Conventions Of Speculative Fiction (1 Viewer)

saltgunner

HSC
What have you got? I haven't got...much...:uhoh: :rolleyes:

-Holding up a 'mirror' to reflect societies problems. Also a tool to create empathy with characters/circumstances

-Explore possibilites of future, asking 'what if'

-Predict reactions of individual or groups to new science or technology

What are some other conventions?

I really hate SF:hammer:

HSC
I say the only convention is "creation of an alternate world to explore the human experience". This alternate world is generally as a result of extrapolating current trends.

As for being a form of subliminal reassurance etc, those are a result of genre, not spec fic alone.

alcalder

Just ask for help
HSC
N/A
I write speculative fiction and I have no idea.

In Frank Herbert/Brian Herbert/Kevin J Anderson's latest book, "Road to Dune" Bill Ransom says in the foreword that Frank Herbert believed that "science fiction was the only genre whose subject matter attempted to define what it is to be human", using "aliens or alien environments as impetus or backdrop for human interaction. Science fiction characters solve their own problems - neither magic spells nor gods come to their aid - and sometimes they have to build some intriguing gadgets to save their skins." pg 14:2

For me, I write and read speculative fiction - which is not so much fantasy but a future modelled on the dark ages of the past and time travel back and forth and around - because I like the escape into a different place that is not the here and now.

It has interesting adventures and problems which tend to hide the romance or crime or the other genres inside it and drag you along for an amazing ride. Harry Potter, Dune, Magician, Daughter of the Empire, Narnia, LOTR etc all of them have an amazing adventure at the heart of the book that drives the story with other genre elements hidden in there. Spec fiction is more a super genre.

If you ever get a chance, go to the NSW Writers' Centre Speculative Fiction Festival. It will blow your mind!

Patar

0101 0000
HSC
Speculative Fiction is the exploration of "What If"; the extrapolation of societal angst and fears of the author's context continued to a speculated point.
It locates us in fantastic and foreign worlds with familiar elements and origins; examining the impact of change; scientific, knowledge-based, social or technological on the human experience.
The genre incorporates elements of fantasy, science fiction and even horror.

-My memorised, over-complex definition that is made of fail that I just used in the trials.

Last edited:

hjp.

HSC
i'd say the main conventions are
alternative worlds
human possibilities
technology
"what if?"
controversy

i dunno.
i hate spec fic.

kasakiki

HSC
Uni Grad
our teacher gave us this mad big list of general conventions of spec fic...if i can fnd it i'll post it.. i know one was supposedly "the use,misuse and abuse of power by authority figures"...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)