Confused (1 Viewer)

Menomaths

Exaı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸lted Member
HSC
I was wondering for the standard english hsc module a distinctively visual, do we use ONLY ONE text from the prescribed list or are we allowed to use 2 from there and 1 related text? That's how my school did it but it says on the hsc paper 'choose one prescribed...' or something.

Menomaths

Exaı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸lted Member
HSC
Hmm I was thinking this too...

So this is the true disadvantage of going to a shit school... They made me prepare 3 prescribed texts and 2 related texts, each with a limit of 200 words. They expect me to write a 700 word essay in the hsc...

Recondit

ヽ(" `Д´)ノ
HSC
Wow thats pretty overkill for Standard students... From a booklet I have "Students examine one prescribed text, in addition to other texts providing examples of the distinctively visual" - so at least one text of your own choosing like AOS

Menomaths

Exaı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸lted Member
HSC
Yeah I just realized this. My school's English department is so crap...There goes my English mark lol I haven't even got a proper essay for module A

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
The prescribe text should be the main text you studied for the module. If you did multiple, then your school sucks, and you'rw going to have to just pick one. Also, make sure it's actually on the list of prescribed texts. I get the feeling that if you did more than one, then things weren't really laid out clearly.

They will probably only ask you for one additional related text (that is, a text you picked yourself that's not on any list). Plan your essay as if this is the case, but it's worth having a back up text as well, just in case they throw a curve ball.

Menomaths

Exaı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸lted Member
HSC
The prescribe text should be the main text you studied for the module. If you did multiple, then your school sucks, and you'rw going to have to just pick one. Also, make sure it's actually on the list of prescribed texts. I get the feeling that if you did more than one, then things weren't really laid out clearly.

They will probably only ask you for one additional related text (that is, a text you picked yourself that's not on any list). Plan your essay as if this is the case, but it's worth having a back up text as well, just in case they throw a curve ball.
Ranked 500 for a reason.

I've got a lot of essays prepared, but they're all shit because my school spammed like 2 assignments in one month [(right before the trials too)(and each of these assignments made us do 2 prescribed text and one related text lmao)] and also, they said to make it only ~200 words per paragraph so if I take out my 2nd prescribed text then my essays are only ~600 words. Because of their stupidity, we couldn't even make a good strong essay with at least 900+ words which included 1 prescribed and ORT

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Ranked 500 for a reason.

I've got a lot of essays prepared, but they're all shit because my school spammed like 2 assignments in one month [(right before the trials too)(and each of these assignments made us do 2 prescribed text and one related text lmao)] and also, they said to make it only ~200 words per paragraph so if I take out my 2nd prescribed text then my essays are only ~600 words. Because of their stupidity, we couldn't even make a good strong essay with at least 900+ words which included 1 prescribed and ORT
As a 600er, I feel your pain.

If you haven't already, go give this a read:

http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=257183

Menomaths

Exaı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸lted Member
HSC

writerj6

HSC
N/A
they said to make it only ~200 words per paragraph so if I take out my 2nd prescribed text then my essays are only ~600 words. Because of their stupidity, we couldn't even make a good strong essay with at least 900+ words which included 1 prescribed and ORT
How are you structuring your essay? With the 2 prescribed texts and 1 related Im guessing you were doing:
Intro
Para 1 prescribed or related? (word count?)
Para 2 prescribed or related? (word count?)
etc

Menomaths

Exaı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸lted Member
HSC
intro - 100 exactly
prescribed 1 - 200 exactly
prescribed 2 - 225
related - 195
conclusion - 104
total - 824

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
intro - 100 exactly
prescribed 2 - 225
related - 195
conclusion - 104
total - 824
My mod B is so fcked, have to remember like 2k words, to cover most of the texts.

HSC
just a heads up for people doing standard, make sure you link your prescribed and related together, somehow, somewhere in the body and not just using conjunctions such as similarly in topic sentences. Apparently, our hsc marker teacher said this was the distinguishing factor between the top bands.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
You went to a school ranked 600?
If memory serves correct.

intro - 100 exactly
prescribed 2 - 225
related - 195
conclusion - 104
total - 824
You shouldn't have a second prescribed. At this stage, your best bet is to go:

Intro

P1: Idea 1; Text 1

P2: Idea 1; Text 2

P3: Idea 2; Text 1

P4: Idea 2; Text 2

Conclusion

Menomaths

Exaı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸lted Member
HSC
Compare the ways the distinctively visual is created in Lawson’s short stories and in
ONE other related text of your own choosing.
In your answer, make detailed reference to at least TWO of the short stories set for study.

That's the 2010 question, does that mean 2 prescribed texts? :confused:

Parvee

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
HSC
Compare the ways the distinctively visual is created in Lawson’s short stories and in
ONE other related text of your own choosing.
In your answer, make detailed reference to at least TWO of the short stories set for study.

That's the 2010 question, does that mean 2 prescribed texts? :confused:
Nope its one prescribed text
Lawson's short stories is considered one prescribed text and it is composed of short stories

kinda like how for belonging peter skrzynecki's poems are a prescribed text but it is several poems

if that makes sense

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)