Converting text types?? (1 Viewer)

krnofdrg

Mq Law Student :)
HSC
Uni Grad
Hey guys,

How do I convert an:

essay-> Feature article?? What features would I need to change around??

essay->Interview?? Same goes for this?? What would I need to add on?? (Of course dialogue, rhet. questions).. How do i convert my essay bodies for an interview??

Thank you!!!!

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Nah, it's not difficult. To change an essay into a feature article, about 90% of your essay remains the same. But:

1. Title
2. Byline
3. An anecdote at the beginning of the article.
4. Slight word changes during the paragraphs. The odd rhetorical question here and there.
5. In the conclusion, somehow link it back to the anecdote at the beginning

If you're even bothered, write the article in two columns. Might score you some brownie points.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Nah, adding a picture is a bit overboard, in my opinion. It's not as if you have time to draw one anyway - focus more on the content of your response, rather than the stylistic features of it.

Aindan

HSC
I don't think they expect you to write in two columns, in fact they rather you not.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
I don't think they expect you to write in two columns, in fact they rather you not.
Yeah, they wouldn't expect you to write in columns. Why do you think they'd rather you not? Feature articles and op-eds are usually written in columns.

highly doubt they will make us write a feature article
And this is based on....?

yours

HSC
Yeah, they wouldn't expect you to write in columns. Why do you think they'd rather you not? Feature articles and op-eds are usually written in columns.
Because it looks gimmicky, and they are written like that to fit the pages (in magazines/newspapers), whereas this is not a concern in the HSC booklets.
Also marker comments included when there was a feature article that weaker responses used the line divider down the page rather than changing the style of writing (interesting trend). It may make a subconscious impression on the marker that you're just making it look like a feature article, rather than sound like one.

2c.

Last edited:

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Those are all fair points. I'll concede. :)

chels777

HSC
for an interview in the body make sure you have some back and forth dialogue e.g
Host: Would'nt you agree shakespeare that hamlet is fundamentally based on the struggles of humanity
Shakespeare: yes it is everyone struggles at some point in their life and thats what makes the play so appealing to the modern generations as well as my own contextual audience

thats a kind of dodgy example but you can do the same style of thing for deconstruction an interview is almost the same as a conversation except more formal and there is a host who directs the flow of it
at the start the host will introduce the person and the text= intro and then they discuss the text= body then a conclusion is made by both parties= conclusion
does that help?

herbs1

HSC
I feel like an utter cock writing techniques in feature articles

krnofdrg

HSC
Uni Grad
interview host: Greeting and question

Me : Greeting and intro

Interview host: Question

Me: Body

Interview Host: Question

Like this?? :p

krnofdrg

HSC
Uni Grad
+1

who the hell read feature articles to learn about textual features
lol true..
I doubt they would put in for out texts it would sound shit.

LOL

Probably a speech is more likely?? or interview??

chels777

HSC
interview host: Greeting and question

Me : Greeting and intro

Interview host: Question

Interview Host: Question

Like this?? :p
yeh but make sure there is a bit more interaction than that if you want to get in that top box
for example
host: "to be or not to be" fundamentally explores the dichotomy of life and death, in which hamlet guides us through the realm of human questioning.
You: i agree the ambiguous language (deconstruction etc) really allows the audience to explore the innermost worries of humanity
imagine its like a game of tennis between the people who are being interviewed and the host
btw might ask you to interview the creators of the text or certain characters you never know
you feel like an idiot when writing it because you think who would talk like this in an interview but it works i had to write a interview for my prelim yearlies on king lear did what i said above and got 18

krnofdrg

HSC
Uni Grad
yeh but make sure there is a bit more interaction than that if you want to get in that top box
for example
host: "to be or not to be" fundamentally explores the dichotomy of life and death, in which hamlet guides us through the realm of human questioning.
You: i agree the ambiguous language (deconstruction etc) really allows the audience to explore the innermost worries of humanity
imagine its like a game of tennis between the people who are being interviewed and the host
btw might ask you to interview the creators of the text or certain characters you never know
you feel like an idiot when writing it because you think who would talk like this in an interview but it works i had to write a interview for my prelim yearlies on king lear did what i said above and got 18
argg this is going to take alot of time though... I could imagine it..

My essays are 1000, 1200 and 1000 for Module A , B , C ... normally dam... planning for an interview would just absorb atleast 5-10mins T.T......

argg..... i pray for 3 essays T.T...

chels777

HSC
well to be honest i think the chances are unlikely because they want to test you analytical skills rather than your creative skills and if there is one you will be surprised how naturally the format will come to you when i had to write one didnt even plan it and still managed to do ok just remember to link to the question and the rubric and you will be fine

krnofdrg

HSC
Uni Grad
well to be honest i think the chances are unlikely because they want to test you analytical skills rather than your creative skills and if there is one you will be surprised how naturally the format will come to you when i had to write one didnt even plan it and still managed to do ok just remember to link to the question and the rubric and you will be fine
Same i did one for a speech before (highest in cohort for standard) but my only fear is interviews and feature articles T.T..

I better practice then!!

jamesfirst

HSC
lol.

Write an interview: suddenly 1000 words essay becomes 300 words

anyway, it would be dog if they ask us to write the alternatives because most people wouldn't have practiced it.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
lol.

Write an interview: suddenly 1000 words essay becomes 300 words

anyway, it would be dog if they ask us to write the alternatives because most people wouldn't have practiced it.
It's a lot fairer than asking a particular text, in my opinion - because this way, everyone is equally screwed, as opposed to some people striking lucky.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)