Completely happy and content with being alone? (1 Viewer)

beckywecky

HSC
Heya everyone,

It's that time of the year again - Valentines Day. It's a time when all those in relationships have an excuse to pamper their loved one, whilst us singles are 'alone.'

I know sooo many people who thrive on being in relationships to the point where it's the ONLY way to achieve 'happiness.' They continually rely on other people to make them happy. They cannot be complete without that special someone in their life, regardless of whether or not that person really is worth it. And when they're single, they're always depressed and searching for their 'one true love.' Pfft...

I am, on the other hand, completely content with being SINGLE! I absolutely love it. I love the thrill of being able to go out every weekend and meet new guys, without wanting a relationship or anything serious to come of it. I've been single since 2004 and it's been the funnest time of my life since then. I always choose a casual fling over a serious relationship. Mainly because I am too picky when it comes to having a boyfriend - I don't want to waste my time with anyone who isn't worth it.

Is there anyone that feels the same way as I do, and realise that there's more to life than having a bf/gf?

Thoughts appreciated :)

davin

HSC
N/A
yeah....its annoying if you have to dwell on it. for me, its not being single that is a bummer for me...i accepted that would be my fate a good...oh...7 or 8 years ago.
i think the only part that makes it annoying is if you do have your eye on someone but can't, for one reason or another.
still, you can get used to it and not get phased.
though i agree, its magnified when you don't have anything to do...cuz then its just a lot of time, at home, dwelling about it. and then you get posts like this

Lundy

Banned
HSC
I admit that sometimes I do feel a bit lonely. I'm not going to pretend I absolutely love singledom. Because I don't. It has it's upsides, but I'm not the type to go and have flings with random guys.

beckywecky

HSC
davin said:
i think the only part that makes it annoying is if you do have your eye on someone but can't, for one reason or another.
Yeah, definitely... The old saying, "You always want what you can't have" speaks truth in that type of situation. Funnily enough, the only person I could see myself being with lives way, way, way too far away for anything to ever happen without someone moving.

Ah well, such is life! :)

dark_horse

HSC
Single life is fun, except if you are either terribly unattractive or you really REALLY want a bf/gf.

There are however some self respect issues that need to be adressed if you are constantly having flings, do you think you arent attractive enough to keep a bf/gf so you keep trying to prove to yourself that you are good enough by hooking up with randoms?

davin

HSC
N/A
beckywecky said:
Yeah, definitely... The old saying, "You always want what you can't have" speaks truth in that type of situation. Funnily enough, the only person I could see myself being with lives way, way, way too far away for anything to ever happen without someone moving.

Ah well, such is life! :)
that is EXACTLY my issue

Single life is fun, except if you are either terribly unattractive or you really REALLY want a bf/gf.
general single life doesn't bug me, and has fun stuff, and i'm terribly unattractive, so i disagree.

dark_horse

HSC
'general single life doesn't bug me, and has fun stuff, and i'm terribly unattractive, so i disagree.'

sorry i should have written are terribly unattractive and/or really want a bf/gf

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
Being single's fun when you're around singles.

I have more fun being taken though, especially with Valentine's Day coming up. :p

azzie

so delicious...
HSC
i rekon being single is awesome. you get to do what you like when you like, and if you see someone attractive you're free to pick them up or whatever.
somehow though, i like being in a relationship better. i've been through the wild and single stage, and it was fun. but it was really empty and weird. i felt like i was getting nothing out of it.
when i got into the relationship im in now i decided i wanted something different. i wanted to be with somone who could be fun and interesting but someone who wouldn't be on my back all the time about spending time with my mates and going out. someone who would have a life of their own too. i like it this way. i'm happy. i dont think i'd only be happy in a relationship, but im happy in this one. if i was cramped with someone id hate it.

beckywecky

HSC
davin said:
that is EXACTLY my issue.
Oh really? That your 'special person' lives really far away, or you always want what you can't have? (Those two go hand in hand anyway).

dark_horse said:
There are however some self respect issues that need to be adressed if you are constantly having flings, do you think you arent attractive enough to keep a bf/gf so you keep trying to prove to yourself that you are good enough by hooking up with randoms?
I don't know if that's a general comment or one directed at me, but either way - I don't think it's exactly great for your self worth or your reputation to constantly have flings (That wasn't what I was getting at).

Whenever a potential person comes along, I usually know within a very short time if I can see myself actually going somewhere with them. And if I can't see that, I won't bother. Period. So I guess that's what I meant by, "flings." But really, I guess it's more about waiting for someone who's worth spending time with, rather than hooking up with 'random's.

If that makes sense.

PLURFECT!

HSC
beckywecky said:
Heya everyone,

It's that time of the year again - Valentines Day. It's a time when all those in relationships have an excuse to pamper their loved one, whilst us singles are 'alone.'

I know sooo many people who thrive on being in relationships to the point where it's the ONLY way to achieve 'happiness.' They continually rely on other people to make them happy. They cannot be complete without that special someone in their life, regardless of whether or not that person really is worth it. And when they're single, they're always depressed and searching for their 'one true love.' Pfft...

