Congratulations Art Express Nominees! (1 Viewer)

stephabi

HSC
HinikuTheNinja said:
From an email sent to a little bird / girl whose dad is a marker/past marker/whatever:

About Art Express... not all the artworks have been marked yet - ours for example.
On the day, if an artwork has been nominated the markers hand the principal a piece of over-rated paper that basically says "Yippy doo dah! heres something for you to brag about at the next assembly - one of your artworks squeezed out a nomination for art express - its now one of the many many artworks to get nominated - but dont hold your breath, we like getting peoples hopes up then shattering it by picking lame works from prestigious schools who can afford to bribe us."
They have to average a very high mark to get in, and its all a farce anyway :p

...sooo... Whenever yours is marked, you might hear unofficial whisperings from your teachers.
PFFT! You really think prestigious schools bother bribing markers? You think they have a pot of gold with a giant scoop which they can dip into when and where they like it? Who would they bribe, all of the marker? What if they are marked at the centre? Do they give money to ALL the markers from ALL the different types of art? Common, think about it.

Just because some people pay for education, doesn't mean they and their teachers are evil cheating jerks who only do well because they're ‘rich’. The students who get pre-selected and exhibited do so because they're good. It's horrible to take the shine of their achievements, whether they be from public or private schools.

luscious-llama

Ára bátur
HSC
N/A
stephabi said:
PFFT! You really think prestigious schools bother bribing markers? You think they have a pot of gold with a giant scoop which they can dip into when and where they like it? Who would they bribe, all of the marker? What if they are marked at the centre? Do they give money to ALL the markers from ALL the different types of art? Common, think about it.

Just because some people pay for education, doesn't mean they and their teachers are evil cheating jerks who only do well because they're ‘rich’. The students who get pre-selected and exhibited do so because they're good. It's horrible to take the shine of their achievements, whether they be from public or private schools.
Calm down for a second. Ninja girl is just quoting a friend there.
It's not quite bribing though but I have heard that some schools on the North Shore, employ a silversmith to work jewellery designs that have previously gotten nominated or high marks for the art express.

There are still many questions regarding how much post processing can be done professionally... for example I got my canvases printed at a Grammar School, but my father and I bound them to wooden mounts .... whereas those who can afford $120 per painting bound would have done it professionally.

Sigh it's okay though I understand... though sometimes I have seen some pretty horrifyingly well lets just say cliche'd works get in, then again i've been a member of deviantART, something you're rather familiar with for nearly 4 years.

xx

luscious-llama

Ára bátur
HSC
N/A
cbadvanced said:
got the letter but no idea what the 100 word statement is on about

ideas?!?!?!

i'll copy paste my pretentious 100 words when I get the letter.

stephabi

HSC
luscious-llama said:
Calm down for a second. Ninja girl is just quoting a friend there.
It's not quite bribing though but I have heard that some schools on the North Shore, employ a silversmith to work jewellery designs that have previously gotten nominated or high marks for the art express.

There are still many questions regarding how much post processing can be done professionally... for example I got my canvases printed at a Grammar School, but my father and I bound them to wooden mounts .... whereas those who can afford $120 per painting bound would have done it professionally.

Sigh it's okay though I understand... though sometimes I have seen some pretty horrifyingly well lets just say cliche'd works get in, then again i've been a member of deviantART, something you're rather familiar with for nearly 4 years.

xx
I’m sorry if I 'sounded' (there needs to be a word that's more appropriate for the internet) angry - I can assure you I wasn't. I was honestly trying to dispel a myth.

I go to The Hills Grammar School and I hear all sorts of crazy rumours - we have ATMs in the canteen, we hire artists to do the artwork for us... basically they're all naive and start to grind your nerves down after a while.

I hate the fact that my artwork is sometimes boiled down to ' it was preselected because she goes to Hills ' by other students (not just by ninja, I hear it a lot). That's just so dismissive! It truthfully sounds like complaints by jaded students. By writing that (even when quoting from a friend) you're just propagating a hurtful and untrue misconception

Being in a private school doesn't immediately give me more of a chance than every other student in the state. We are the same lot placed in different circumstances through chance. A student selected from a private school would have had the same outcome in a public school and vis versa . My achievements are my own, not my schools.

vanush

kdslkf
HSC
lol, have all the nomination letters been sent out? shit.

i got a crap internal mark (didnt finish bow) and was hoping that a good external mark would save me.

guess not. my uai is fucked.

Armic

HSC
Got my one yesterday. I hate writing artist statements, hope it won't cost me a place in Art Express... I think I might spend the whole of today editing it. Just when I thought it was all over... Xp

luscious-llama

Ára bátur
HSC
N/A
Armic said:
Got my one yesterday. I hate writing artist statements, hope it won't cost me a place in Art Express... I think I might spend the whole of today editing it. Just when I thought it was all over... Xp
I know the feeling :| I got mine today and i'm like "w t f"

luscious-llama

Ára bátur
HSC
N/A
stephabi said:
I’m sorry if I 'sounded' (there needs to be a word that's more appropriate for the internet) angry - I can assure you I wasn't. I was honestly trying to dispel a myth.

I go to The Hills Grammar School and I hear all sorts of crazy rumours - we have ATMs in the canteen, we hire artists to do the artwork for us... basically they're all naive and start to grind your nerves down after a while.

