• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Coming last in pretty much every subject (1 Viewer)

Cl324

HSC
N/A
You can still get an ATAR without your internal marks

But if worse comes to worse just do law at UWS

Annihilist

HSC
nah of course it's not look peachy, well i'm planning to kill my trials and yeah 85 or 90+ - i will get kicked out my house. For now i'm safe with the parents, as they think my rank is my actual mark...
Med or Law is now galaxies away... Shit.
....why will you get kicked out of your house?

Kingportable

HSC
People in Year 11 and Year 10 should be reading this, SCALING DOES NOT COUNT IF YOUR OVERWORKED! When people in extension subject and classes like ECO or Chemistry drop or do not pick up subjects like Business Studies, Legal Studies and Society and Culture drop i ask them, WHY? Why have Ext english and Ext math? Subject selection is not something you should use to show off your intelligence, but something you should use strategically (meaning with sacrifices and appropriate decisions). Universities are complaining right now because they are taking a lot of people with high ATARs who took subjects that had nothing to do with the course.

How much easier would it be for you had all you had your hard classes 2/3U Maths, Economics, ENA, Balanced up with Business Studies, Legal Studies. Which are easier!

Annihilist

HSC
People in Year 11 and Year 10 should be reading this, SCALING DOES NOT COUNT IF YOUR OVERWORKED! When people in extension subject and classes like ECO or Chemistry drop or do not pick up subjects like Business Studies, Legal Studies and Society and Culture drop i ask them, WHY? Why have Ext english and Ext math? Subject selection is not something you should use to show off your intelligence, but something you should use strategically (meaning with sacrifices and appropriate decisions). Universities are complaining right now because they are taking a lot of people with high ATARs who took subjects that had nothing to do with the course.

How much easier would it be for you had all you had your hard classes 2/3U Maths, Economics, ENA, Balanced up with Business Studies, Legal Studies. Which are easier!
Really? I always thought they only cared about your ATAR score.

HSC
N/A

Just use me as a scaffold of what not to do, thanks. I have reasons of my own for not doing as well as I am supposed to be - I just asked if I still have any sort of chance as I can't change my marks now and I'm not crying, I'm just looking for ways to move forward, not dwell on the subjects I chose to 'show off my intelligence'. Besides, I did mention that I had no interest in any other subjects like Business Studies or Legal, so what's the point in choosing a subject you have no interest in? I have honestly tried taking 2U of english and Business Studies instead of my extension subjects but ended up dropping because I just couldn't motivate myself to study for Business and I was told to take up 3U eng in year 11.
I moderately rest my case.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
If "the idea of having financial, social and security and a super high chance of employment all over the world" is the reason you want to do Medicine, then you shouldn't be considering it at all. That is the wrong mindset for medicine.
Is it okay to think of it as a bonus?

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah, I admit I don't have a passion for it whatsoever, hence why I never wanted to do it in the first place. So I guess it's Law for me, but my ATAR isn't looking too good...
A lot of high school students seem to overlook the JD, well I did (current 1st Yr LLB UNSW student). The benefit is that you'll accommodate better because of previous university studies, have an understanding of why you want to study law and be completely immersed in it (all law cores and electives). This far outweighs the benefit of a one year cut from an LLB.

I don't think a JD at USYD/UNSW is that hard compared to the ridiculous ATAR that HSC students need (.70/.65)

In hindsight, I regret not considering straight commerce (+cadetship, if possible) and then doing postgraduate law.

Last edited:

LightXT

HSC
Uni Grad
Last edited:

KidDang

HSC
Uni Grad
People always say things like I'll kill the trials then after that I'll smash the HSC, what you have to realise is consistent effort is really important and if you're too far behind the chances of a comeback is really low.

I've had friends who had a hsc mark of 82 after trying really hard for business studies however his rank gave him a mark of 64, making his highest mark 75 and again this gets scaled down lower and he was only focusing on two subjects. So just a look out that smashing the HSC at the end isn't that easy. But it's not too late I guess you're going to a very fair school if you manage 70-90s in the trial and do the same for your HSC, your chances of an 80+ Atar is not over.

In regards to doing the medicine/Law I don't recommend them, you need a passion in whatever you do in Uni because it's on a new level. I have a friend who wanted to do physiotheraphy at USYD but only made the cut-off for medical science and settled with that- however in under a semester he has deferred and will be doing Business at UTS next semester. This goes for many prospective students as well

HSC
N/A
+1

Also, even if it was true - how can you be mid range in Advanced English but bottom of Extension 1 - doesn't make sense.
Uh, cohort sizes change every year as well as school rankings. My school's on the top 10 for last year and had only 200+, this year it's 300.
Oh, and how is it NOT possible to be mid range in Eng Adv and last in English ex? It was just the ranks for half yearlies. I happened to do well in my essay for 2U and screwed up on an oral for Ex.1, english advanced and english ex are two totally different subjects.

theycallmebob

HSC
+1

Also, even if it was true - how can you be mid range in Advanced English but bottom of Extension 1 - doesn't make sense.
extension is thoroughly different. I am coming 2nd in ext1, but 30th in advanced.

RazorEdge

HSC
N/A
My estimate would be 90-95 based your school ranking.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)