complex number q - conjugate theorem (1 Viewer)

Joshmosh2

HSC
"If α, where α is a non-real complex number, is a root of the equation ax^2 + bx + c = 0, where a,b and c are real, prove that its conjugate (conjugate of α) is also a root."

Can someone please explain to me step by step how to solve the q

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
For some reason, the conjugate bar isn't reaching across the necessary terms. Sorry about that.

But essentially, we slowly use our conjugate properties to prove that if alpha is a root (ie P(alpha)=0), then P(alpha conjugate) = 0.

Joshmosh2

HSC
Thanks, but i'm slightly confused about the working out. The worked solution shows the conjugate of the entire equation, then slowly working down to the conjugate of alpha only, thus the conjugate of alpha is a root. Is this essentially what you are doing in your proof?

Also, do you need to state what theorems you are using?

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Thanks, but i'm slightly confused about the working out. The worked solution shows the conjugate of the entire equation, then slowly working down to the conjugate of alpha only, thus the conjugate of alpha is a root. Is this essentially what you are doing in your proof?

Also, do you need to state what theorems you are using?
They are doing the reverse of what I am doing. They started from the assumption that P(alpha)=0, then conjugated both sides, then worked from there.

The proof that I did (or the reverse of theirs) is a lot more intuitive.

Joshmosh2

HSC
Oh cool!
For each step, do you need to state what theorem you are using?

Chlee1998

HSC
Started complex today, I think this works an alternative though

ax^2 + bx+ c. Since one of the roots are complex, the other must complex also.

Then the complex root alpha = (-b +- i(b^2 - 4ac)^(1/2))/2

Obviously then the other root has the sign switched in front of the 'i', which is its conjugate.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Started complex today, I think this works an alternative though

ax^2 + bx+ c. Since one of the roots are complex, the other must complex also.

Then the complex root alpha = (-b +- i(b^2 - 4ac)^(1/2))/2

Obviously then the other root has the sign switched in front of the 'i', which is its conjugate.
The question in itself is to prove the conjugate root theorem for quadratics. So that bolded part cannot be claimed just yet.

Your proof is valid in its current form, but it is a very weak proof. It seems like your approach is to use the quadratic formula to explicitly find the roots and then to show that the roots are conjugates of each other.

Now, if the coefficients are real, then this result is obviously true.

However, it has the following weaknesses.

- This method only works for quadratics, since you know an explicit formula for solving them. What if the polynomial was a cubic instead?

- This method doesn't demonstrate clearly why it is important to have the coefficients being real.

- Proving the converse (excluding real polynomials multiplied by a non-real constant) is difficult for higher order polynomials.

Chlee1998

HSC
The question in itself is to prove the conjugate root theorem for quadratics. So that bolded part cannot be claimed just yet.

Your proof is valid in its current form, but it is a very weak proof. It seems like your approach is to use the quadratic formula to explicitly find the roots and then to show that the roots are conjugates of each other.

Now, if the coefficients are real, then this result is obviously true.

However, it has the following weaknesses.

- This method only works for quadratics, since you know an explicit formula for solving them. What if the polynomial was a cubic instead?

- This method doesn't demonstrate clearly why it is important to have the coefficients being real.

- Proving the converse (excluding real polynomials multiplied by a non-real constant) is difficult for higher order polynomials.
I may have worded the bolded weirdly but what I meant was that when you explicitly solve for the quadratic you get two complex roots. Yes I do understand that this only applies for quadratics but nonetheless still a valid proof? Also when I did the question persnally I proved it using conjugates like you have and this method was onlu supposed to be an alternative. But what you have said about this solution only being valid because we knew the formula for quadratic equation is very true indeed

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
I may have worded the bolded weirdly but what I meant was that when you explicitly solve for the quadratic you get two complex roots. Yes I do understand that this only applies for quadratics but nonetheless still a valid proof? Also when I did the question persnally I proved it using conjugates like you have and this method was onlu supposed to be an alternative. But what you have said about this solution only being valid because we knew the formula for quadratic equation is very true indeed
It is indeed a valid proof.

Joshmosh2

HSC
I have another question that leads on from this one.

Deduce that if alpha is a none real root of ax^2 + bx + c =0, where a,b,c are real, then the conjugate of alpha is the other root of this quadratic equation.

I don't really understand this question. Any explanation is appreciated,

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)