Comp2011/2021/2041 (1 Viewer)

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
wanting to know if it would be crazy to do all three at the same time
overloading... :)

is the work load too much for anyone to handle?
or are there things required in one course needed to do before doing the other?
mainly 2041 which is usually done separate

sunny

meh.
HSC
Neither of the 3 are pre-reqs for each other. Its doable, I did something similar last year:

Session 1:
COMP2021
COMP2711
ELEC2031
INFS1603

Sesssion 2:
COMP2041
COMP2920
COMP3211
COMP3311

If you're a competent programmer you should have no problems at all in 2041, 2011 you might need to concentrate to learn, DSS you definitely need to work hard to get good marks.

sunny

meh.
HSC
zoodboog said:
definitely do not to 2711
If you are prepared to do alot of work, without much extra credit, its worth it.

zoodboog said:
2021 is kind of scary, it reminded me of Discrete
Only one topic on boolean algebra :p

zoodboog said:
if anything I would say, do 2011 and 2041 now and do 2021 later, it's not a prereq for anything cool afaik
You're seng yes? Then its not a pre req for pretty much anything you do. But 2021 is the fundamental pre req for almost any higher level hardware or technical subject (micros, OS, Computer Architecture)

sunny

meh.
HSC
Thats 2711 alright :D Although its not the best way to learn, I think in hindsight that subject taught me alot about having to learn (even more) by myself. 2011 in comparison is dull, straightforward and spoonfed.

DSS (I've been told by those higher up) has been a love/hate subject. I guess you fall into the hate category...what did you find wrong with it?

I enjoyed it alot - my partner didn't do any work so I just did all the labs and assignments myself. I did Computer Architecture the session after DSS - I want to do Advanced Architecture when it comes around first session next year too.

gman03

HSC
What can I prepare for 2011 and 2041 (say during these breaks) to minimize my workload during the session?

Looking at the course page it looks as if i should get familiar with java and shell scripting etc....

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
gman03 said:
What can I prepare for 2011 and 2041 (say during these breaks) to minimize my workload during the session?

Looking at the course page it looks as if i should get familiar with java and shell scripting etc....
2011/2711:
Learn Java. If you know C++, this will be easy. If you don't, then you will need to learn OO concepts first. If you don't have that much time, just learn the syntax/the stuff in hte standard library.

This is THE website to visit: http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/index.html
Do the basic tutorials and you are on your way.

2041:
As zoodbog said, this is an easy course. Learn shell/perl if you really want, but you don't really have to.

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
Which courses provide a good intro to Java that doesn't require prereqs? Like fromm either infosys or comp

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
§eraphim said:
Which courses provide a good intro to Java that doesn't require prereqs? Like fromm either infosys or comp
There is no good "intro to java" course from within CSE. Data Org is the most basic Java course.

I dont know about INFS ...

Affinity

HSC
§eraphim said:
Whip out the computer and hack out some code

tonberry_kun

O RLY?
HSC
sunny said:
Neither of the 3 are pre-reqs for each other. Its doable, I did something similar last year:

Session 1:
COMP2021
COMP2711
ELEC2031
INFS1603

Sesssion 2:
COMP2041
COMP2920
COMP3211
COMP3311

If you're a competent programmer you should have no problems at all in 2041, 2011 you might need to concentrate to learn, DSS you definitely need to work hard to get good marks.
did they cancel COMP2920 this session?
it says on the handbook it's available in session 2 but it isnt
and now on the course program guide it says we were meant to do it iin semester 1 -_-
so now what do it do :x

sunny

meh.
HSC
tonberry_kun said:
did they cancel COMP2920 this session?
it says on the handbook it's available in session 2 but it isnt
and now on the course program guide it says we were meant to do it iin semester 1 -_-
so now what do it do :x
They probably did - a fair few COMP subjects that used to run in session 2 no longer do...just do it the next chance you can and get it out of the way.

tonberry_kun

O RLY?
HSC
ah okys thanks...

gah i failed both data org and DSS in semester 1... is it wise to try again this semester? x_x
all those computing electives seem to need them...

as for free electives... any got any good recommendations for those? (preferrably easy/fun/least contact hours)

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
Affinity said:
Whip out the computer and hack out some code
For what purpose? I'd probably be more motivated to do so if there was a problem to solve that required me to use Java.

Btw what's 'O O' language..or something like that?

sunny

meh.
HSC
tonberry_kun said:
gah i failed both data org and DSS in semester 1... is it wise to try again this semester? x_x
all those computing electives seem to need them...
DSS is needed for some of the higher level hardware subjects like Computer Architecture and Microprocessors. Data org is almost a pre req for all the comp subjects, it would be wise to do that.

tonberry_kun said:
as for free electives... any got any good recommendations for those? (preferrably easy/fun/least contact hours)
I tended to pick my electives based on what I like to do....

§eraphim said:
Btw what's 'O O' language..or something like that?
OO = Object Oriented. You don't really know Java unless you understand OO programming.

underthesun

N1NJ4
HSC
For what purpose? I'd probably be more motivated to do so if there was a problem to solve that required me to use Java.
You could try some labs from comp1721 (they're for C, but do them in java for the heck of it). Or prowl the net for lab excercises, there a plenty with google. Motivation is pretty hard to find when doing these things tho, usually they only come out when there's marks for it..

Of course, unless you're one of these self taught hackers who learned C, assembly and <insert random language ere> by themselves from internet tutorials..

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
If you are enrolled in COMP 2041 for this session, enroll in the Friday tute ...

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
underthesun said:
hoho, tutoring 2041

so you did 2041 as an elective? I thought sengers didnt have to do 2041, but yeah
Yes, I did 2041 as a (free) elective, as SENG's don't have to do it. Not a bad course either ...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)