Cool Way to Get an 'Extension' (2 Viewers)

nightweaver066

HSC
Haha nice post.

I figured this out back in year 9 and did it for most of my computing assessments back in year 9 and 10 because i was extremely lazy and it worked every time.

Was a bit suspicious when i simply renamed .exe in to .doc, send it to one of my teachers via email and the DET attachment scanner detected it as an executable. Was tough to talk out of that one.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Awesome way to out your supposedly secret methods - considering universities and professors do come to the forums from time to time.

Last edited:

communitycolleg

HSC
Kicked out of university? I am studying computer science and I can promise you that there would no way of validating any claims.
You must be pretty daft if you think university tutors in any discipline where this would work would bother to view a forum such as this.

Twerp.

Examine

same
HSC
I'd rather go through university legitimately.

communitycolleg

HSC
Of course, we all would. And I respect that and have always done that. But I do agree that this is quite fool-proof should there be an urgent necessity for such an extension.

Things such as this I am sure would be particularly useful for a student who has heavy work commitments, which I'm sure alot of you will find in your later years of study.

I am by no means condoning such a method but I can see its reasoning and thought I'd share it.

Last edited:

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Of course, we all would. And I respect that and have always done that. But I do agree that this is quite fool-proof should there be an urgent necessity for such an extension.
Alternatively, you could not be a drop kick and actually do your assessments on time.

Are you really so naive that you think your Computer Science TUTORS (ie: Honours or phD students) would fall for this?

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A

Things such as this I am sure would be particularly useful for a student who has heavy work commitments, which I'm sure alot of you will find in your later years of study.

I am by no means condoning such a method but I can see its reasoning and thought I'd share it.
And if you had any legitimate reasons for getting an extension, I'm sure the university and the faculty would be more than happy to give you an extension for it.

communitycolleg

HSC
Alternatively, you could not be a drop kick and actually do your assessments on time.

Are you really so naive that you think your Computer Science TUTORS (ie: Honours or phD students) would fall for this?
You finished in school 2010? I've already finished a degree and I study computer science in my spare time, will probably take a correspondence course next year.
You've been at university what? 1 year? congratulations, have you learnt how to carry the one yet?

Try carrying a full-time job and studying. At the end of the day things like this help, and are useful. It might not apply to you, from what I can gather you probably still live at home and pack shelves at Woolworths. But there are people who need to multi-task and have pressures beyond university. Conclusively this is for them.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
You finished in school 2010? I've already finished a degree and I study computer science in my spare time, will probably take a correspondence course next year.
You've been at university what? 1 year? congratulations, have you learnt how to carry the one yet?

Try carrying a full-time job and studying. At the end of the day things like this help, and are useful. It might not apply to you, from what I can gather you probably still live at home and pack shelves at Woolworths. But there are people who need to multi-task and have pressures beyond university. Conclusively this is for them.

Pfortune35

HSC
been doing this for a little while actually, works best with more computer illiterate teachers, especially the ones that hate computers

communitycolleg

HSC
And if you had any legitimate reasons for getting an extension, I'm sure the university and the faculty would be more than happy to give you an extension for it.
Defining legitimate is fairly subjective. This generally only covers medical reasons. Again it will depend on a tutor. At the end of the day we're just after that piece of paper right?

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
One of my honours supervisors was also the director of academic appeals. On one occasion she was telling me about how she dealt with students trying to pull off this very thing.

Be assured that universities know this trick. Don't risk it.

Many faculties are also centralising extension granting decisions taking them out of the hands of tutors.

If you were caught you'd be done for academic misconduct.

You must be pretty daft if you think university tutors in any discipline where this would work would bother to view a forum such as this.

Twerp.
You'd be surprised.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Is this the send through a corrupt document trick? The link isn't working.

If it is, it's so well known by now. Some lecturers may be slightly more lenient, but you can be assured that if it's really important a corrupt document won't mean anything.

zehurricane

Capitalism, Ho!
HSC
Told my tutor and lecturer that i have to take someone to court.. got 2 week extension for that.. no proof what so ever..

deterministic

HSC
The onus is on the student to check if they sent a corrupt file.

It the tutor/lecturer can't read it, you get zero. No leniency should be shown.

communitycolleg

HSC
One of my honours supervisors was also the director of academic appeals. On one occasion she was telling me about how she dealt with students trying to pull off this very thing.

Be assured that universities know this trick. Don't risk it.

Many faculties are also centralising extension granting decisions taking them out of the hands of tutors.

If you were caught you'd be done for academic misconduct.

You'd be surprised.
Thanks for this, appreciate it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)