computer science (1 Viewer)

chucknthem

chuck norris
HSC
I'm applying for that this year, is anyone else here doing that?

I heard one of the languages I'll be using is haskel, where's a good place to get started on it, like maybe some "hello world" tutorials:rofl: and a good free compiler?

also, what are we going to be doing in the first year core subjects?

sunny

meh.
HSC
chucknthem said:
I'm applying for that this year, is anyone else here doing that?

I heard one of the languages I'll be using is haskel, where's a good place to get started on it, like maybe some "hello world" tutorials:rofl: and a good free compiler?

also, what are we going to be doing in the first year core subjects?
Haskell is no longer taught anymore :) You will be starting off with C in first year.

For everything you need to know about the structure of comp sci: http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/undergrad/programs/bsccs.html

Last edited:

chucknthem

chuck norris
HSC
oh sweet, I already know a bit of C++ so C should be a cinch to pick up :)

can you give me some examples of an assignment that we might do in comp1911 or comp1921?

sunny

meh.
HSC
Here are the course webpages, you can find everything about the subjects coursework from these sites; assignments, tutorial questions, etc:
http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~cs1911
http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~cs1921

I'm sure you can see what the pattern is for the URL for other subjects :)

I can't say much for those subjects, they're relatively new subjects that weren't around when I was in first year (we did Haskell back then, the first year structure was different)

Mumma

HSC
Im going to be doing Civil Engineering/Computer Science. Computer Science mainly for the sake of learning, and I am very interested in eventually learning about AI/Neural networks and the like. Any anyway, CS gives me more choice in terms of what fields Id like to work in.

Do you use Python? Im fairly good at that, so hopefully yes. Though I am looking forward to learning C.

syper

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
HSC
Hey Chuck,

I've also applied for computer science, I pretty much got the same UAI as you too :p

Sunny howcome you're in 5th year? Also did you go to Sydney Tech, or am I thinking of McLake?

sunny

meh.
HSC
No thats me. McLake went to Caringbah. I'm in 5th year cause I was on coop for comp sci, so the degree took 4 years instead of 3, and now I'm starting my honours so thats 5 :)

sunny

meh.
HSC
Mumma said:
Do you use Python? Im fairly good at that, so hopefully yes. Though I am looking forward to learning C.
Not that I know of in any subjects :( In AI we use Prolog and Java. Whats used does depend on the lecturer taking the course though..

chucknthem

chuck norris
HSC
sunny said:
Here are the course webpages, you can find everything about the subjects coursework from these sites; assignments, tutorial questions, etc:
http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~cs1911
http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~cs1921
cool thx, I'll check them out :)

Mumma said:
the only language I use right now is C++. I know a tiny bit of VB and Pascal(like a few things about loops and strings, lol)

syper said:
Hey Chuck,
I've also applied for computer science, I pretty much got the same UAI as you too :p
cool, I'll see you when uni starts :D

syper

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
HSC
sunny said:
No thats me. McLake went to Caringbah. I'm in 5th year cause I was on coop for comp sci, so the degree took 4 years instead of 3, and now I'm starting my honours so thats 5 :)
Ah I see. What was the co-op program like? I bet the year of work experience will come in handy at the end of this year when you're looking for a job. :)

So what do you think of the course overall, and any advice for 1st year? :D Tech ftw!

chucknthem said:
cool, I'll see you when uni starts :D
Are you going to the O-Week thing?

sunny

meh.
HSC
syper said:
Ah I see. What was the co-op program like? I bet the year of work experience will come in handy at the end of this year when you're looking for a job. :)
It really does help with uni, not just $ but knowing people as well. I'm already back at my sponsor now doing part time over summer. :)

syper

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
HSC
sunny said:
It really does help with uni, not just $ but knowing people as well. I'm already back at my sponsor now doing part time over summer. :)
Nice! Was it hard to get selected? You can't apply after first year can you.. :(

politik said:
First Year computing? Start programming straight away. Get your CSE account registered ASAP, and get the textbook for 1911 (Alistair Moffat; Programming, Problem Solving, and Abstraction with C).

