Console wars!! (1 Viewer)

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Lexicographer
(Huy you're supposed to follow "on the contrary" with a statement)
Haha get out :p

Look at the time of posting (4am).

I was supposed to have said:

"Contrary to popular belief, you can still have many games on the GCN, even though they are on mini DVDs. Just because they are on mini-DVDs, this does not mean that you cannot have a large variety of games on the GCN" (I do not own a GCN).

Xayma was saying how it was "harder" - harder for what? To make good games? or to "evaluate" games, just because of the media used? ;)

CHUDYMASTER

Master of Chudy 'n' Curry
HSC
Meh, the way I see it - most of these consoles are simply PCs in a box that will eventually become outdated by some other Microsoft/Sony product (as for Nintendo, they will die eventually, we all know it). :(

Still, I got a Beast Pack (XBOX) for 330 bucks, which I consider a good buy. Since then I've bought Halo and Star Wars: Knights of the old republic (undenyingly THE best game) but again...these games show more potential on their PC counterparts. :cool:

I guess we'll just have to wait and see how long it takes for a better product to come out. Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if any of these consoles (even PS2) suffer the fate of Dreamcast in the next couple of years..

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Huy
Xayma was saying how it was "harder" - harder for what? To make good games? or to "evaluate" games, just because of the media used? ;)
No i was replying to Pointdexter who said he wanted to play GCN games on his Xbox, while PS2 use the same format with just different coding, GCN use a different media which would be harder to use on an Xbox but not impossible.

Huy

HSC
N/A
Xayma: My mistake (again).

Sorry, I misunderstood what you were trying to say. But what you have said is correct. :)

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Huy
Xayma: My mistake (again).

Sorry, I misunderstood what you were trying to say. But what you have said is correct. :)
No Problems, I seem to have that affect on people, its even worse in real life cause I talk pretty fast. In hindsight I probably should of deleted the rest of that quote.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
PS2 and XBox both use (almost) regular DVDs for their games, hence making them much easier to clone and cross over etc. GCN however uses a unique (and exclusive) kind of Mini DVD. Both the medium and the encoding were created exclusively for Nintendo, which is famous for its near impossibility to pirate. Anyway, I hear the GCN discs melt if you try to copy them. That may be a lie.

CHUDYMASTER

HSC
Nope, XBOX uses a special kind of DVD too...hence you can't copy them easily

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
I'm not so sure anymore actually. Perhaps in its virgin (snigger in memory of Huy) state it's a sad excuse for a "gaming console", yes. However this LinuxBox thing is rather exciting. If I can get it to work it'll be a perfect addition to my prohibitively cramped room.

Huss

HSC
N/A
well lexico u have computers for doing shit like that. a console is what it should be, just a console. not a souped up computer encased in a console. thats y sony and nintendo are doing much better than microsoft.

hurrotisrobbo

Cabbage
HSC
Huss: Crossovers happen. Why do you think we've ended up with all those crappy console/arcade imitations on the PC since they could display coloured pixels?

The X-Box is a nice and cheap medium for conversion - you could make a 'home entertainment' system out of it, and, if you wanted to, at the same time, a modem server/router, or a wireless bridge so you can have network games with your neighbours, as well as a file server...

Do with the hardware what YOU want. Just because you don't want any of the above doesn't mean the rest of the universe feels the same way.

Umm... "Mod the planet"?

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Originally posted by Huss
well lexico u have computers for doing shit like that. a console is what it should be, just a console. not a souped up computer encased in a console. thats y sony and nintendo are doing much better than microsoft.
You don't understand. The XBox is a PATHETIC console in its natural state. It has all the potential and none of the follow up. Though the hardware was at release time a dream come true for console gaming, the games are sparse and the control options are disappointing. I am trying to "save" my purchase by making something worthwhile out of it. If I can run this crate as a LinuxBox I'll be able to do a lot more with it, and Microsoft will in my mind regain at least a little bit of respect.

That said, I've had a look at the sourceforge walkthrough. I still want to play my games, does that mean no (disc) drive swapping? I know I can safely replace the HDD and install Linux through the software method, but does the box use a special DVD drive to read the games?

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Well, for the most part I agree with you. The Box isn't worth the money as a console unless you DO mod it.

CHUDYMASTER

HSC
Nope nope nope....man xbox rox my sox. the hardware is cutting edge technology, fit to support fairly demanding games, eg. Knights of the Old Republic. You could not run it on PS2 at the same framerate.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Ok, I'll grant that. I'm getting KOTOR at next oppurtunity, but just compare the number of good box games to other consoles. It's disappointing to say the least.

CHUDYMASTER

HSC
Actually, you can get KOTOR on PC or XBOX, but from what I can tell it's easier to control on XBOX AND you get a better feel on a nice big screen rather than your average 17'' monitor.

Huss

HSC
N/A
chudy, KOTORs is one good game
name around 15 exclusive xbox titles that are good games.

ok maybe im way over my head alittle but as far as xbox goes, nintendo gamecube shits on xbox. so many great games. although they may not appeal as much to xbox fanboys coz of their graphical interface, but no doubt they r good games

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)