Commerce/Adv Science - What can I do with this? (1 Viewer)

kcchippy

HSC
Okay, so I'm thinking that I want to do a combined degree in adv. science/commerce at USYD and I got a UAI of 99.45 (so it should be ok to do so).

The dilemma is: When I graduate, what are the sort of career options I could expect from such a degree?

If I want a career in the end that is fulfilling, long lasting and also profitable, is this a degree that could realistically provide these things?

Is there a better degree that could provide these things but still maintain the science units.

I'm also looking at UNSW for the same option.

I would also like to study overseas for a semester or so and perhaps even eventually work overseas. Would this degree realistically provide me the opportunity to do so?

phrred

HSC
ill try

do u kno what u wanna major in for the 2 degrees?
Sc would give you the good broad knowledge that employers seek whilst commerce will give u skills for the business sector so i guess its not a bad choice. Do you know if usyd offer adv arts/comm or even arts/comm coz they cud b good choices too unless u hav ur mind set on science. psychology is always a good choice if u plan to interact with people a lot such as in HRM or marketing

Depending on your majors, usyd and unsw would have pretty similar standards for BSc and BComm. There are more options for majors for commerce at unsw tho, have a look thru the UAC guide and see if unsw has something that sydney doesnt that u want to do.

Both unis also have heaps of top uni partners for u to go overseas on exchange. perhaps even comm/arts with a language could be good if u plan to live overseas

ND

HSC
If the adv. sci part is math, then the degree would be great for a number of finance careers.

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
ND said:
If the adv. sci part is math, then the degree would be great for a number of finance careers.
Nowadays, too many ppl are quantitatively schooled. In terms of graduate positions, it would be cheaper just to employ an Actuarial student (they need less training).

Last edited:

beverly

HSC
N/A
the sorts of combinations that are great for particular career prospects are
psych with marketing
maths with actuary
biotech with marketing/finance

in terms of usyd vs unsw, usyd is one year extra (5 yrs) so that's a consideration

ND

HSC
§eraphim said:
Nowadays, too many ppl are quantitatively schooled. In terms of graduate positions, it would be cheaper just to employ an Actuarial student (they need less training).
Really? I must say that I'm glad to hear that. Are you working with any acst guys at csfb?

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
No.

"actuaries being cheaper" <-- just my opinion. There have also been some arguments saying that an Actuarial education results in forcing problems into models they know...which is stooopid. But that guy is an Honours student in Maths (formerly actuarial/math)

Also, I remember the Mac Bank HR rep saying that they don't have any preference for actuaries in risk management coz they have small insurance businesses.

So it really depends what you are applying for in the IB.

Last edited:

ND

HSC
Ok i see what you're saying. The bad thing about actuarial is that you have to do gay subjects where you have to write essays about the regulation of the superannuation industry and other crap that's extremely boring and completely irrelevant to finance.

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
I disagree. All the crazy maths belongs in academia, but writing reports,etc is most important for an Analysts' role.

Part 2 is probably good preparation for Part 3 too.

Last edited:

ND

HSC
What i meant was that the superannuation industry is really boring and completely irrelevant for someone wanting to get into IB (like myself), not writing essays/reports.

I'm not doing my part 2's or 3's, don't wanna become an actuary.

kcchippy

HSC
Thanks phrred and others for your advice. Yes, at one point I was stuck between doing comm/arts or comm/sci, seeing as I also did French at one point and wanted to study a language and do an exchange.

But I also did a lot of science throughout my HSC study, I just don't think i should give up on that completely just yet....

As for majors, I was thinking of doing biomedical science and perhaps doing marketing as a major for commerce. But I'm not exactly dead set on these..I'm still researching, and am still..at this very late stage...very uncertain about my choice of course...

kcchippy

HSC
Lol, thanks for that valuable piece of information...I'm sure working in a drug company would be many people's dream come true....

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
kcchippy said:
Lol, thanks for that valuable piece of information...I'm sure working in a drug company would be many people's dream come true....
Actually, quite a few people take a liking to it. One of my sisters friends was lured by one, straight out of uni, 100k salary/car/mobile/laptop. My sister was interested in doing it, as the working conditions for doctors are so shit.

kcchippy

HSC
Hmm...that's great if your sister enjoys it! I guess, if ever I am qualified enough, I might take a pharmaceutical/drug company into consideration.

I had no idea that working conditions for doctors weren't very good..Why do so many people want to be a doctor then?

kcchippy

HSC
Lol, when I think about being a doctor, aside from societal prestige and an inherent desire to help people, I can't quite understand exactly the appeal...:S

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
velox said:
most drug reps are doctors.
i think u mean a certain class of them

cos lots of the ones at the grass roots were actualli nurses... as with any marketing there is a level of sex appeal too.. lots of them were female.. :rolleyes:

for radiology ... i recall it was a radiographer + radiologist team from GE trying to close AUD $1.5 million in sales for the new scanners... sooo much sucking up..

tho the medical doctors have credibililty.. and move through the ranks faster
they just dun do the pen handing out stuff... i mean for 100k ud expect a more stimulating job than handing out pens and pamphlets

velox said:
Taken from the words of a friend who is a dr "because they are foolish" :p
tats soooo true :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)