Computers for Year 10 ?? (1 Viewer)

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
nerdsforever said:
wouldnt it be cooler to use laptops in our exams than pen and paper?

I hope Rudd gives us our laptops, but I hardly doubt that. People need to keep their promises these days, instead of bluffing
It would be nice if we could revolutionize to a technological age... Though we are one now... I mean at school. Using better facilities and using a laptop to do the exam would be sooo much cool... with a WACOM drawing pad if you need to drawing diagrams.... No mre messy scribbles!

HSC
aronzak said:
Seems a little bit ridiculous for school students to be carrying around golden computers (1000+). Why do you need a fast/good computer, if all you are using it for is schoolwork? There was a lot of talk that the $500 bonus could just be used to buy cheap computers. And why not? Linux and Openoffice should be good enough for school use. Plus, not having an optical drive could be an advantage that it will be harder to use these for playing computer games. There are now heaps of companies making these: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_netbooks
hence the debate over child safety

kaz1 said:
State Government resposibility.

Anywayz I read in my school newsletter that we should be getting our laptops by the end of the year. They would be pretty alright laptops as well $1000 each.
i thought rudd said he wuld be taking a direct hand in hospitals

Last edited by a moderator:

zzzz12345

HSC
sikhman said:
you're kidding right? $97 grand is a lot of money for a family....i dont know where you're coming from but thats a lot more than we get....

and laptops aren't generally an investment to make money off....they are an investment to assist children learning. Not everything is just about investing in goods to make more money....
Note the part where it says combined. If both the parents are working (and generally by secondary school if not by primary school most parents are) then $48,500 (or so) per working parent is by no means an extremely large salary especially with tax, mortgage repayments (taking into account rising interests), petrol and etc. Take into consideration that the average Australian salary is in excess of $57,000. But I think you missed my point. I'm not saying that it's not a lot of money; for many people it would be; what I'm saying that there are many more people who could use this assistance but won't receive it because they fall out of the bracket. I merely aimed to point out that there is a catch with this policy and that not all families gain under this new 'Education Revolution'.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
sikhman said:
you're kidding right? $97 grand is a lot of money for a family....i dont know where you're coming from but thats a lot more than we get....

and laptops aren't generally an investment to make money off....they are an investment to assist children learning. Not everything is just about investing in goods to make more money....
It really isn't these days. 97K will be reduced to about 60-70 after tax. On top of that, many people pay mortgage. I have read articles about that. You at least need 120K.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
lyounamu said:
It really isn't these days. 97K will be reduced to about 60-70 after tax. On top of that, many people pay mortgage. I have read articles about that. You at least need 120K.
Not the argument on how much money is needed for a family to live/survive/live comfortably... Let's just say that people have a difference perspective on how much is needed to live comfortably and different people are able to live on different amounts of money because of their socio-economic status... also their upbringing.

Cerry

HSC
Aquawhite said:
It would be a lot more helpful if we revolutionized into germany lol. A lot of their work at the Gynasiums (highest ranking highschools) use laptops as the main source of information.... no textbooks... They are loaded onto the computers :D
I was actually in Germany over the Christmas holidays, and the Gymnasium I was at didn't use laptops. I asked my host sister if I'd be able to take mine to school with me (being encouraged to do so at my school here), and she said no, laptops aren't allowed. They don't even have a very good computer lab there - in a class of about 20, people had to pair up to be able to use the computers, which were pretty crap. I know this is only one school, but based on the lack of technology there, I'd say the scenario you're talking about isn't common.
Also, given that you have to be able to write by hand for the SC and HSC, then doing all your work on a computer isn't a good idea - your hand WILL die during an exam if you don't get enough practice writing, because your muscles won't be used to the amount of stress you'll put on them. They're about ready to drop off as is, and we do all our class work by hand, as well as lots of homework.

robot rabbit

HSC
I know some schools already got laptops and are trialling it. My school is in the second round of trials.

However i think i would prefer using textbooks over using digital textbooks. At least when you are frustrated you could hit the textbooks. When you hit a laptop, the result is rather worrying.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)