commerce (assumed and recomended) (1 Viewer)

sickk

HSC
Is it really necessary to be proficient in 2U maths, or int he case of UNSW extension 1, just to do commerce?
Which core subjects in a commerce degree require a high level a maths if its the case?

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
Is it really necessary to be proficient in 2U maths, or int he case of UNSW extension 1, just to do commerce?
Which core subjects in a commerce degree require a high level a maths if its the case?
Unless you are doing economics or a mathematic orientated degree (actuarial etc.) all you will learn is statistics.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
To answer original post, I don't think maths is that important. As long as you can do the basics and know your way around a calculator, you'll figure everything out when they teach you. It's more the concepts and being able to interpret the question in such a way that you can use formulae which you've learnt to answer the question.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
You just need good numerical skills which are practiced in HSC 2U maths or higher. In terms of using knowledge from HSC maths, it's primarily calculus, probability and basic consumer arithmetic.

williamc

HSC
Not even needed dude.

The maths involved is pretty elementary.
depends on her/his commerce major.

A finance or economics major i would say without 2unit maths or university equivalent that you may struggle in 200/300 level units

Accounting, business management, business law etc would not require maths at that level, baring you can pass 1st year stats.

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
depends on her/his commerce major.

A finance or economics major i would say without 2unit maths or university equivalent that you may struggle in 200/300 level units

Accounting, business management, business law etc would not require maths at that level, baring you can pass 1st year stats.
Imo most Finance majors have pretty easy maths buddy. Nothing that you couldn't pick up from scratch if you applied yourself, even without an understanding of the fundamentals.

Just my opinion though hey.

williamc

HSC
I did extension 1 maths in high school, and im finding the maths in econ to be fairly tough. Not to mention when i was doing my finance degree and i had to do an acturial studies unit. Goodluck in that without learning calculus at high school.

blue_chameleon

HSC
I did extension 1 maths in high school, and im finding the maths in econ to be fairly tough. Not to mention when i was doing my finance degree and i had to do an acturial studies unit. Goodluck in that without learning calculus at high school.
Well yeah man, of course Actuary units draw on more advanced maths. I'm just saying in my experience, generally i've found that the maths components to the finance major in the Commerce degree isn't hugely advanced. May differ from uni to uni though.

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
Economics is quite mathematical compared to the standard commerce major.

Last edited:

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Like others have said, it really depends on what you want to major in. Accounting and Economics will use and require more mathematically knowledge than say, marketing or management.

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
u NEED HIGH SCHOOL ECONOMICS!!!!!!
Most people who do highschool economics think that they don't need to study economics because it is ~80% the same as first year then fail because they didn't look at any of the new stuff (lost like 25% on my mid sem exam because I didn't review utility analysis.)

blue_chameleon

HSC
u NEED HIGH SCHOOL ECONOMICS!!!!!!
Incorrect.

I managed HD's for Micro and Macro and I hadn't done HSC Economics. I can't see how people would struggle if they also hadn't done it. Makes no difference.

Vagabond

Machine
HSC
You don't need anything, but 2unit maths would make life easier

Economics from highschool does build up a lot of complacency ...

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
@studentleader: what is it with you and assumptions? a more correct response (this is from your first post in this thread) would have been: it varies from uni to uni.

in a business/commerce/economics etc. degree, you will most likely have to do stats, but one of the core units may have stuff to do with time value of money, derivatives (i.e. partial and full) etc.

however, to answer the op's question, you would most likely have to consult the faculty to the uni which you want to apply for (since it varies from uni to uni) to gather whether a bridging course is required.

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
I'm majoring in Finance at UOW.

I did 3 unit and find the maths steady. Another engineering mate (final year) still finds it enough (but not hard). Finance subjects give you the derived equation; you need to apply it. Basically every test (unless its like a theory subject like fin. markets) is applied maths- ie we are working out optimal portfolios, capital budgeting, time value money problems...

It requires more logic and good focus to not muddle up all the formulas and know what applies to what, more so then having to mathematically arrive at equations. Having said that, doing higher level maths certainly aids good reasoning skills.

It's mainly a good grasp of statistics (regressions) and basic calculus (partial as well) and logarithms. Having said that, your generally given formula sheets, you could do it without understanding what a derivative is, however you will be disadvantaged given it helps aid your understanding of the big picture (If we change this variable, what is the effect on this? At what point is portfolio return MAXIMISED etc)...

I have found calculus very helpful in econometrics...

Accounting requires you know how to add and subtract, multiply and divide and take the odd %.

Management and marketing...need I say more?

HSC
There's a boser whos doing Com/Eco with majors in Finance and Financial Eco - did General Maths and is doing fine now

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)