Comm @ UNSW vs Comm/Law @ Macq (1 Viewer)

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
Commerce @ UNSW cos I already did choose it.

Tommy21

HSC
N/A
If you didn't want to become a lawyer what other employment opportunities will you have with a comm/law degree as opposed to a commerce degree

Arowana21

HSC
N/A
i had that same choice as well. But i decided to go to commerce (international) at UNSW, cos they are ranked highly in the business faculty. I suggest if u do end up doing comm/law, you should go towards the law stream and not the commerce side, cos Macq aint that great cos just doing commerce by itself doesnt have any professional recognition. and that going towards the business stream, all the law subjects u choose wont help that much. WHERE AS if you go towards the law stream, the commerce subjects will help a fair bit (ie commercial law).
And so i wanted to go towards business stream so thats why i chose UNSW.
Comm/laww itself is 5 years, and if on the last minute u want to change to business stream, then maybe you can go for CA or CFA, but this would take at least another 3-4 years.
where as commerce, if you work really hard you can graduate in 3 years and then go for CA or CFA or MBA, all in 6 years time, and earn quite a lot of money (CFA and MBA).

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
i had that same choice as well. But i decided to go to commerce (international) at UNSW, cos they are ranked highly in the business faculty. I suggest if u do end up doing comm/law, you should go towards the law stream and not the commerce side, cos Macq aint that great cos just doing commerce by itself doesnt have any professional recognition. and that going towards the business stream, all the law subjects u choose wont help that much. WHERE AS if you go towards the law stream, the commerce subjects will help a fair bit (ie commercial law).
And so i wanted to go towards business stream so thats why i chose UNSW.
Comm/laww itself is 5 years, and if on the last minute u want to change to business stream, then maybe you can go for CA or CFA, but this would take at least another 3-4 years.
where as commerce, if you work really hard you can graduate in 3 years and then go for CA or CFA or MBA, all in 6 years time, and earn quite a lot of money (CFA and MBA).
MBA??
Don't you need at least 5 years managerial experience before you can study an MBA? An MBA should be a long term goal (i.e. 6-8+ years after undergrad)

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
maybe they meant 6 years after graduating? probably not though. i did think it was 5 years too though =/

another general question.. if one was interested comparably in commerce and law, and it was a choice between a course like B Com UNSW and BCom/LLB at macq, what would people suggest?

Last edited:

billbro

HSC
N/A
Personal preference really, though UNSW was rated as the best university for business and law for the third time running in a government report though.

Since I do Com (Lib) at UNSW, I'm biased. So take it as you may, but I'd do Commerce at UNSW and if you are really keen on getting an LLB - transfer after first year like a few of my friends. You'll need roughly a distinction average, but that is quite achievable as you can get a credit average while being lazy.

Justina

HSC
I was deciding between those two degrees too and i chose Commerce at UNSW - simply because i've heard UNSW has one of the best business faculties in Australia. Also because i was never too keen on being a lawyer anyway. You can always do Law post grad at UNSW for only two years (was told it was called juris doctor or something).

Affinity

HSC
I was deciding between those two degrees too and i chose Commerce at UNSW - simply because i've heard UNSW has one of the best business faculties in Australia. Also because i was never too keen on being a lawyer anyway. You can always do Law post grad at UNSW for only two years (was told it was called juris doctor or something).
graduate law is 3 years

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)