COMP1911 or ENGG1811?? (1 Viewer)

HSC
Uni Grad
Which one should I take to build up my programming skills for statistics related jobs?

lgnorance

HSC
COMP1911 you learn about C, ENGG1811 is boring VBA and Excel stuff. Take ENGG if you are not interested in computing, and vice versa.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Neither.

Computing for stats is done in R, S, and S+

Taking a computing course will just make you frustrated when you do stats because R is sooooo bad.

HSC
Uni Grad
I still need to take a computing course coz I want to make the work in stats easier for myself, plus increased job prospects (lots of ppl hiring statisticians look for computing and programming skills in general, more looking at SAS [MATH2871], which ill be taking next sem or the year after anyway)

Last edited:

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
I still need to take a computing course coz I want to make the work in stats easier for myself, plus increased job prospects (lots of ppl hiring statisticians look for computing and programming skills in general, more looking at SAS [MATH2871], which ill be taking next sem or the year after anyway)
wait until after you do a stats subject. TRUST ME.

GoldyOrNugget

Señor Member
HSC
Neither.
Taking a computing course will just make you frustrated when you do stats because R is sooooo bad.
fucking tell me about it. R is what happens when a group of statisticians think they can make a computing tool without knowing shit about computing. a duct-taped conglomerate of syntactical nightmares precariously balanced on the shoulders of a zombified type system resurrected from half-recalled computing 101 lectures, where the only consistent element of the language is its inconsistency.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
fucking tell me about it. R is what happens when a group of statisticians think they can make a computing tool without knowing shit about computing. a duct-taped conglomerate of syntactical nightmares precariously balanced on the shoulders of a zombified type system resurrected from half-recalled computing 101 lectures, where the only consistent element of the language is its inconsistency.
Yeah... I reckon if I had no knowledge of computing before I did that (like I did at the start of sem 1) I would've been fine, but NUP. I couldn't deal. So bad.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
If you want to do computing subjects for employability, you should take COMP1911 and then do certain level 2 or 3 computing courses that cover more advanced languages like Python and... Java and stuff.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)