COMP2011/2711 Students Represent! (1 Viewer)

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
I don't know about the lecturer you guys have now, but in 05s2 the java assignments were never difficult but it was made difficult because the course was badly taught.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
redslert said:
I don't know about the lecturer you guys have now, but in 05s2 the java assignments were never difficult but it was made difficult because the course was badly taught.
Agreed. Once i actually research and learn what we're actually meant to do (ie. what shouldve been taught in lectures), i find the assignments pretty simple. I guess for those that haven't learnt java its a little hard to start since they dont teach java syntax at all.

Edit: anyone know how long it takes assignments to be marked? :/ Unless im doing something wrong, theres no marks on the system yet.

Last edited:

gman03

HSC
redslert said:
We never did huffman for 05s2, is this something for higher?
New syllabuses, just like how we did 10 google questions but they do 0.

I like Liv Zempel '77 and '78 and the one used for GIF87 & 89 because you don't actually have to count all the alphabets before you generate codewords.. I never really understood adaptive-huffman coding...

Last edited:

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
gman03 said:
New syllabuses, just like how we did 10 google questions but they do 0.

I like Liv Zempel '77 and '78 and the one used for GIF87 & 89 because you don't actually have to count all the alphabets before you generate codewords.. I never really understood adaptive-huffman coding...
We do two types of compression in this current assignment, huffman and splaying. The splaying method doesnt count the bytes in a file.

rand0m3r

HSC
acmilan, so you've fixed up the splaying and finished the assignment now?

unfortunately i've been bomarded with other work and haven't had the chance to really code this one... but i've got the idea in my head on how to do it. hopefully it will just take 2 or 3 days. or is that being too ambitious?

also a question. for the huffman static code, you know how you attach the frequencies at the start of the file. well when you decompress how do you tell apart from whether the information is the frequencies or the actual compressed file? is there a signal that suggests end of frequencies or are you suppose to only readInt for a certain number of times before you start readBit? ta.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Yeah i got it in the end, just kept playing around with the positions of the rotations until it worked. 2-3 days should be ok, huffman is really easy once you've got the splaying down, its effectively the same code except you remove the splaying commands, and building the tree is a little different (but easier).

As for the frequencies, you just write the frequencies for all 256 ASCII characters, even if they have frequency of 0. So then you use readInt 256 times and you'll have all the frequencies, then you can start the readBit.

underthesun

N1NJ4
HSC
(since the ppl on the course board seem crazily brainy and are already finished)
they cheated using wikipedia ;)

But when I had this course last year, it was the worst I've ever had anyways. There were so many complains you'd think they're going to revamp the course, but it looks like from your replies that they didn't.

brettm86

HSC
acmilan said:
It compares them automatically using a function in the BinaryTreeNode class called compareTo. All you need to do is add the nodes into the priorityqueue and it automatically sorts them by weight. The only functions you need for the priorityqueue are add(node), poll() and size(). Calling the poll() function will pull the node with the least weight out of the priorityqueue.
thank you soo much!!!

i cant believe i didnt read the compareTo method, haha

youve made it perfectly clear what has to be done, i was getting really worried b4 that we had to create our own list structure for the priority queue

im really relieved now, thanks again!!

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
underthesun said:
But when I had this course last year, it was the worst I've ever had anyways. There were so many complains you'd think they're going to revamp the course, but it looks like from your replies that they didn't.
They haven't bother to change this course because they are dropping it entirely, this will be the last year this course will be offered.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
So now they want to put lectures for comp2711 on monday of week 9 and 10 at 6-8 pm >:/. Although its not a huge problem for me, since the only class i have monday is the comp2011 lecture 10-11 which i can easily skip, that'd majorly blow for people with classes they have to go to in the morning. Prediction: approximately 5/45 students will show up to the 2711 lectures.

brettm86

HSC
im a bit stuck on the adaptive splay tree compression technique

is adaptive splay compression the same as adaptive Huffman compression as described on this site:

http://www.cs.duke.edu/csed/curious/compression/adaptivehuff.html

or is it something else??

if it is something else, does anyone know of any internet sites or books that describe this compression technique?

thanks in adv to anyone that can help

rand0m3r

HSC
haha you've got norman as ur avatar. well, i think the ppl over at the CSE forum have pretty much covered it so i won't really add much to it. but basically, just worry about the individual methods you have to write. then look-up and understand the idea behind compression and how it actually works. and your main function should be pretty short, calling the methods you have written.

rand0m3r

HSC
yeah i know it's frustrating... this course is so poorly run it's not funny. i've e-mailed the assignment queries e-mail but no response/change yet.

chris_c28

Random Member
HSC
Wow I never realised this thread existed. I haven't logged onto BoS for the past 6 weeks or so and this shows exactly how much uni work has eaten into my life.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Assignment 3 looks hard :( Although admittedly i said the same thing about assignment 2 before i actually started coding

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
redslert said:
Looks fun.
That's of course because I don't have to do it.
It actually turned out to be ok, sort of fun :S I'm glad they let us write it from scratch, much more better than their restrictive templates.

pyko

psychopyko.com
HSC
><" I was planning to do COMP2011 this year in session2...but I'm not so sure about it now!

Does anyone know who the lecturer is going to be? I've heard that it's Richard :) can anyone confirm this?

Reading the current comp2011 site, it seems that this SESSION is the last time it's being offered...seems like comp2011 s2 is combined with comp1921....is that the equiv of comp1b?! (which i did last year...) or have they pretty much revamped cse courses?

J0n

N/A
HSC
Hm, well it does say on the 1921 stop press:

Welcome to COMP1921 - aka "Data Structures and Algorithms"
aka "COMP2011" aka "COMP2091" aka "That Course"
and it is a Richard-style page.

I suppose it's good if we get Richard, but I don't really want to be lumped in with all the first yrs. :p

The course description from the handbook looks quite different from 1721 (since C is covered in 1911 now, I think).

It looks worse than 2711 in terms of content though. :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)