Confused on what subjects to drop. 2012 HSC candidate. (1 Viewer)

LucyZCU

HSC
Hi, guys. I have no clue on what subjects to drop.
I'm did:
Maths ext. 1
Biology
Chemistry
Legal Studies
English Advanced
Japanese Continuers

and picked up at the start of this term:
Maths ext. 2
Japanese ext.

I dropped biology but still need to drop another subject to get 11 units. I'm torn between Legal Studies (ranked 3rd out of about 50 ppl) and Chemistry (15th out of about 90 ppl)

My school rank is about 30 in the state?

And I don't know if I can continue maths ext. 2 either because it's using up all my time and Japanese ext. though we haven't done much in it yet.

For the course I want to do there aren't any pre requisites I just need to maximise my ATAR so I'm really confused on what subjects to drop.

Please help!

SXCBEAST

HSC
Hi, guys. I have no clue on what subjects to drop.
I'm did:
Maths ext. 1
Biology
Chemistry
Legal Studies
English Advanced
Japanese Continuers

and picked up at the start of this term:
Maths ext. 2
Japanese ext.

I dropped biology but still need to drop another subject to get 11 units. I'm torn between Legal Studies (ranked 3rd out of about 50 ppl) and Chemistry (15th out of about 90 ppl)

My school rank is about 30 in the state?

And I don't know if I can continue maths ext. 2 either because it's using up all my time and Japanese ext. though we haven't done much in it yet.

For the course I want to do there aren't any pre requisites I just need to maximise my ATAR so I'm really confused on what subjects to drop.

Please help!
woah you're crazy, if you cant handle the extensions, drop them but if not, drop chem, legal is the bomb :)

LucyZCU

HSC
woah you're crazy, if you cant handle the extensions, drop them but if not, drop chem, legal is the bomb :)
Thank you SXCBEAST for your reply! But doesn't chemistry scale better? Or does it not apply to me if I'm only average?

HSC
JapX is a bitch...quite a lot of work for a 1U subject. It's great fun though! So is MX2. Just my opinion. If you can try to continue in the top 3 for Legal I think it would be good. Or better, up your Chem rank as that will help you more than legal.

You also have to think about which one you like better...I mean at the end of the day you have to study it during the HSC so you have to make a wise choice! Choose what you love and then work hard at it!!

AAEldar

Premium Member
HSC
Thank you SXCBEAST for your reply! But doesn't chemistry scale better? Or does it not apply to me if I'm only average?
Don't worry about what scales better - worry about what you can do better in and what you enjoy more.

Coookies

HSC
Maybe chem because since you already dropped bio, then you won't have to think about any sciences.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Why do you have to drop a subject? Seriously. Keep going and drop them as you see fit later on.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Pick whatever subjects you most enjoy - you'll probably do better overall in those subjects. Don't worry about scaling because all your subjects scale well :)

Lis020393

HSC
For Legal Studies it'll scale very well when you're in the top 1% of your school (I think) and if you're ranked 5th, you should definitely keep it. I was ranked 5/30 at my school for legal studies in Year 11 then decided to drop it for 3U Maths in Year 12 which was a stupid decision because I would have maximised my ATAR by keeping Legal and dropping 3U Maths but I didn't so when deciding, consider what you're passionate about and what you like instead of does this scale better or not because at the end of the day, scaling really doesn't affect you when you're at or near the top of your cohort

madharris

HSC
N/A
Drop what you least enjoy / what you think will pull your marks down

I would drop Japanese extension if i were you, language extensions are really hard and take up lots of time

LucyZCU

HSC
I still have no idea because the ranks are even closer once I asked how many people are doing the subjects this year. 40 doing legal and 80 doing chem. But like I tried really hard in yr 11 to get my results in chem but hardly did anything in legal. I'm afraid I can't maintain my rank and drop.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Given your school is top 30 and more people do chem, can you ask how many people get band 6s in chem versus legal normally?

But tbh, because your year is so smart, and the calibre of student sin every subject would be good, I['d keep legal cause you did really well naturally, where chem was lots of work to get 15th.

Unless you're going to want to do a career with chem as a pre req, I'd drop that. And you like Math and Jap so tick with those extensions. They scale boss as well-even if they do take up more time than you'd envisage a 1u subject too (and heads up MX 2 will count for two units for you so remember that as will MX1)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)