Concepts for Body of Work (1 Viewer)

picaresque

HSC
I'm having trouble developing my Body of Work - it's taken me forever to develop a concept and the one I've chosen is now heavily entrenched in perceptions of self and identity and insect morpholgy. But I am having the most difficult time developing this into a series of works (or a work at all)!!!

and to think i'm taking the painting course at NAS yet i'm still lost as to how to begin this!

mmm. so i was interested in seeing/reading about everyone else's ideas for their Body of work and how it's going - are you doing preliminary studies/sketches, research in influential artists etc etc.

please share your experience with a lost little girlie.

shrutz

im stuck too...all i know is that my bow is gunna de in ceramics...as for what im doing- no idea!

im doing the ceramics course at NAS...it kinda helps in the technical process, but no in the inspiration process!

in prelim- my major was based on a saying from romeo & juliet (which we were reading in eng)...and everything juz went from there! i got pretty good marks for it too....

So maybe you could pick out an interesting quote from a book your reading in english! wat do u think???

Fire_Hydra

ain't no other
HSC
i'm off to a slow start as well - i have heaps of ideas - but they're either Been done/overworked, beyond my ability or beyond my budget! :(

i was thinking of doin Silk Screenprinting? any comments or advice would be helpful....

peace out.

juventino

Juventus For Life
HSC
I'm doing painting at the NAS too! I'm in Peter Goodman's class(We rock ;))

I've had a gun start to the year(art wise) thanks to fellow class mates(who can't draw/paint if there life depended on it) and a great teacher(god bless her), I'm basing my body of work around the life of ***** and events , issues and actions he took that led him coming into prominence. I'm also doing my Isp on him, so that would cut back on research time (Go team me) .

Oh, by the way...what the hell do we have to do in our NAS diary for next week? I'm lost in THAT, i haven't touched it since I last went to that joint (too busy with other stuff you see...).

Adios

Daemontreu

What.
HSC
N/A
I realise I'm officially over and done with "must have a concept" business, but I thought I'd just drop a line in as to how I got my inspiration for my body of work and some other general crap that will get in the way. And I'm going to put it in dot points, because writing is just too much damn work when I'm in my bludging mode. ;)

- Pick something that interests you. You don't want to get most of the way, or even part of the way through your work and suddenly just find that you don't particularly care for it that much. It wastes time, money, patience, and sometimes can kill what was a good idea in the first place.
- Do as Shrutz says, use something recent, that piques your curiousity, or has stayed in your mind. Read books and find phrases you like - they don't necessarily have to mean anything by them selves, but they might give you an idea just from the sound. Think of recent movies, and of any ideas that might spring from them - visual, emotional, situational, physical, relational etc.
- Flip through art books. Countless numbers of them. Hundreds of them. You don't have to read the text - not unless you want to - but just look at the pictures. Go through posters whenever you're in a store that sells them (posters of anything, Britney Spears to Degas, I don't care). Isolate things you like about them (the posters or paintings), which ones sell you and which ones don't? Why do they do that? Is there a composition or colour scheme that appeals?

For me personally, my original inspiration was a quote/saying: "Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich. And madness is what keeps the man from the truth." As well as from the Venus de Milo and her missing arms. I have absolutely no idea where that saying comes from any more, and I think I've actually amalgamated two different quotes in there. But the important thing is that it worked for me. My BOW ended up almost nothing like the quote would seem to imply, but it was a starting point.

As for developing your concept as a series of works:

- What medium are you good at using? Not what you necessarily want to use, but what you're GOOD at using. This will save you time, you don't want to royally fsck up because you're using a medium you're not familiar with. You have to work with your strengths - because technical resolution does count for part of your mark. If you're planning on using a new medium, experiment like crazy NOW. Don't wait.
- While I did caution you to work with mediums you know, don't be afraid to try new things, that you haven't seen for a while, that wouldn't necessarily be applicable (in your mind anyway), or which don't really seem to go. You may be surprised, inspiration strikes at the weirdest times.
- When you want people to view your work, what do you want them to see? Do you want them to be able to physically interact with the piece? Do you want them to be distant from it? Do you want them to use their imagination... or do you want to overload them with details? Do you want it to be big or small? What will best help your concept? You have to think about what sort of representation is the best for getting your idea across to the audience.
- Don't limit yourself. There is more than one medium out there, and I'm sure you're all wonderfully talented people who can work very well in a wide range of mediums. There is a reason that there is a category called "collection of works".

Best of all, always get someone to bash your ideas to death. There is nothing more satisfying than putting your ideas through hell, and finding out what sort of interesting stuff comes out in the post mortem. They might come out worse, they might come out better, but I can always guarantee (as long as the bashing-to-death is a constructive bashing-to-death) that something new will come out of it. Either an old idea tortured into new shapes, or just a new idea altogether.