I hate the fact that my artwork is sometimes boiled down to ' it was preselected because she goes to Hills ' by other students (not just by ninja, I hear it a lot). That's just so dismissive! It truthfully sounds like complaints by jaded students. By writing that (even when quoting from a friend) you're just propagating a hurtful and untrue misconception

Being in a private school doesn't immediately give me more of a chance than every other student in the state. We are the same lot placed in different circumstances through chance. A student selected from a private school would have had the same outcome in a public school and vis versa . My achievements are my own, not my schools.

Oh that's okay, Hills Grammar isn't like some of the crazy other prestigious GIRLS ones on the North Shore :p Didn't Delta go to ur school :)?
Then again i'm from Newcastle region and only really know about North Shore schools as opposed to the hills district :( well anyway, I know judging by hte amount of effort u put in, u've deserved this. xxx

chrismund

HSC
luscious-llama said:
I know the feeling :| I got mine today and i'm like "w t f"
i got the letter today YAY
i hate describing concepts arghhhh
...i say its time to bring out the bullshitting abilities of old,
i was planning to leave my description ambiguous but these questions are pretty specific:

(for those yet to receive their letter or those that are curious)

Q1. What Issues or ideas did you explore in the making of your body of work?
Q2. What led you to investigate those concepts?
Q3. How did you go about making your body of work ( consider how your artmaking choices were linked to the concepts you had)?
Q4. Do you have any other thoughts or ideas you would like to include?

stephabi

HSC
luscious-llama said:
Oh that's okay, Hills Grammar isn't like some of the crazy other prestigious GIRLS ones on the North Shore :p Didn't Delta go to ur school :)?
Then again i'm from Newcastle region and only really know about North Shore schools as opposed to the hills district :( well anyway, I know judging by hte amount of effort u put in, u've deserved this. xxx
Well that's very lovely of you to say that about my art, thanks :) ! We're certainly not that crazy... except for me. I'm totally nuts.
...and yes Delta did go to our school.

luscious-llama

Ára bátur
HSC
N/A
chrismund said:
i got the letter today YAY
i hate describing concepts arghhhh
...i say its time to bring out the bullshitting abilities of old,
i was planning to leave my description ambiguous but these questions are pretty specific:

(for those yet to receive their letter or those that are curious)

Q1. What Issues or ideas did you explore in the making of your body of work?
Q2. What led you to investigate those concepts?
Q3. How did you go about making your body of work ( consider how your artmaking choices were linked to the concepts you had)?
Q4. Do you have any other thoughts or ideas you would like to include?
Chris you can write mine for me ^_^

mattbdatank

HSC
i got into art express n was notified a day after i sent away my statement which suggest your statement has no bearin on selection good luck to every1 else though

Hermzie

rarrrrrrrrr
HSC
mattbdatank said:
i got into art express n was notified a day after i sent away my statement which suggest your statement has no bearin on selection good luck to every1 else though
WHAT!? They've started informing people whether or not we've gotten into Art Sexpress already?? :O I thought it was early December...

kit scara

Lyres Lair, just past the pink baloon tied to the
HSC
Hey, they kind of staggered our nomination letters, they're probably doing that with the acceptance ones too. When I took my sculpture to Sydney, they said some in a particular area of the place thingie had already been accepted. I'm hoping they don't reject me just so the silly thing has somewhere to go, driving for two days just because it sucks has little appeal to me. Mind you, you guys probably made your sculptures practical and sensible and strong and things you can transport without getting every single pillow, plastic bag, gaffa tape in the whole universe and borrowing a ute to take it.

One of my friends doing art next year said they aren't allowed to do nudes in teh HSC next year. What's with that?

luscious-llama

Ára bátur
HSC
N/A
kit scara said:
Hey, they kind of staggered our nomination letters, they're probably doing that with the acceptance ones too. When I took my sculpture to Sydney, they said some in a particular area of the place thingie had already been accepted. I'm hoping they don't reject me just so the silly thing has somewhere to go, driving for two days just because it sucks has little appeal to me. Mind you, you guys probably made your sculptures practical and sensible and strong and things you can transport without getting every single pillow, plastic bag, gaffa tape in the whole universe and borrowing a ute to take it.

One of my friends doing art next year said they aren't allowed to do nudes in teh HSC next year. What's with that?
Educational "standards"
BULLSHIIIIIIIT :)

I don't expect an acceptance at all.
No fucking idea whats happening with it and personally i'm just stoked for a nom. :)
You poor thing having to take ur sculpture there, they should so totally have couriered it... for you... free of charge!

kit scara

Lyres Lair, just past the pink baloon tied to the
HSC
They made their final choices yesterday, I got rejected, so I have to go up again. The guy told me exactly how smashed up my artwork would be if they sent it by courier. What a charmer, he sure knows how to let a girl down gently. My family can't afford this trip, or time, and he gives me a week's notice to get it, while we're all flat out. Bastard BOS yanking my chain. If you guys get rejected, not that you will, what I've seen is absolutely amazing, but if you do, we can become supervillains and seek vengence een zee naiight.

luscious-llama

Ára bátur
HSC
N/A
kit scara said:
They made their final choices yesterday, I got rejected, so I have to go up again. The guy told me exactly how smashed up my artwork would be if they sent it by courier. What a charmer, he sure knows how to let a girl down gently. My family can't afford this trip, or time, and he gives me a week's notice to get it, while we're all flat out. Bastard BOS yanking my chain. If you guys get rejected, not that you will, what I've seen is absolutely amazing, but if you do, we can become supervillains and seek vengence een zee naiight.

:( *many llama hugs to kit scara*
that's terrible... so where are you from?
it's bullshit, the courier would actually take care of it for fucks sake, thats why all my schools stuff was sent via it.

<3 much love, no idea yet, i'm probably rejected too...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)