Complex Numbers (1 Viewer)

U MAD BRO

HSC
N/A
Let Z=CIS(a) where 0 < a < pi
show that the real part of (Z-1)/(Z+1) is zero.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
have you tried... plugging z = cis(a) in, and then rationalising the denominator?

U MAD BRO

HSC
N/A
have you tried... plugging z = cis(a) in, and then rationalising the denominator?
Yes it works !!!
I've been substituting Z with x+iy and didn't work that way.
you get (cos^2+sin^2)-1 on the numerator which it zero :)
thank you

Last edited:

Nooblet94

Premium Member
HSC
You can also do it graphically. Plot the points z and 1 on the argand diagram. Then draw in z+1. You'll get a parallelogram with vertices 0, 1, z, z+1 and diagonals z+1 and z-1. Now since the diagonals of a parallelogram intersect at 90 degrees, after some rearranging you'll have arg[(z-1)/(z+1)]=90 degrees, which means it lies on the imaginary axis, so its real part is zero.

U MAD BRO

HSC
N/A
You can also do it graphically. Plot the points z and 1 on the argand diagram. Then draw in z+1. You'll get a parallelogram with vertices 0, 1, z, z+1 and diagonals z+1 and z-1. Now since the diagonals of a parallelogram intersect at 90 degrees, after some rearranging you'll have arg[(z-1)/(z+1)]=90 degrees, which means it lies on the imaginary axis, so its real part is zero.
That's what I did first.
But I couldn't show that they intersect at 90 degrees, now I just realized that you can easily prove that 0, 1, z, z+1 is a rhombus because all sides are equal (equal to 1) and one of the properties of the rhombus states that diagonals intersect at 90 degrees :)
Check out my new question, hopefully you can assist me with that one.

Solution

BoS Revolutionary
HSC
N/A
That's what I did first.
But I couldn't show that they intersect at 90 degrees, now I just realized that you can easily prove that 0, 1, z, z+1 is a rhombus because all sides are equal (equal to 1) and one of the properties of the rhombus states that diagonals intersect at 90 degrees :)
Check out my new question, hopefully you can assist me with that one.
Excuse my ignorance but how do the sides equal to one? I mean I know the vector from 0 to 1 is obviously 1 but what about from O to Z? Ie: lzl ?
How do you figure that out?

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Are you sure about this part?

Excuse my ignorance but how do the sides equal to one? I mean I know the vector from 0 to 1 is obviously 1 but what about from O to Z? Ie: lzl ?
How do you figure that out?
z=cis(a), so it has modulus 1.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
A rhombus IS a parallelogram, but more of a special type, so best to say 'rhombus' rather than 'parallelograms', where the diagonals aren't necessarily 90 degrees apart.

seanieg89

HSC
You will want to be a little careful here, the arg of this fraction could also be -90, or even undefined (in the case z=1). This is the sort of diagram-dependence error that can be so easy to overlook.
As it happens, if the arg is -90 or undefined we must still lie on the imaginary axis.

U MAD BRO

HSC
N/A
You will want to be a little careful here, the arg of this fraction could also be -90, or even undefined (in the case z=1). This is the sort of diagram-dependence error that can be so easy to overlook.
As it happens, if the arg is -90 or undefined we must still lie on the imaginary axis.
Is it always true that the real part of (Z-1)/(Z+1) is equal to zero?

edit: it has to be Z = cis (0 < a < pi)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)