Commonplace Journal-Distress (1 Viewer)

vanitysnare

HSC
I know a lot of people are freaking-out over what to put in their journals. And I'm one of them. I'm scared my language isn't sophisicated enough because it isn't like an art journal. A hint my teacher gave me was not to specifically mention defining aspects of you or your school (obviously) but I'm not sure what to do to start! I have my idea (yes its a short story, but I actually have some serious backing there I'm not picking the 'easy option') but the research I'm finding difficult. What are some examples of things to include?

Here is what I've found from other people so far

- Reading lists
- Images
- Song lyrics
- Interviews with authors
- Articles on writing (general or a specific kind or writing/analysis you are doing for your major work).

I'm just a little stuck. Ideas?

philphie

Banned
HSC
your journal does not have to be another mw. just show whatever research you did, if you didn't do any research than i'd be more worried about your mw then your journal

vanitysnare

HSC
your journal does not have to be another mw. just show whatever research you did, if you didn't do any research than i'd be more worried about your mw then your journal
My drafts will be in there, and I may or may not be slightly OCD about these things so I know I'll treat it like it is a MW.

dizzyizzy

snubble
HSC
philphie is right. show a variety of sources, some excerpts of the work, some reflections on your progress every few weeks. everything else IS a waste of your EE2 time so don't indulge your 'OCD'-ness.

vanitysnare

HSC
Thanks guys.

Well done with your marks btw :O

So yeah, filling the journal with stuff but not a million stuffs, just good stuffs.

philphie

Banned
HSC
just remember they will be using the journal to make sure your mw wasn't done overnight or was a complete rip off of something

vanitysnare

HSC
Yeah, I know. I'm dating and writing reflections/gathering sources gradually, I was just worried I didn't have enough stuff. Off to write I guess.

kiniki

HSC
I've stopped worrying about my journal ever since my teacher, who is an ex-marker, said they only check 1 in a 100 journals. I just have all my work from class in there, research, brainstorms, the cementing of my concept and my influences. When I can be bothered, i'm going to check out some places in Sydney which are going to make an appearence in my MW & record it in my journal haha. thus far, it's very very light..

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I was told to record EVERYTHING you did for EX2. This means, most of my journals is printing out BoS topics as 'course research' and long lists of words and definitions for them from books I've read. Oh yeah, and musing on how I'm going.

accio.brain

HSC
Besides my research and drafts, half of my journal was just my 'reflections', which is a fancy way of saying it was like i was talking to myself on paper, like a diary. I probably sound like I'm insane. I didn't write it like I was expecting anyone else at all to read it, it mostly came in use later on when I was doing my Reflection Statement or Viva, so it's always useful to record your progress or any changes to your idea you've made to refer to later on. But yeah, don't stress too much about it. That said, mine was way OCD haha. I liked it cos it looked impressive and made me feel like I'd gotten something done :D

philphie

Banned
HSC
almost all of mine was full of emails between various volunteer organisations.

naisAtoN

Awesome Member
HSC
Seriously, don't worry at all about your journal. I was SO lazy at times with even updating it - I think as long as it shows the general evolution of your ideas, generally outlines and gives evidence of research, etc then you should be fine. Mine was complete crap compared to some of the ones I've heard others have handed in (piles of Visual Arts Process Diaries!) and I didn't have the Board of Studies knocking down my door, and they didn't come close to failing me. Remember too that in all likelihood they won't even look at most of the stuff in your journal unless they have a doubt about the integrity of your work - or if there are significant discrepancies between the major work and reflection statement. Don't worry about it.

Last edited:
HSC
Everything. Put in all in there. Research, articles, reflections, a dairy-like reflection, pictures, inspiration, drafts, BOS syllabus, every change of thought in direction and subject mattter. My teacher just said to put in everything in. The language doesn't have to be 1st class sophisticated, because it is a journal of your process after all, not you showing off your massive words.

eilys close

HSC
How to have a semi-normal journal (according to my teacher):
Get some "how to write" guide, here are some suggestions:

The Art of Fiction by David Lodge
Reading like a Writer by Francine Prose
Everything I Know About Writing by John Marsden
How Fiction Works by J. Wood
Bird by Bird by Ann Lamott

Get one/two of these books, or something similar, READ them, take notes (This can be ongoing through the year, if you like.)

Then: Read/view texts relating to your major works. Doing a War story? Read/watch war stories. Then to a sort of review for each, analysing a couple of techniques (1-2 written pages is fine, half a page for short stories) and put it in your journal.

Write down all ideas, changing your mind.

And Drafts. Many. Perferably get a red pen and cross out and circle and add notes so it looks like you sat there editing a LONG TIME.

Don't treat it like "Dear, dear diary", but don't be overly omniscent. Write in 1st person, don't describe yourself, teacher, classmates or school. If you do assessments and you have to put your name on the assessment (or like me, you have a dumb teacher who wrote you a damn letter with your name every ten words T_T), white out your name/class and put the assessment in. Even if you're not proud of the mark/comments, it shows ongoing progress.

This is directly from a teacher (ie she got it from the real BOS)
A MWJ could include:

-proposal
-statement of intent
-identification of purpose+audience
-a working title
-a plan or timeline
-method of approach
-course outcomes
-assessment task drafts
-feedback from assessment tasks
-reflections on meetings/discusssions with mentor/teachers
-documentation of external assisstance (ie,interviews, critical firends, tutors, professional help)
-acknowledgement of outside technical assistance
-reflections on the process itself
-discussions with other students
-reflections on group learning experiences
-evidence of research and questioning
-stimulus material
-preparation for the RS
-a wide reading record
-useful websites
-annotated bibliography
-drafts of your MW

Hope this helps.

applerulezd00d

HSC
you can put every bit of research or inspiration in your journal
just make sure you don't have anything in there in which you can be identified, for example your name, your teachers name etc
if you plan on writing something to do with your teacher in there you need to refer to them as your mentor. no names are allowed.
from what ive been told the journal isnt referred to unless there is any doubt in the markers mind of plagiarism or the like.
oh && btw, its for all your thoughts as well. as it will help you a lot with your reflection statement in the end.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)