context for BNW/BR (1 Viewer)

B

bekmay

how often do you intend to mention context in this module??

dp624

HSC
about 1/4 to 1/3 of the main body of my essay is context

wendus

krawr.
HSC
it's called 'comparative study of text and context'
you need a fair bit.

dolbinau

HSC
Every bit of analysis should be related to context, IMO. When I mean every bit, I mean after a long paragraph for example.

The entire point of this module is comparing the representation of "In the Wild" in each text as a reflection of the values held by the Composer's and their intended audience. At least, this is how I take it.

danz90

HSC
I integrate a whole chunk of each composer's social context that influenced their perspectives portrayed in their texts, in the first paragraph of each respective text.

Then when I analyse language etc and talk about humanity's relationship with the natural world, I also mention how the composer's message in the text links back to their social context.

Social context is a really important aspect of this module.

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
I begin my focus areas with a sentence about their context

eg

"Contextually, Huxley viewed the rise of totalitarian governments and their control extending into the relationships of its peoples. It viewed the devauling of the family unit and the emphasis of the state unit.."

charlesdinio

HSC
my first 3 paragraphs are devoted to context..

mass production.. capitalism... environmental degradation

then i just go through characters and events

so probably 1/3 my essay

HSC
context as ine what was happening during the time of the composers?
about 2-3 lines for bnw
n 3-4 for br

we were told anymore there wasnt a point

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
unless the question is specific to how texts context of composition impact upon their meaning and themes.
in which case
itd be alot more than three and four lines.

dolbinau

HSC
sonyaleeisapixi said:
unless the question is specific to how texts context of composition impact upon their meaning and themes.
in which case
itd be alot more than three and four lines.
Even if it it doesn't specifically say refer to context the discussion should always be around it. See syllabus

Module A: Comparative Study of Texts and Context
This module requires students to compare texts in order to explore them in relation to their
contexts. It develops students’ understanding of the effects of context and questions of
value.

danz90

HSC
dolbinau said:
Even if it it doesn't specifically say refer to context the discussion should always be around it. See syllabus

This module requires students to compare texts in order to explore them in relation to their
contexts. It develops students’ understanding of the effects of context and questions of
value.
there's a lot more to discussion.
i can say, at least for BNW and BR:
you should talk about the portrayal humanity's relationship with the natural world, as well as social values portrayed and how these link back to the context of the composer.

i wouldn't recommend unnecessarily waffling on too long about context for the discussion in your textual analysis.

dolbinau

HSC
danz90 said:
there's a lot more to discussion.
i can say, at least for BNW and BR:
you should talk about the portrayal humanity's relationship with the natural world, as well as social values portrayed and how these link back to the context of the composer.
Isn't that just a contextual based discussion :p? That's exactly what I mean. I never actually spit out paragraphs purely on context at all. It is just part of my analysis.

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
dolbinau said:

value.
Oh I agree, but I also believe unless the question drives you down the context line hard, just make mention to it and make sure you give a clear indication to your markers you understand context and the comparisons.

dolbinau

HSC
sonyaleeisapixi said:
Oh I agree, but I also believe unless the question drives you down the context line hard, just make mention to it and make sure you give a clear indication to your markers you understand context and the comparisons.
Is this just at the beginning or what? When you talk about "In the wild" in BR/BNW if they don't specifically ask for context, do you yourself just talk about the similarities/differences and that's it? I always relate it back to context. Maybe it is overkill.

But my English teacher is seriously context context context for everything it can get quite annoying lol. She says it's the only thing that separates us from standard.

danz90

HSC
dolbinau said:
Isn't that just a contextual based discussion :p? That's exactly what I mean. I never actually spit out paragraphs purely on context at all. It is just part of my analysis.
yeah, but always remember to incorporate the other criteria too.. they are equally as significant.

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
dolbinau said:
Is this just at the beginning or what? When you talk about "In the wild" in BR/BNW if they don't specifically ask for context, do you yourself just talk about the similarities/differences and that's it? I always relate it back to context. Maybe it is overkill.

But my English teacher is seriously context context context for everything it can get quite annoying lol. She says it's the only thing that separates us from standard.
I sythesise mine thematically

Relationships, social and spiritual

Environment, social and physical

and one other I forget because I'm tired

At the start of my paragraphs about say relationships, I talk about the context of the composers and how it changes their represenations of relationships and the things that are essentially the same regardless of context.
Thats maybe 7 lines if its non-context specific. In my handwriting

namburger

Noob Member
HSC
in total prob 3 lines lool
Teacher told me not to include a huge chunk of context into your essay

dp624

HSC
OK here's a paragraph which is representative of my balancing:

The exploitation of science distances humans from the natural state, such that emotion and interaction are repressed, leading to a lower quality of life. Huxley’s Brave New World is shaped by the transformed scientific and economic outlooks caused by the World War and the Depression of the early 20th century. The notions of consumerism and industrialisation were likewise increased with Ford’s introduction of production line manufacturing. In particular, the Hatchery, a place of birth, is ironically represented as “cold beyond the summer…harsh thin light…bleakly shining.” The negative connotation in the imagery illustrates the undesirable consequences of detachment from nature, as humanity’s interactions are compromised. Similarly, controversial scientific experiments such as Pavlov’s conditioning and Spemann’s embryonics shaped the mass production of humans in Brave New World. Lenina, the ideal citizen, repeats the hypnopaedic “a gramme is better than a damn”, showing her lacking emotion through simplistic rhyming. This parallels the use of scientific jargon “decanting” and “ectogenesis,” as “the principles of mass production [are] finally applied to biology.” These scientific perversions result in reduced emotion and individuality, as reinforced through the DHC’s high modality didactic statement “conditioning aims at … making people like their inescapable social destiny.” Therefore, Huxley’s antithetical satire presents the notion that humanity’s distortion of science and marginalisation of nature compromises their quality of existence.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)