Computer for uni? (Eng UNSW) (1 Viewer)

MHael

HSC
I'm really not sure which way to go with this. For anyone currently doing a BE (at UNSW in particular) what would be your optimum setup be as far as computers are concerned?

I have a desktop I could just take to Sydney with me, or should I get a netbook to go with it, just get a netbook or get a fully fledged laptop or what?

Some hindsight would be appreciated, thanks. Apologies for the slightly illogical sentence structure.

rubookmark

HSC
Uni Grad
I think you should definately bring the desktop with you....cause from what I know, you'll need the processing power. Just a netbook alone wont prbly meet your needs.

As for an additional netbook/laptop to go with the desktop.....depends on what ur gonna be using it for.
If your lving on campus, don't really see the need (cause most enginering based programs are only accessible via the uni comp labs).

That's all I know....I;m debating on getting a netbook/laptop myself for uni so i'm faced with the same dilemma.

MHael

HSC
Well, the desktop is actually a few years old now. It really doesn't handle AutoCAD 2007, at least the 3D part of it and it's certainly no good for any 3D modelling without some money spent, or probably complete replacement. Just about anything up from a netbook now will be faster than this.

2GHz AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Socket 939 (Single Core)
128MB ATI Radeon X300 SE
1 GB PC 3200

But there are better places to ask about what I should specifically replace things with, what I want to know is what the best setup as far as computers go is, with a little consideration to what I've already got. If you get what I mean.

muscleman09

HSC
don't buy a netbook... ever

get 'HP Pavilion dv7 Notebook PC' if your willing to spend a lill more than usual

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
I agree, buying a netbook for engineering is a waste of money.

You will need to use MATLAB all the time and that would crawl on a netbook.

A laptop is useful if you don't want to be cooped in the lab all the time.

Last edited:

rubookmark

HSC
Uni Grad
What are the bare minimum specs to run MATLAB?

Cause I want to buy a laptop but dont want to spend too much on it......or is it better to invest in a good laptop?

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
fully fledged laptop.

you're gonna be using maple, matlab, catia/autocad (depending on if you're a mech/civil engineer).

im doing mech eng @ unsw, my laptop is an asus, 2.53ghz dual core centrino 2, 4gb ram, 512mb ati graphics card.
i also chose these specs because i play games, lol, but it's fairly quick, so cad and stuff also run nicely.

i'd suggest get something like this if you also game, or a dell or some sort.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
fully fledged laptop.

you're gonna be using maple, matlab, catia/autocad (depending on if you're a mech/civil engineer).

im doing mech eng @ unsw, my laptop is an asus, 2.53ghz dual core centrino 2, 4gb ram, 512mb ati graphics card.
i also chose these specs because i play games, lol, but it's fairly quick, so cad and stuff also run nicely.

i'd suggest get something like this if you also game, or a dell or some sort.
Are all the engo programs only Windows compatible... if so, what's the framerate like when using some of these things in bootcamp from a Mac? If anyone knows...

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
May be wrong, but there may be mac versions of CAD ... i knw there are open source versions ofCAD on Linux.

But yeah, get a fully fledged Laptop. the higher the specs , the better. You don't want to go cheap on it .. because you would suffer in the long rn

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Are all the engo programs only Windows compatible... if so, what's the framerate like when using some of these things in bootcamp from a Mac? If anyone knows...
The same as on a PC. Bootcamp runs natively.

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
I use maple and matlab on mac, they run fine.

Not sure about CAD... since I don't do that kind of stuff.

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
What are the bare minimum specs to run MATLAB?

Cause I want to buy a laptop but dont want to spend too much on it......or is it better to invest in a good laptop?
Any cheap laptop should be fine, just make sure it has at least 3Gb of ram.

I don't think you will be doing anything processor heavy in undergrad.

RDX

one8seven
HSC
Uni Grad
Don't buy an HP. Ever.
Their consumer range ie. The Pavillions aren't of great quality.
Their corporate range such as the elitebook's, probooks etc. are solid, durable and reliable machines.

Makro

Porcupine
HSC
A Good processor and you can really just buy RAM separately. You shouldn't pay for extra ram if that's the difference. Also, I've no experience with those programs, but I know for anything design CPU is a must, if anything is a 3D application, your graphics card needs not to be a piece of shit.

rubookmark

HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks for the info. Yeah, doing Civil eng and want a laptop that i can play MMORPGs. Also since I'm gonna be using it frequently...want to make a decent investment.

Probably Windows 7....and I'll splurge of the graphics card and RAM

Makro

Porcupine
HSC
Thanks for the info. Yeah, doing Civil eng and want a laptop that i can play MMORPGs. Also since I'm gonna be using it frequently...want to make a decent investment.

Probably Windows 7....and I'll splurge of the graphics card and RAM
Luckily for you MMOs are more focused towards CPU if you already have a decent GPU. What MMOs? Games like DDO don't have the stupid crowd issues like WoW does. Oh hi 56700 people on my screen, way to kill my $20000 computer because Blizzard are fucking retarded.

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
omg soo heavy my shoulder hurts :(:(:(

:cry:

edit: netbooks wont be able to run cad software, and math software would run heaps slow. read the OP!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)