commerce... AND ARTS? (1 Viewer)

sickk

HSC
would having an arts degree benefit in anyway at all, showing that you have more skills than the AVERAGE"?" commerce student? (to potential employers)

Or would the additional degree make the strain on your studies difficult ?

sickk

HSC
your always blowing your trumpet about engineering though lol.
i know engineering would be a better combination, but i was just wondering how arts/commerce would compare with commerce

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
typically, engineering with commerce is good in that the student is more able to solve problems in a more deductive manner. and they tend to be more decisive and quicker in their decision making (especially mathematical problems)

im doing economics/arts which is essentially the same thing. doing this sort of combined degree allows you to take a break from business and relax into something that you may enjoy (mainly if you have a liberal mind and fancy the arts).

i take psychology and history, and i find that history relaxes me, rather than the constant barrage of assessments and theory that constitute "business".

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
This always depends on the type of career you're intending to pursue.

But I would say that more often than not, doing a B.Com/B.Arts double would make no difference to your employability in the accounting and banking fields.

Do you have any specific career paths/interests in mind? If you're genuinely interested in doing an Arts degree then go for it, but in my experience it's not going to make you stand out to employers any more than your confidence, extra currics and work experience would.

sickk

HSC
im more interested in human resources/marketing/public relations side
thats partly why i thought arts would make a good double, or am i just plain wrong lol?

tiggaman

HSC
I work in recruitment and I would definitely say go for the double- these days theres so much competition out there that anything you can do to distinguish yourself from the crowd will work to your favour. We recently did some recruitment for a public service department and they only bothered inviting people who had double degrees or more as there were so many applications.

tiggaman

HSC
On a personal level I think it is also good to have more exposure to other disciplines and broaden your education, it may also give you a better idea where you want to pursue a career in the future. That said I would also be careful that you dont take on more than you can handle, but generally speaking people can do a lot more than they give themselves credit for...

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
I work in recruitment and I would definitely say go for the double- these days theres so much competition out there that anything you can do to distinguish yourself from the crowd will work to your favour. We recently did some recruitment for a public service department and they only bothered inviting people who had double degrees or more as there were so many applications.
I'd rather someone who has honours than arts - you can allways work on your CFA concurrently aswell.

Depending on your degree you may be able to do some arts units - doing a WHOLE degree on arts though I consider to be a waste of time.

sickk

HSC
how hard is it to get offered honours? (i know "hard" is relative to everybody)

sickk

HSC
like CR average or D average or something ?

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
like CR average or D average or something ?
Depends on your university, although you will definitely need a Credit average at bare minimum.

If there is strong demand from students wanting to study honours, then the cutoff may well increase.

Last edited:

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
I think most universities have a D average minimum for Honors and Post-Grad.

Basically, Arts will do you good in anything to do with PR, HR, Marketing, Sales, etc. Pure finance and economic roles will have little use for it.

tiggaman

HSC
No worries I'm curious though what you decided to do?

sickk

HSC
well, i would really love to do commerce/law... but 97+ seems a like a number out of reach lol, i will still apply for UTS business/law i think, but ill deffinatly be trying for a double degree rather than the single (if i get in)

i mean, it cant hurt to have arts on your side right, and i think (not 100% i still have to look into it), but with arts you can do law units too?? which is where my interests lie.

originally i wanted to do more than a double major, maybe HR, marketing and commercial law, and i heard from a couple people that seeing as that would either increase my workload or extend my degree, i may aswell try for a double degree, and i thought, what the hell ! what not !!

ahah, still got alot to think about though... shudders*

tiggaman

HSC
Just remember no matter what you do you'll need to put in the hard yards, but make sure you take the time to actually enjoy what you study as that is what you will take with you- all the best

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
Just do the arts for interest sake...if you choose the right subjects (ie Politics) you get to argue with people and shut down religious conservatives. There is nothing more fun.

Efficient5

HSC
yes, it's very good. And it will also make uni more interesting because you get to do subjects you really enjoy like languages or history or anything you want!

And employers love double degrees. :balloon:

Good luck with whatever you choose!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)