...And since I didn't actually answer any specific questions, and I have a little time to kill while I laze around, feel free to e-mail me, or message me, or batter me with questions about whatever you want (though I'm expecting things art-related). Of course, I'm not an expert, so I can't guarantee the perfect validity of anything that I say. :rolleyes:

((And to those of you doing art courses: *cheers* You're doing good already. :D))

lexy-kate

I know with concepts.. your meant to avoid the cliche.. i know that the issue of beauty and self image or whatever is about as cliche as you can get... but what other concepts are considered cliche? would consumerism be?

j'adore

i'm doing NAS painting course too! who are you?? hehe i think we're in the same class!

rubylotus11

I changed my concept like three times in my final year. I kept wanting to do different things, but eventually I settled on one which was sort of connected to my other ideas.

jaNetix

i had no concept...it became one in itself after a few paintings

i absolutley had no idea wat i jus happened to be working on would be my bow

and i think that the best thing, let it become wat it wants to be. then u can start to plan and add ideas.

pls pls pls....do not do a cliche...."this is a discovery of myself during the hardest yr of my life"..= BLAH... in my point of view

btw, mine became about the aesthetics of art..."bring art back to the visual"
i was (and still am) so sick of ppl who set out to be 'deep and meaningful' that i thought art should be...well...art. something to look at and be transported into another universe. forget everything even for just a second, and look at a work...u dun have to like it. but jus be captured.

sorry in advance to all the ppl ive offended.

ParanoidAndroid

I've been going through a lot of concepts these holidays, but I haven't fully grasped one yet.
Norse mythology piqued my interest and I was thinking of doing something with that, but I'm not sure.

I was also having a few conversations with my friends and was discussing ideas and such... they are having the same problems as me. So I'm not the only one.
I've also been 'brushing' up on my skills during the holidays and have been drawing all sorts of things with no meaning. e.g seahorses, objects, people etc...

I'm not too worried, I'm bound to think of something... eventually.

baby_gurl

i did the painting class at the NAS too. I was in Ivor's class. What really sucked is that i was too sick to go to the second week! I have wrecked my brains trying to come up with a concept, but now im thinking of carrying on the renaissance theme from Nas since i didnt get to complete it. Im not sure whether that is a giid idea or a bad one though. All i can say is if your up for getting good marks like others have said dont start experimenting now. Well,i wont be anyways. If anyone has some ideas surrounding renaissance i would luv u for eva if u could help me out :)

isitjax

HSC
N/A
its already term 1 and i havent decided on anything :( !!!!!
i came up with this kinda screwed up "concept" which was too complex to actually create an art work out of it... i thought of taking bits out of it, but the whole process of having to have a good concept is screwing me around abit, and i wanna maybe do something which has no meaning- after all, my teachers always talking about postmodern crap and how it defies conventions....
i was thinking of doing portrait paintings ala Modigliano, but im not sure. I have this wierd attraction to all those sombre, dull portrait paintings of guys in suits- i did one of my dad last year for prelim, which turned out ok. lol.
i suppose i'll wait and see- not that i have much time
jacqui

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
I wouldn't do post modern, we're in what my teacher discribed as 'super modernism' we're not parodying modernism, classicism, we're looking at them and taking the beauty from those concepts, and making new images.

I dont think it's a good idea to go into something try to be a modernist, or anything like that, cause it's really a cultural thing.

chookyn

poulet de montagne
HSC
Whatever concept you choose, make sure it's strong and "together" - it's good if it has depth and makes sense.

yeah, i know that it's really hard to come up with concepts for yr12 art, with all the pressure. Most of last year, i was either completely artistically-unmotivated, or too busy with all my other subjects. :(

My theme was sort of like "transformation of the individual", from a heart of stone to a heart of flesh, from death to life. It was a commentary on the Christian "new-birth" experience. (i wasn't 100% satisfied with the result , but i've learned a lot from the process)

i developed most of my concept as i went along. i just started with a simple idea. Once you get even one good idea, run with it! Research it, develop it, do it! Because before you know it, you'll be out of time, and the HSC will all be over. (woohoo, and might i add, it's the BEST feeling! :D)

Try to do something that you can relate to i.e. from personal experience, if possible. That way your work will come from the heart. I know quite a few people who just work with a concept for it's own sake - but they could never really get into it, y'know?

Also, try to work with a medium that you are already proficient with - saves time if you already know how to use the medium.

all the best! :)

Last edited:

soso

HSC
N/A
Great advice. You could start with a quote from something you like. book song film busticket sign anything at all to kick you off

lalaynie

My BOW is just a reflection of my personality. If the issue you chose is close to you, then it will be easy to formulate the concept, it will just come naturally. Remember, we are artists, therefore anything we do can be justified in some metaphorical way.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)