Commerce/science, commerce/arts or single commerce at USYD? Which is most beneficial? (1 Viewer)

study12345

HSC
I wrote pros and cons for all but still can't decide! Pros of single is mostly that its shorter and I can concentrate. Arts because I love languages and would make me more employable in Europe. And science because interesting!
Please help me decide :)

passionxmusic

HSC
N/A
Re: Commerce/science, commerce/arts or single commerce at USYD? Which is most benefic

Why not a B Commerce (Liberal Studies) degree? Benefits are you get to major in all 3 fields! :) Plus it is only 4 years.

study12345

HSC
Re: Commerce/science, commerce/arts or single commerce at USYD? Which is most benefic

oooooh, I forgot about that!
would you recommend? do you know anyone who did? so is it 1 commercemajor 1 arts major 1 science major? o_O

passionxmusic

HSC
N/A

oooooh, I forgot about that!
would you recommend? do you know anyone who did? so is it 1 commercemajor 1 arts major 1 science major? o_O
I know of someone who had and managed to do all three majors from the different faculties. Yes and I believe its one major for each.

All the best ~

study12345

HSC

I know of someone who had and managed to do all three majors from the different faculties. Yes and I believe its one major for each.

All the best ~
Do you think its better than straight commerce though? :) Employment wise...

passionxmusic

HSC
N/A

Do you think its better than straight commerce though? :) Employment wise...
I actually don't know to be honest... I merely suggested Liberal Studies because it seemed like you wanted to do all three faculty majors. :)

study12345

HSC

ahhh I see :)
Thanks

study12345

HSC

will have to think more
also can't choose between usyd unsw and uts business!!!

passionxmusic

HSC
N/A

will have to think more
also can't choose between usyd unsw and uts business!!!
Go to the Open Days for all three and decide which one is best for you: travel wise, social life, facilities etc.

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC

As has been said, the Bachelor of Commerce (Liberal Studies) program would suit your needs quite well, however, I believe there is one major drawback. To qualify for the degree, you need a minimum of 108 credit points (18 subjects all up) from the Business School. Obviously, if you were doing 2 majors, you would have plenty of space free to fill up your units with elective business units or extra units offered by the department that you are majoring in. But with 3 majors, especially when only one of them is a business major, you may struggle to meet these requirements. Of course it can be done if you plan well, but in the space of 4 years, I think you'll find if you manage to complete the 3 majors that you want, you may not have been able to study your area of interest as deep as you may have wanted (unless you place more emphasis on getting out of uni as soon as possible to get a job then acquiring knowledge, in which case Liberal Studies would be good).

An alternative that would give you more flexibility would be Commerce/Science with a concurrent Diploma of Language Studies. It's five years long, but I think the extra year is worth it for the flexibility and extra study options it gives you. For the Diploma, USYD are offering an intensive pathway starting from next year where you can complete the diploma in one year without it disrupting your studies. This will only be offered for Spanish, Japanese, Indonesian and Korean, but it will allow you to study a language without having to forfeit any units in your study program each semester to study it. Or you can do the Diploma part time and do one unit per semester on top of your existing workload (this would mean you have a choice of more languages and can study it in more depth, but the trade off is that you'd be doing more than the standard semester workload, so only do this if you feel confident you can handle it). I'll actually be doing the latter option starting from next year.

In terms of your concerns of employability, having extra knowledge can't do anything but help your employment prospects. Again I think the trade off is that if you do straight Commerce you would be out there in the workforce earlier. But otherwise, if you have a genuine interest in areas other than Commerce, I would advise you not to worry too much about employability and do what you enjoy, it will pay off for you in the long run. As for USYD v UNSW v UTS, they are all great business schools, so really just go to the Open Days and decide what uni you feel like you would be more comfortable in. I can't speak for UNSW or UTS, but I can personally say USYD is fantastic for the all the areas you want to study in, which is part of the reason why I decided to go there.

study12345

HSC

As has been said, the Bachelor of Commerce (Liberal Studies) program would suit your needs quite well, however, I believe there is one major drawback. To qualify for the degree, you need a minimum of 108 credit points (18 subjects all up) from the Business School. Obviously, if you were doing 2 majors, you would have plenty of space free to fill up your units with elective business units or extra units offered by the department that you are majoring in. But with 3 majors, especially when only one of them is a business major, you may struggle to meet these requirements. Of course it can be done if you plan well, but in the space of 4 years, I think you'll find if you manage to complete the 3 majors that you want, you may not have been able to study your area of interest as deep as you may have wanted (unless you place more emphasis on getting out of uni as soon as possible to get a job then acquiring knowledge, in which case Liberal Studies would be good).

An alternative that would give you more flexibility would be Commerce/Science with a concurrent Diploma of Language Studies. It's five years long, but I think the extra year is worth it for the flexibility and extra study options it gives you. For the Diploma, USYD are offering an intensive pathway starting from next year where you can complete the diploma in one year without it disrupting your studies. This will only be offered for Spanish, Japanese, Indonesian and Korean, but it will allow you to study a language without having to forfeit any units in your study program each semester to study it. Or you can do the Diploma part time and do one unit per semester on top of your existing workload (this would mean you have a choice of more languages and can study it in more depth, but the trade off is that you'd be doing more than the standard semester workload, so only do this if you feel confident you can handle it). I'll actually be doing the latter option starting from next year.

In terms of your concerns of employability, having extra knowledge can't do anything but help your employment prospects. Again I think the trade off is that if you do straight Commerce you would be out there in the workforce earlier. But otherwise, if you have a genuine interest in areas other than Commerce, I would advise you not to worry too much about employability and do what you enjoy, it will pay off for you in the long run. As for USYD v UNSW v UTS, they are all great business schools, so really just go to the Open Days and decide what uni you feel like you would be more comfortable in. I can't speak for UNSW or UTS, but I can personally say USYD is fantastic for the all the areas you want to study in, which is part of the reason why I decided to go there.

Thanks for your insight!
What are your commerce and science majors?
And how do you find the campus life? I find UNSW to seem a bit detached ....

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad

Commerce at UNSW

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad

By detached, are you referring to its location?

Cause UNSW is pretty sweet.

study12345

HSC

location and i dont see people lying on grass like at usyd haha!

bangladesh

HSC

oh nvm, misread it

Last edited:

study12345

HSC

partly why i wanna go :)...partly :p

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC

Thanks for your insight!
What are your commerce and science majors?
And how do you find the campus life? I find UNSW to seem a bit detached ....
Accounting and Finance for Commerce, Financial Mathematics & Statistics and a second undecided major for Science.

And yeah campus life is pretty good at Sydney I reckon. You get out what you put in really, so if you participate in some societies (of which there are many choices) and make some new friends in your classes I think you'll enjoy being at uni a lot more.

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad

Maybe you haven't really explored off the main walkway at UNSW?

There's actually a lot of chilled grassy areas if you are also into the quiet side of things.

williamdaft

HSC

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)