Confusing question!!1! :S HELP PLEASE (1 Viewer)

Lord Iron-Balls

HSC
N/A
My teacher gave us this question for homework, she said she wanted to challenge us.

x+y+z=4

x-2y-17z=56

I don't get it :S

HSC
N/A
There is no single solution for it, there are infinitely many solutions. The solution is a straight line in three dimensional space. This is not general maths level or even 4unit maths level , it is first semester university level.

Lord Iron-Balls

HSC
N/A
There is no single solution for it, there are infinitely many solutions. The solution is a straight line in three dimensional space. This is not general maths level or even 4unit maths level , it is first semester university level.
You sure??? Y would my teacher give me it then?

I think you are overcomplicating it. I just want to find x, y, and z!

nightweaver066

HSC
To solve for three variables, wouldn't you need three equations?

HSC
N/A
I'm sure my teacher is more than qualified thank you very muchh!

If she's an idiot then you solve it!
I already told you. It has infinately many solutions. You can specify a value of either x, y or z and then find the other two values to satisfy the two equations.

Tell your teacher on Monday that she is absolutely hopeless and should give up on being a maths teacher. Crap maths teachers like her are the reason why so many people are so hopeless at maths these days. Tell her that a third year finance student could teach 100 times better than her.

golradirblack

HSC
N/A
My teacher gave us this question for homework, she said she wanted to challenge us.

x+y+z=4

x-2y-17z=56

I don't get it :S

With linear equations, 3 variables need 3 equations to get definitive answers for each variable.
with just the 2 equations you can only express an answer in terms of a linear relationship between any 2 variables. (by solving simultaneously)

Your friend wolram alpha gives the answer for you.

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=solve+x+y+z==4+and+x-2y-17z==56

madharris

HSC
N/A
I remember doing simultaneous equations with 3 variables last year and yes our teacher was trolling us.

She gave it to us in the last 10 min of class, taught us how to do it, set us homework, then at the end of the lesson she actually said "jokes I'm just kidding, you don't need to know it"

HSC
N/A
I remember doing simultaneous equations with 3 variables last year and yes our teacher was trolling us.

She gave it to us in the last 10 min of class, taught us how to do it, set us homework, then at the end of the lesson she actually said "jokes I'm just kidding, you don't need to know it"
This has been posted in General Maths section. I don't even think they do simultaneous equations with two variables in general, or if they do they are very simple equations ( e.g. stuff like y=3x+7 and y=2x-5 , ones where you can immediately equate and solve). To be showing General Maths students university material is completely irresponsible. No wonder everyone is so afraid of maths.

madharris

HSC
N/A
This has been posted in General Maths section. I don't even think they do simultaneous equations with two variables in general, or if they do they are very simple equations ( e.g. stuff like y=3x+7 and y=2x-5 , ones where you can immediately equate and solve). To be showing General Maths students university material is completely irresponsible. No wonder everyone is so afraid of maths.
Maybe OP thought it was maths in general not the course general maths.

Sanjeet

HSC
lol. you can't solve this without a third equation, and even if you were given one, this is not general maths level. Your teacher is retarded

D94

HSC
N/A
lol. you can't solve this without a third equation, and even if you were given one, this is not general maths level. Your teacher is retarded
Well, you can solve it, but there are infinitely many solutions. But yes, the question as is, is not a high school level question.

zeebobDD

HSC
your teacher is trolling you, so go back to her and ask her to divide by zero:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)