Consendation Polymerisation (1 Viewer)

micuzzo

HSC
Hi I want to know what we need to know about Consendation Polymerisation.. or even better if someone can explain it to me... its in chem contexts.. but the explaination is all over the place...

can some one please help... thank you

Last edited:

~caramello~

HSC
condensation polymer is formed when its monomers join together and it usually releases a side product in the process, which is usually water. For a condensation polymer to occur, it needs its monomers to have atleast two functional groups. (if it has only one the chain can't propogate). Functional groups include alcohol, carboxylic acid, amine etc.

You also need to know the structure of cellulose and identify it as a condensation polymer...thats one of the syllabus dotpoints.

micuzzo

HSC
~caramello~ said:
condensation polymer is formed when its monomers join together and it usually releases a side product in the process, which is usually water. For a condensation polymer to occur, it needs its monomers to have atleast two functional groups. (if it has only one the chain can't propogate). Functional groups include alcohol, carboxylic acid, amine etc.

You also need to know the structure of cellulose and identify it as a condensation polymer...thats one of the syllabus dotpoints.
thank you...

i have another question... are we still meant to learn (and know) about the 'Recyling Number Codes' of synthetic polymers?? like for example PETE1 and PS6

EDIT: plus 1 more.... should we also know about positron emmission and electron capture( or just alpha beta and gamma radiation)

Last edited:

nurdalurt

HSC
Does anyone know which condensation polymers we are required to study other than cellulose? I've done PET and nylon but there's also some stuff on Kevlar and polyester. any ideas?:(

imoO

HSC
I've seen a few past papers, and they don't really require a specific one. However, they might give you a bunch of monomers, and ask you to identify which molecule is removed in the process of polymerization. You really only need to know what a condensation polymer is (i.e. textbook definition)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)