hungry.... and when i'm hungry I get very grumpy...good luck to you all though.

Last edited:

Soul

New Title...
ah the hunger...i see

Yes, so the discussion goes on, (sorry bout this mega fragment post!)

We weren't whining! ok we were or at least i was but ghostrider was right, we were whining about something else - getting into uni being unfairly skewed towards technical extension science math disciplines... don't get me wrong, i was not generalising, i said so...!

So, it can be construed as unfair or ironic or even downright disillusioning this business of humanities subjects not leading to humanities uni courses (unless the crap ones like arts! hehe) but that science subjects are actually the ones to lead to law! in the states (we all know about their high school system so don't bring that up) there is a uni law entrance test just like UMAT...

But anyways, hunger can turn the best man into a mean beast, in fact this morning...

but yes, I do agree, this is a stupid emotive argument that i currently cannot do anything about and so i won't pursue it any further, it's pointless and wasteful to...

Working harder and getting off our butts?, well, i think <QUOTE>i am repeating<QUOTE> by solely my own and not my parent's decision pretty much overturns that idea...

100% committed? I've covered that one, if i don't get in i'll transfer, even if that means skipping beer and toga parties (well most of them) to get a HD average, even if that's at Maq. You see, i didn't get out of bed one morning and watch 'law and order' and say...yeah, that's for me...., but then again nor did i pop out and my first word was 'bubbub...law'. I was never really motivated in high school but going to a uni open day really inspired me...

of course, that's your hunger inebriated conclusion and you are entitled to it

I and ghostrider (if he's obsessed like me!) will get into law, there is a multitude of ways...

but when,... in what circumstances... and to which Uni... - We determine by ourselves

Personally, the sooner the better, in happy and well deserved circumstances and to the best and most prestigious uni... be it Usyd or even Harvard! that i want to enroll at

Of course people other than us have wanted to do law since whatever and their whole school careers have been about getting good marks but other people are not 'woken up' until it's nearly too late,

My philosophy is, it's never too late to be what you might have been

just give your best and life will give you its best

~END~

Good luck with the air force, actually that's more difficult to get into than law!

BTW --> nah, UWS was not a viable option for me... u see my dad's paying! and Maq is way better! :)

Alex

I have decided I am going to do Law at USYD regardless of when I do it. I will probably do some computer science at USYD and than try and transfer and if not successful I will just do post-grad law. Either way, I'm going to USYD.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Small tip - make sure you choose the advanced stream for all your subjects. University scaling is very biased, unlike the HSC. It'll really help you get the distinction average.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
You'll have to choose your subjects when you enrol in your degree. It will be obvious - all the advanced subjects will have (Advanced) after their name.

In fact, if you're doing computer science, you might want to try for the BCST (Adv) - Bachelor of Computer Science & Technology (Advanced) which automatically gives you free entry into all advanced subjects (you need band 6 results in relevant HSC courses otherwise; although they don't check and you can quite easily lie or talk them into it).

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by Lazarus
although they don't check and you can quite easily lie or talk them into it.
thats quite disturbing in my opinion

ShirLz

Originally posted by mmhmm
i really wanna do combined law either commerce/law at syd or media/law at uts!!!!!! but the uai's are too high!!!!!! i really dont know wat to do.....does any1 have any good suggestions particuarly about transfering from a lower course that would decrease the time doing the combined degree?? im so confused cause i really wanna do combined law with commerce or media !!!! help!

yeah i wanna do law/economics[social sciences] at usyd or unsw - dats like 99.4 i think i can get that :rolleyes: - like when pigs start flyin :p i went to the open day for usyd n they have alot of alternate programs...u could try gettin into just bcommerce or b media n then transferrin - but u would have to have really high averages at uni - bcoz its apparentely a very competitive way of doing law...another way was that if you could afford to pay your fees upfront instead of hecs, then u need 94 - which seems more reasonable than 99.4 - like a tad :p besides, the difference between a combined degreee n doin it separetely is like a yr - so if u really wanna do law, then time taken shouldn't really b a factor in the equation - good luck everyone!!!

looks like we'll all need it - well...most of us anyway :D specificaly, myself ;)

Alex

Laugh at your own will but this (if all goes well) is my plan for my future education.

1. Bachelor of Engineering (Computer Science) / Bachelor of Commerce - USYD - 5 years
2. Post-Graduate Law - USYD - 3 years
3. Masters of Law - No clue where - no clue how long

What do you guys think.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)