Common Mistakes in Exams (1 Viewer)

Cardea

HSC
So I was wondering generally what kinds of mistakes, silly or otherwise, everyone makes in exams just so that come SC, we'll be at least aware of some of them :D I'll start..

Well, generally for history, sometimes I tend not to answer the question properly. I always include heaps of irrelvant information, so I guess the lesson there is to read the question, know what's expected of the text type given and answer the question properly.

savio23q

Band
HSC
- Time management
- Read questions properly
- Pay attention to verbs (e.g. evaluate, outline, discuss, assess etc) (do they have these in the SC?..meh)
- ANSWER THE QUESTION
- Quality > Quantity
- Dont use freaking liquid paper coz it take too long to dry. Cross mistakes out.

There's many more but I can't think of much more.

bored of sc

HSC
Maths: misinterpretation of what the question is asking. Be careful and slow down. Work out exactly what the question wants.

speedofsound

HSC
SH33P said:
the biggest mistake anyone can make is to forget to ID their exam page

a nice round donut coming to those who forget :D
LOL I had a dream I did that last night. SC time, it finished and I was so glad it was over... until I realised I didn't put my student number on any of my pages.

Cardea

HSC
bored of sc said:
Maths: misinterpretation of what the question is asking. Be careful and slow down. Work out exactly what the question wants.
Urgh! That is exactly what I do. I read the question and go, "Oh yeah, that's what I have to do" but that's not what the question asks for. Thank god I actually realise my mistake most times...

I think that's the biggest problem for me - actually answering the question asked. Goodness knows I can always give another answer or go off topic for history.

Nasonex

HSC
N/A
Multiple Choice is where common mistakes are made --> read the fucking question properly!

studentcheese

HSC
Don't doubt yourself or over-interpret the question in ENGLISH comprehension.

smushieex

HSC
basing this on my trials ..
definitely manage your time properly. I was rushing to finish in like 2 exams. Not a good feeling -- especially if you don't end up finishing. T_T

make sure you've done each question. I lost two marks because I completely skipped a question - an easy one at that. It's just two marks, but it still counts. lol.

smushieex

HSC
studentcheese said:
omg this too!
i hateeee english multiple choice.

dwarven

[SMSHS'08']
HSC
studentcheese said:
that goes for any mc really.

and even for short answer questions. dont write too much.
keep it short and precise

MissGiggles

HSC
quality is def > quantity. remember if you got stuck with hundreds of papers you wouldn't bother to read thoroughly so make it easy for the marker by getting to the bloody point with a short papragraph per point.

dot points are acceptable in shorter responses....our science teacher made it clear even long questions in science may be dot point. english i wouldn't push my luck but its not about grammar in everything else im told

when writing an essay keep refering back to the question just to show the marker you're still on track and understood what you're being asked (hopefully)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)