I am, on the other hand, completely content with being SINGLE! I absolutely love it. I love the thrill of being able to go out every weekend and meet new guys, without wanting a relationship or anything serious to come of it. I've been single since 2004 and it's been the funnest time of my life since then. I always choose a casual fling over a serious relationship. Mainly because I am too picky when it comes to having a boyfriend - I don't want to waste my time with anyone who isn't worth it.

Is there anyone that feels the same way as I do, and realise that there's more to life than having a bf/gf?

Thoughts appreciated :)
Hello my sexy prostitute! :wave:

I despise Valentines day. Absoluely detest it. It encourages the people around me to either wallow and become even more consumed in their own self pity, or get caught up in the consumeristic materialism of what "love" isn't with their signifigant other. I know what you mean about people always needing to be in love, heck - we've lost some good friends to that disease over the years....

I hate flings. Haha. I'm so not cut out for them! I must echo the appreciation of the city though - it is awesome having to the freedom to meet people and be as spontaneous as we can fathom without having the responsibility and commitment to another person. Standards are not a bad thing! We should embrace our inclination towards our ridiculously high standards, and start a club embodying the truth that it is NOT overrated to expect maturity, intelligence, and all that jazz. :rofl:

beckywecky

HSC
PLURFECT! said:

Hello my sexy prostitute! :wave:

I despise Valentines day. Absoluely detest it. It encourages the people around me to either wallow and become even more consumed in their own self pity, or get caught up in the consumeristic materialism of what "love" isn't with their signifigant other. I know what you mean about people always needing to be in love, heck - we've lost some good friends to that disease over the years....

I hate flings. Haha. I'm so not cut out for them! I must echo the appreciation of the city though - it is awesome having to the freedom to meet people and be as spontaneous as we can fathom without having the responsibility and commitment to another person. Standards are not a bad thing! We should embrace our inclination towards our ridiculously high standards, and start a club embodying the truth that it is NOT overrated to expect maturity, intelligence, and all that jazz. :rofl:
OH MY GOD, you've found me my love! I didn't know you were on here.

You of all people know how much I appreciate the city! Aahh, the amount of times we've met so many different people. The young, the old, the hairy. THE SWEDISH.

Mmm...

davin

HSC
N/A
Oh really? That your 'special person' lives really far away, or you always want what you can't have? (Those two go hand in hand anyway).
that she's a really far way away, so i'd be very surprised if anything were to ever come of it...downside being that i've not done well on moving beyond those feelings.

Whenever a potential person comes along, I usually know within a very short time if I can see myself actually going somewhere with them. And if I can't see that, I won't bother. Period. So I guess that's what I meant by, "flings." But really, I guess it's more about waiting for someone who's worth spending time with, rather than hooking up with 'random's.
personally, i'm not type to try people out much unless i've really reason to...see what you mean with see where things can go, but i tend to do that before a relationship even would start.

Ranger Stacie

hollaback girl
HSC
normally, i don't mind being single that much, as im normally pretty busy with work, uni, friends etc although with the occasional 'i wish i had a bf..sigh' phases...im not really into random flings at all either.at the moment the prospect of valentines day is pretty depressing because i am newly single and not over my ex at all..

beckywecky

HSC
davin said:
that she's a really far way away, so i'd be very surprised if anything were to ever come of it...downside being that i've not done well on moving beyond those feelings.
We're in the same boat here, my friend. She's in Australia though, right?

davin said:
personally, i'm not type to try people out much unless i've really reason to...see what you mean with see where things can go, but i tend to do that before a relationship even would start.
Oh yeah, that's what I mean... I never get into the position where a relationship would start as I find out if they're even worth my time a longgggg time before that.

Haha, I'm not having the best time expressing myself articulately tonight!

PLURFECT!

HSC
beckywecky said:
OH MY GOD, you've found me my love! I didn't know you were on here.

You of all people know how much I appreciate the city! Aahh, the amount of times we've met so many different people.
ROFL, i was filling out my profile while we were on MSN a few nights ago - hence i asked you "Did you put your actual mobile number in registration?" :rofl:

beckywecky said:
TheYoung, the old, the hair. THE SWEEDISH!
And let's not forget....

THE IRISH!!!!!

*Giggle*

"An' ahe said, Ave got farve boomps on mi bom!!!!"

beckywecky

HSC
PLURFECT! said:

ROFL, i was filling out my profile while we were on MSN a few nights ago - hence i asked you "Did you put your actual mobile number in registration?" :rofl:

And let's not forget....

THE IRISH!!!!!

*Giggle*

"An' ahe said, Ave got farve boomps on mi bom!!!!"
Haha, oh yes, how could I forget.

The downsides of being single? Being picked up by several drunk Irish men whilst on a night out with your awesomest girl friend.

What did that guy think he was doing? What a pick up line, "Er, I've got five bumps on me bum! Five bumps! *Mumbles incoherently*

And then there was Tommy, the OTHER Irish guy, who continually lied about his age and tried to steal a kiss. Ew. Not to mention... Whatever his name was, and his friend... Jordan? Ah, I can't remember. They were Irish though. Haha.

Ah, I love you and our nights out!

davin

HSC
N/A
We're in the same boat here, my friend. She's in Australia though, right?
she is in Australia, yes. downside, i'm not, just want to be often for at least a portion of uni

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)