Competitive vs non competitive (1 Viewer)

pistol112

HSC
There's a few kids in my yr that have this nasty competitive streak, e.g. comparing marks after an exam to see how they did. It's really off putting, some of us are just happy doing how we're doin without competing. Anyone got n e ideas as to how to politely tell them to go away and leave us alone??

adidasboy

weee
HSC
You dunn need to be polite, just "fuck off" will do. Usually gets the message across.

shimmer205

HSC
I know what you mean about annoying competition... We are competing with the rest of NSW next year, do we really need to start this early with the people in our year?

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Comparing marks? It's annoying when people ask: "How did you go in the exam?"
I don't really think that's annoying (of course, it varies from person to person, though). Same with the, asking each other which questions you left out, immediately after an exam.

OP: What school do you go to?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
pistol112 said:
There's a few kids in my yr that have this nasty competitive streak, e.g. comparing marks after an exam to see how they did. It's really off putting, some of us are just happy doing how we're doin without competing. Anyone got n e ideas as to how to politely tell them to go away and leave us alone??
In a strong competitive academic field, you will see that everytime. Just put up with it.

selablad

HSC
I don't like the ones who, after everyone comes out of the exam saying "oh my gosh that was so hard I didn't get any of that", and then they go "oh, really, did you think it was hard? I thought it was really easy..."

grr. I hate that. Surely they could be more diplomatic about it?

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
lyounamu said:
In a strong competitive academic field, you will see that everytime. Just put up with it.
Not really, it doesn't have to be 'strongly academic'. There are dummies that still compare their score with others, even if they didn't study 'Hey how'd u go man?, Wow 95? Damn u beat me straight man I got 50', etc etc. I've witnessed it a lot of the time...

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Razizi said:
Not really, it doesn't have to be 'strongly academic'. There are dummies that still compare their score with others, even if they didn't study 'Hey how'd u go man?, Wow 95? Damn u beat me straight man I got 50', etc etc. I've witnessed it a lot of the time...
Lol. Are you serious? That's too idiotic.

pistol112

HSC
Aerath said:
Comparing marks? It's annoying when people ask: "How did you go in the exam?"
I don't really think that's annoying (of course, it varies from person to person, though). Same with the, asking each other which questions you left out, immediately after an exam.
Yeah exactly. It's none of their business. I mean while ur running a race u dont turn and ask "what place are u coming?" It's stupid. I really think some ppl need to keep themselves to themselves, if i wanted u 2 know that i kicked ur arse in a maths exam, don't u think i'd tell u??

me121

Premium Member
HSC
pistol112 said:
Well, in my opinion, if others want to compare marks that their choice, not yours. If however you don't want to tell them what you got, then you don't have too (though some teachers post up everyone marks for everyone to see).

I always used to compare marks with people at school, because, I think its interesting to get an idea of how you are going compared with your peers.

If they keep bragging to you about how they got 100% in the exam and you can't deal with it, just tell em you don't care how they went.

This is more of a personal thing, so I can't really comment, but if they do good then shouldn't you be happy for them doing so well...

I think its kind if someone asks you how you went, because it shows they take a slight interest in their peers.

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
me121 said:
Well, in my opinion, if others want to compare marks that their choice, not yours. If however you don't want to tell them what you got, then you don't have too (though some teachers post up everyone marks for everyone to see).

I always used to compare marks with people at school, because, I think its interesting to get an idea of how you are going compared with your peers.

If they keep bragging to you about how they got 100% in the exam and you can't deal with it, just tell em you don't care how they went.

This is more of a personal thing, so I can't really comment, but if they do good then shouldn't you be happy for them doing so well...

I think its kind if someone asks you how you went, because it shows they take a slight interest in their peers.
Agreed.

What's wrong with comparing marks? Lots of people like to compare marks, so just let them. If you don't like it or just don't want people to know, just walk away or something. It's really not for you to decide whether or not they do anyhow.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Continuum said:
Agreed.

What's wrong with comparing marks? Lots of people like to compare marks, so just let them. If you don't like it or just don't want people to know, just walk away or something. It's really not for you to decide whether or not they do anyhow.
I personally compare marks all the time. I never ask them because I don't wish to interrupt others' privacies on these. However, I learn their marks through others. Some people say that I have got a ranking system established in my head because I constantly compare marks and put them in order, lol.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Yeah, I like to compare marks with others in my grade. However, if someone says: "I rather not say", then I don't push the issue.

Aplus

HSC
N/A
lol what about Asians. After every test, their reply is, "I failed." Test comes back, 95%+

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Aplus said:
lol what about Asians. After every test, their reply is, "I failed." Test comes back, 95%+
Then there's the other group of Asians: "I found that really easy". Ranks come back, 150/210.

"Fuck! That test was sooooo hard, I flunked it!"

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
lol, I'm usually the one going around asking everyone how they went, but if they kindly shake their head or something, I don't push the issue. Ultimately, it's your decision on whether you tell the people or not.

I usually ask people how they went to know how I went as my teachers never tell us who came 1st :(

bawd

HSC
98% of our year freely share their marks around; sometimes someone would get a really bad mark and rather keep it to themselves, which of course is perfectly understandable. What I do not understand however, is those who get competitive by keeping ideas to themselves in class.

We were having a discussion about Othello in English Advanced and just pouring out streams of consciousness in an attempt to get ideas for the upcoming assessment task. This one guy, let's call him X (he was a pretty good guy in year 10, but he's been getting cocky lately), then gets a good idea, whispers it to a mate (we'll call him Y) who tells him it's excellent and to tell the class (or confirm the idea with the teacher, I don't know for certain) and he says, "But everyone else will hear it!" Then, half the class turns to him and just goes "What the hell X, we're trying to help each other here!" But he just shrugs it off with a smirk. :vcross:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)