Contest by Matthew Reilly (Matthew Reilly thread) (1 Viewer)

Raginsheep

HSC
I just got it today. Should be studying for my HSC but its more interesting. Besides, I could always rip it off for the journeys creative piece.

From what I've read so far, it seems more of the same, although perhaps more toned down than Scarecrow.

jeremiahk

HSC
I don't mean to be cynical, but that kid played way too much counterstrike.

All that quoting of the rpm and the guns he used in ice station and whatnot. mmm.

Plebeian

I bought it this afternoon (the hardcover was $30 from Angus and Robertson, minus a 20% discount to come out at $24, in case anyone's comparing prices) and so far it's enjoyable. Maybe a little heavy on the diagrams and subheadings,
and the plot's not terribly well grounded in reality (iirc, sunspots are cooler than the rest of the Sun, not apocalyptically hotter)
but I don't care because
Indiana Jones-esque ancient booby traps are always cool. Also, did anyone notice that West's eye-colour changed? At the start he has "laser-sharp brown eyes", then at the meeting of the eight nations he has "ice-blue eyes". Maybe this is explained later.

If you like Matthew Reilly's other books, I'm fairly sure this one won't disappoint you.

Raginsheep

HSC
jeremiahk said:
I don't mean to be cynical, but that kid played way too much counterstrike.

All that quoting of the rpm and the guns he used in ice station and whatnot. mmm.
Its his style of writing-fast paced hollywood action. If you don't like it, then don't read it.

Borders has it at $24.95 but techie, how'd u get the 20% discount? I couldn't even find the book at A&R yesterday.

Plebeian

Raginsheep said:
Borders has it at $24.95 but techie, how'd u get the 20% discount? I couldn't even find the book at A&R yesterday.
It was at Hurstville, maybe it was just that store (20% off all books).

PerfectByNature

I am Jack's wasted life
HSC
O_0
im reading 7 Ancient Wonders right now and ive found mistakes! argh! i know some people couldnt care less.... but i could!
on pg 13: "Supremely fit, he had dark hair and lazer-sharp brown eyes..." about Jack West.
pg 91: "His ice-blue eyes scanned the room..." ABOUT JACK AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!! grrr!

when Zaeed joins them on pg 254: "'And you, John West Jr. Captain John West Jr.'" thats what Zaeed says.... i thought it might be him being stupid, but nobody in the book picked him up on it so it was MRs mistake.

PerfectByNature

I am Jack's wasted life
HSC
yeah... i found that out last night. heh. thats really bizarre though... weird.
haha!
i love
that Australians get the power at the end! awesome! it was a good book. i enjoyed it. i do rather the Schofield books but it was still good.

PerfectByNature

I am Jack's wasted life
HSC
hmmm... true. maybe MR wishes he could do that. i know that when im writing i usually have the characters do things id like to do.

it is an excellent book though, i enjoyed it alot. i like that his books are really easy to read and dont take that long.

PerfectByNature

I am Jack's wasted life
HSC
i know! its so awesome... i find it impossible to be bored while reading one of his books... even if im not enjoying it all that much, theyre just so exciting and fast paced. i love them...

PerfectByNature

I am Jack's wasted life
HSC
Yeah, i know. that is the annoying thing about them. they are just so fast paced that you can read them really quickly.
oh well, there are other books to read while your waiting :)

PerfectByNature

I am Jack's wasted life
HSC
hahahah. good stuff.
es, Argonaut, you do have too much time on your hands. waaay too much

Nashie

Ace up my sleeve
HSC
It was a fantastic book... but where was the elevator scene! It's an MR trademark...

In Contest, it involves Bellos near the end, in A7 there are quite a few and in Scarecrow there is the unforgetable canary wharf tower one!

Plebeian

Argonaut said:
And also, have you noticed every character of MR's (save Jason and Steve) have swung on something? Scarecrow has the Maghook, Will Race used the grappling hook on the M16, and now Jack does it. But then, as the man himself said (this is paraphrased, mind) "A hero has to swing. Luke Skywalker, Indiana Jones, James Bond, they all swing on something."
There are many more similarities between the books than that.

One example is that each book features a rapid chase between fleets of vehicles: Ice Station = Hovercraft, Temple = Riverboats, Area 7 = Jetskis + helicopters, Scarecrow = cars (in France & Afghanistan), 7AW = Swamprunners. I haven't read Hover Car Racer but the whole premise seems to be chases.

There are more, I had a whole mental list once but I haven't read the Schofield books in ages so I can't remember them.

whitneyfaith

woop whoop whoop
HSC
A hero better than Shane Schofield? I haven't read it, but can anyone who has agree?

I've read all but Hover Car, and Seven Ancient Wonders (It's purchased and sitting in the back of my cupboard until exams are over) I am part-way through Scarecrow, but stopped because I am a pussy and don't want to read THAT part. Devestated, I swear.

I would have to say Temple is a favorite, as well as Ice Station.

But my favorite moment ever is when in Area 7 (i think?) Scarecrow runs over when he's found Gant tied up and slides on his knees and kisses her. ahhh I cheered out loud. Then got all jealous that I couldn't have a sliding kissing marine boyfriend. Oh well.

walrusbear

HSC
Matthew Reilly Thread

i heard this matthew reilly guy is a decent writer
anyone know where to start??

i saw one of his books in the shop. i think its name was.. da vinci's secrets??
i need guidance!

Plebeian

You might have the missed the flagrantly large Matthew Reilly thread right below the one you posted. :)

None of his books have Da Vinci in the title, it's possible you saw "The Da Vinci Code" by Dan Brown, which is one of the highest-selling books in Australian history, so if you trust public opinion, you'd have to say it was decent.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)