1911's website has been taken down for the new year (and so students don't use the material to skip ahead), but I downloaded it all (the pdfs, tutorial exercises, c examples, etc) weeks ago (in anticipation for my second attempt at 1911), so here it is:
http://rapidshare.com/files/10300893/comp1911__s2__06.rar.html
Thanks for the advice, I'll have to start learning C then.. your second attempt? So this is one of the harder courses in first year I guess. I'm not really looking forward to Maths 1A & 1B, are they hard too?

I don't think we can register a CSE account yet (main round offers are still yet to be made).

Thanks for uploading all the work though, much appreciated :)

Last edited:

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
You can apply for co-op in 2nd year if theres free spots. This year I (and all other 2nd years) were offered to get into it because there were spots still available (pretty much guaranteed entry due to lack of people). I wouldve taken it if i were straight comp sci, but i like maths too much.

MedNez

:o>---<
HSC
N/A
It was also the first time the course had run, with a great lecturer (who does set challenging tasks).

It was difficult (Note I have previous experience), and I struggled with parts of it, but it is doable.

syper

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
HSC
acmilan said:
You can apply for co-op in 2nd year if theres free spots. This year I (and all other 2nd years) were offered to get into it because there were spots still available (pretty much guaranteed entry due to lack of people). I wouldve taken it if i were straight comp sci, but i like maths too much.
Ahh ok cool, so in that case would they look at your first year results instead of the UAI?

On the site it says "A 2006 school leaver for Engineering and Science programs with a UAI 95.7 (or equivalent)satisfies the academic requirement for selection as a Co-op Scholar. However, if you were expecting a UAI of at least 93.8, it would still be worth applying." buy my UAI isn't that great :p

Also, what's with the lack of people doing this course?

sunny

meh.
HSC
I wouldn't say lack, its just computing in general is not as popular as it once was.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
I dont think theres a lack of people doing comp sci, i think its more co-op is slightly restrictive. A lot of the people doing comp sci combine it with something else, which isnt allowed with co-op. I definitely wouldve done co-op had I done straight comp sci.

chucknthem

chuck norris
HSC
hm...I hope I can get in second year, I'm gonna need the money, living by myself and all, lol

how hard are those first year math classes? I only got a 75 in 4u but I guess uni is a good place to start doing homework:sleep: so I might do better

politik said:
First Year computing? Start programming straight away. Get your CSE account registered ASAP, and get the textbook for 1911 (Alistair Moffat; Programming, Problem Solving, and Abstraction with C).

1911's website has been taken down for the new year (and so students don't use the material to skip ahead), but I downloaded it all (the pdfs, tutorial exercises, c examples, etc) weeks ago (in anticipation for my second attempt at 1911), so here it is:
http://rapidshare.com/files/10300893/comp1911__s2__06.rar.html
skimming over the assignments and labs folder, it doesn't look too bad at all(probably because I've done similar things to that in C++ in year 10 when I lived in the US). Hopefully I won't get pwned too hard in first semester :D

what electives would you guys recommend taking in first year? I'm a bit of a science person and would like to take some science courses, but economics kinda interests me as well...or should I take more comp courses to stay ahead?

oh and, when is O week again?

Last edited:

sunny

meh.
HSC
chucknthem said:
what electives would you guys recommend taking in first year? I'm a bit of a science person and would like to take some science courses, but economics kinda interests me as well...or should I take more comp courses to stay ahead?
You won't be able to take any more comp classes yet since you wouldn't have met the pre requisites for any of them (since you wouldn't have finished first year computing yet). You should really pick what interests you, so you can keep going with it in later years if you want to.

I did some physics, elec and information systems. But all the ones I've done lately are comp subjects.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)