• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Comeback in Year 12? (1 Viewer)

Romajxs

HSC
Yh so I basically messed up my prelims, pre badly I predict. We haven't gotten marks back yet but I know I was underprepared for most of the exams and I struggled during the exams themselves as well. Kinda bummed coz I probably won't be invited to do extension 2 math in my (selective) school cos of my poor performance, so probably gonna have to do an odd number of units for my hsc. Anyway my question is - has anyone done trash in prelims but then had a comeback and performed really well in Year 12? Pls share your story.

Last edited:

jakkuq

HSC
My schools only ranked around 60th so the competition was probably a bit weaker than yours will be, but I was able to improve my maths rank from ~80th after Y11 to 3rd at the end of Y12 (advanced only though) and my phys rank from 45th to 10th. So it’s very possible to have a large comeback in Y12 if you dedicate yourself to it :).

SamDavisEnjoyer420

HSC
i did pretty bad on the ancient history prelims (53% and the test wasn't even hard i was just bad) but my trial mark was 88%. making a comeback so possible

chrysoula7

HSC
My schools only ranked around 60th so the competition was probably a bit weaker than yours will be, but I was able to improve my maths rank from ~80th after Y11 to 3rd at the end of Y12 (advanced only though) and my phys rank from 45th to 10th. So it’s very possible to have a large comeback in Y12 if you dedicate yourself to it :).
How did you do that? What was your approach? That's a massive achievement

jakkuq

HSC
How did you do that? What was your approach? That's a massive achievement
For maths I basically just studied ahead trying to do all the cambridge chapters a bit before our class went through them, but also I did a whole bunch of past trials papers before our 3rd assessment task and trials this year. Honestly I found the cambridge 'proofs' for most of the concepts in advanced super helpful as my teacher was kinda bad at explaining stuff, so I would recommend doing that even if you don't want to degen past papers like I did.

For physics I probably owe over like 90% of my success this year to cognito tuition lmao. I'm not sure if tutoring is a route you'd want to pursue but the smaller classes helped a lot to fill knowledge gaps from Y11 and the tutor I had was really, really good at explaining the more complicated physics concepts in a way my friends and I could all understand and wouldn't mind staying a bit late to help me grasp some of the content :). Otherwise, I would also heavily recommend past papers as probably 60-70% of physics questions are just alterations of each other depending on the school you go to, so by doing past papers ahead of time you can have a really good grasp on the types of questions you encounter and how you're supposed to answer them. I didn't really use Jacaranda or the other textbooks as I find some of the stuff they tell you is a bit too in depth for HSC purposes but I'm sure it's a decent option as well.

Overall, you need to keep very consistent at studying but make sure not to burn out too early and stuff up your more important assessments later on. During most of the holidays (except before trials), I didn't study much at all to give myself a break and refresh mentally. Although one regret I have is that I didn't do too well in the first assessment tasks for Y12, especially in eco and phys which kinda brought down my overall rank at the end a bit. So its a decent oppurtunity to snag a good rank that will give u a slight boost in ur overall ranking at the end as a lot of people (at my school at least) didn't try too hard for these (including me).

Xyzpt

HSC
Yh so I basically messed up my prelims, pre badly I predict. We haven't gotten marks back yet but I know I was underprepared for most of the exams and I struggled during the exams themselves as well. Kinda bummed coz I probably won't be invited to do extension 2 math in my (selective) school cos of my poor performance, so probably gonna have to do an odd number of units for my hsc. Anyway my question is - has anyone done trash in prelims but then had a comeback and performed really well in Year 12? Pls share your story.
Yep, of course you can! 💪
Prelims has no influence on your trials or your Year 12 progress. So many people in my grade didn't do well in their prelims but are now near the top of my grade for Year 12.
Never give up!

helloworld!

HSC
Yep, of course you can! 💪
Prelims has no influence on your trials or your Year 12 progress. So many people in my grade didn't do well in their prelims but are now near the top of my grade for Year 12.
Never give up!
Hello!
Perfect. Just what I needed to hear after a dreadful exam today :).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)